Author Topic: friendship  (Read 9733 times)

Offline snapper

friendship
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:26:43 AM »
anyone going?

will be there from the first Friday thru Tuesday the first week.  Spend most of my time at the mini creedmore range

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Lutes

Re: friendship
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »
I hope to be there Sat. through Monday.

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
Snapper, can you check a couple things for me? 

I've got 3 kids here who'd like to go, but haven't had any luck getting the needed info from the NMLRA.  I need to know if they can get from the parking area to the firing lines (rifle and pistol, probably not shotgun) in a powered wheelchair or if they need to make alternate arrangements, and who they need to contact in order to make sure they can compete using their prosthetics. 

Thanks,
Jim

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:42:53 AM »
Habu

I assume as a registered shooter you will have a parking pass?  If so, you can park right in front of the firing line.

There might be a step up, depending on where on the range you are at.  Not more than one step I think.  There should be plenty of people willing to lend a hand.

As far as shooting, I am not a range officer or in charge of anything at NMLRA.  But I would think that the range officer will be very helpful, and other shooters.  This of coarse all depends on who what and when.  I have loaded my rifle for boy scouts that happened by one morning, and most of the guys shooting with me all jumped in and did the same.  We and they had a great time.   But, if I am trying to break or set a national record, I am fairly determined at that time and would not be the best good will ambassador.

you will meet some of the best people and some of the biggest butt heads at Friendship.

Fleener

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:43 AM »
Snapper, I'm not going!   ;D  Despite my reputation as a "vehement NMLRA-hater", etc, I still carry membership forms and cards with the website URL in my shooting box.  These days I sign-up anywhere from 5-10 new members a year, most years. 

These "kids" are veterans of the recent unpleasantness over in the Mid-East.  I met them some time ago, invited them out to a shoot, and then watched them burn up half-a-case of powder trying to beat my scores with my own rifle.  Competitive, to say the least. 

For them, travel to Friendship is about a 2-3 day trip.  They want to know, before making the trip, if they can get to the firing line, and will be allowed to compete.  They don't want a repeat of past experiences when they've traveled to a match and been unable to get to the firing line, or weren't allowed to compete because of their prosthetics.   

I'd like to see them go, but I can't encourage them without knowing more.  I've not tried to contact the association--I'm not a member--but I know they have, without response. 

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
Sent private message,will help in any way I can.
Charlie

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
Snapper would probably know this and perhaps others.  I think there is a shooter named Peter Sheets who competes every year from a wheelchair and places highly in the scoring.

Part of their competing would be choosing which matches to shoot.  Some would be prohibitive while others would not.  Rather than showing up to shoot their first time, they should familiarize themselves with the opportunities available and decide which ones they want to compete in.  Out of the "hundreds of separate matches available", choosing which to shoot are daunting for all first timers and once they choose their matches they will still have to go thru the registration process, buy targets, etc.

I'm sure Charlie and other board members will go out of their way to accommodate them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
I'll be there Thursday, the 12th. I'll be in the sheep shed area trying to sell my Mr. Flintlock's Patch Lube and Bore Cleaner.

Centershot
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:37:35 PM by Centershot »

Offline Silverfox

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
My 2 sons and grandson will be camping there on Friday thru Sunday with plans to shoot several of the primitive matches and the archery matches.  Plan to also camp the next weekend with the boys and grandaughter (age 7) who wants to shoot the archery matches. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I'll be there the first Thursday. I'll be in the sheep shed area trying to sell my Mr. Flintlock's Patch Lube and Bore Cleaner.
I assume you mean the 19th since there is no 2nd thursday in that week.  Most everyone comes at the beginning of the week and are gone by then....including most of the vendors.

Any chance you could get a supply to someone who is coming earlier in the week?  He'd probably sell out.  I had a case of the old stuff and am down to 1/2 a bottle.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Dave--
 he is planning to be there on the 12th

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
he is planning to be there on the 12th
Disregard the PM I sent you.  I am assuming he will at least stay thru the weekend.  If so, then I can stop by his booth and pick some up.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:52:47 AM »
Looking foward to meeting you.

George

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:26 AM »
Just think George, your going to get to meet me too :o
The Pistol Shooter

Offline snapper

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
I forgot about Peter.  He is from Iowa as well.  yes he is in a wheel chair.

Were you able to get something figured out?

Fleener

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Phil, I don't know who's luckier, you or me ;D

George

Offline Habu

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:13 AM »
I forgot about Peter.  He is from Iowa as well.  yes he is in a wheel chair.

Were you able to get something figured out?

Fleener
Snapper, if that was directed towards me, yes.  I've got Charlie's contact info, and will pass it on when I see the kids this weekend.

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
Habu

Good, hope things work out for them.  I think they will find themselves welcomed with open arms.  They just need to get hooked up with the right people.

fleener

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 03:54:45 AM »
I'll be there either the opening Saturday or Sunday depending on work obligations
Psalms 144

Offline trentOH

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
I operate the Running Boar range, so I'll be there for the entire shoot. If you are at the shoot, take the time to stop by the range and say howdy, or better yet shoot a match! The range is located between woodswalk and the powder magazine, so you'll probably be close by some time or another.

Shoot Running Boar! It's fun, and you'll learn some new cuss words.

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 06:03:55 AM »
I wished I could go. :'(

d-a

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »
Will the vendors be set up on the 14th-15th?

d-a

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
 d-a,
Usually they are pretty well set up by Saturday evening.Some don't arrive until
late Friday. One of them from Michigan,Dick Chubb usually is in this group and last year
I helped him unload some guns from his vehicle.

Bob Roller

d-a

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Mr Roller,

Will you be there?

I only have a chance to go for this weekend and will not get a chance to shoot, but would like to see the vendors tables. Having never been and not knowing what to expect I would hate to make the trip and not get to see and meet all the vendors.

d-a

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:53 AM »
d-a,
I plan to be at Friendship only for a short time on Friday and that's it until
September. Most of the vendors that usually come like Log Cabin,Dixie,Ted
Cash,Chambers,Davis and MAYBE L&R should be operational on Saturday.

Bob Roller