Author Topic: Question for Doctors and Dentists  (Read 10726 times)

billd

Question for Doctors and Dentists
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
I anyone would know, I figure it would be the medical pros with your spotless fingers.

How do you get inletting black off your fingers?

I just walk past the bottle and it jumps out and gets all over me. After an entry thimble inlet I look like the miners I used to see coming home from work when the coal breakers were still operating in my town.

Thanks,
Bill

George F.

Re: Question for Doctors and Dentists
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »
I'm no doctor. Have you tried Fast Orange hand cleaner? works for me., followed up with a hand washing with dish detergent. The worst for me is cleaning up after a day at the range.   ...geo.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:50:40 AM »
I use my shirt tail, to my wifes chagrin.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:02 AM »
I wad up a little piece of cloth and pinch it in some old forceps. I charge this very lightly with black, so light the black hardly shows on the metal, but shows great on maple.

This method is pretty neat.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
That's easy - don't use it.  I just made a little oil lamp and soot things that need inletting.  The soot washes off easy with dish washing detergent.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

D. Bowman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:41 AM »
I'm with Long John on this one . I hate the stuff ,candle soot is all I use.

D.Bowman

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:37:22 AM »
Do like the medicos do- wear rubber gloves.  Seriously.  I also use a small kerosene lamp I made from a .30-30 cartridge case soldered to a flat washer for a base, piece of clothesline rope or many pieces of yarn for a wick.  Use an eye dropper to soak it with kerosene, l drip it on until the case is full and the wick soaked.  Reapply as necessary.  I use a .38 special case for a cap.  Cigarette lighter to light it.  I also gave up on the inletting black.
Herb

Offline Benedict

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
When I need a transfer color, I start out rubbing graphite on the part with a pencil.  When it gets close, I usually use inletting black applied thinnly with a brush.  Yes it gets on stuff but not too much.  Wipe it off with a paper towel then wash with soap and water.  Using a cleanser like GoJo is a good idea that I will try.

Soot certainly works very well but I am not comfortable with the idea of an open flame setting on the bench for long periods of time. 

Bruce

Offline albert

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:29 AM »
I use the small mascara sponges,but still get the stuff on me,baby wipes cleans fingers pretty good.
j albert miles

Scott Semmel

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:18:38 AM »
Had the same problem, darned stuff turns the whole world shades of dark gray! After my first build I started useing the blue stuff Dixon sells, it's water soluble and washes off easily.The size bottle they sell now is a life's supply unless you are a truely prolific builder. Majic markers and soot didn't work for me but they sure do seem to work for others.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »
I use my Ray-vin sight smoker to apply soot for inletting. For nastty hands try dawn dishwashing detergent followed by Boraxo. That the recipe for getting caked on MG and Jaguar crud off your paws....Worked pretty good for printer's ink too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
I use those Sanford Magnum Permanent Markers.   They are not nearly as messy.   I still use a little candle soot from time to time on delicate parts.

Offline Woodbutcher

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
 Herb, that little gadget sounds so good, that I are gonna make me one! Don't even need pictures. Thank you!    Woodbutcher

Bucksnort

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:08 PM »
 I use the inletting black, and when done I wash everything with break clean the spray stuff you use for the breaks on your car. I wash off the part to be inletted the stock and by the time I'm done my hands are clean. There is a little left in the mortice inbeded in the wood but it is dry and dosent go any farther. Metal parts come out sparkling clean. Duane

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
I always liked candle soot.  Right up until my shirt caught fire. :o

No harm to me except the elevated heart rate.
Best regards,
Dale

Tony Clark

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
Years back on this forum someone pointed out that one never finds evidence of inletting black on an original gun. I think after a while a person gets to know where wood will need to be removed and of all the tricky areas that hang up that aren't immediately obvious. Sometimes just looking at the wood will reveal a shiny spot that needs to be removed. If something still won't go down I still use a magic marker, but truthfully for most things I don't use any at all. I just carefully study what it is I am trying to inlet and "figure it out". Regards, TC

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Scotch-brite, soap and water.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
I have used the stuff for 30 years and don't get any on me. you are using too much.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
I have an old kerosene lamp I got when I was about 10 years old. I always smoke the part with it sans chimney. Its a sentimental thing and works great.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:16 AM »
  I have to clean for hours just so I can do alittle soldering.....If I used candles or lamp black I think I'd be homeless and divorced(again) ;D.
  When I use it, I just use the smallest amount of inletting black mixed with Vasoline. It doesn't stain the wood (unless you let it sit in the sun all day) and wipes right off your hands and parts. I apply it with a artist brush so im not touching it much anyway. I have been milking the same tiny bottle of inletting black for like ten years!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 03:29:23 AM »
  I have to clean for hours just so I can do alittle soldering.....If I used candles or lamp black I think I'd be homeless and divorced(again) ;D.
  When I use it, I just use the smallest amount of inletting black mixed with Vasoline. It doesn't stain the wood (unless you let it sit in the sun all day) and wipes right off your hands and parts. I apply it with a artist brush so im not touching it much anyway. I have been milking the same tiny bottle of inletting black for like ten years!
Yes the black with petro jelly mixed in does just fine and using a small brush. When it runs low which isn't often simply mix in more petro jelly!

A word on the open flame - not too safe in particular if you quit work and forget the candle.... :o  I do recall that Herschel had a bad fire caused by an errant open flame at least that is the story! :-X

billd

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I know about soot, but where I work I'm not comfortable with an open flame.

I never thought of baby wipes. I'll try them. I'll pass on the scotch brite. I use alcohol and/or Dawn dish detergent.  I'm a machinist and my hands are always full of small nicks and cuts. The black just imbeds itself in them and won't come out.

I don't think I use too much. I use an acid brush to apply it. I've built about 12 longrifles and stocked several doubles and a few modern rifles. I'm still on my first bottle, about half left. It's about 15 years old and still good. It must last forever.

What is the blue stuff Dixons sell?  Is is Hi-Spot machinist blueing? I would be afraid of that staining the wood.

Tony Clark

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »
:o  I do recall that Herschel had a bad fire caused by an errant open flame at least that is the story! :-X

If its the bad fire your talking about that burned his previous shop down, that was due to letting a "friend" use it while he wasn't around...friend lit the woodstove, left the damper open, then went into the house while shop was warming up. It warmed up alright! At least that is what Herschel told me. Regards, TC

Clay

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »
It *is* a problem...I *am* a doctor (allergist) and I'm always explaining to patients what this or that color on my fingers represents. They actually seem to be interested! Actually, what it does represent is forgetfulness. I have my wife buy latex gloves for me at Costco in multiple box lots, but I occasionally forget to put them on. They always work when used. No surprise, I guess. Sometimes waterless hand cleaner works after a memory lapse, especially for inletting black, but iron/vinegar stain and penetrating stains and dyes tend to seep into the skin layers and stay there until the skin renews itself. Fresh scars or finger tip splits tend to stain black and stay black with the stains and dyes. Any solvent good enough to remove most dyes and stains...like acetone...will also damage the skin and tends to cause more of the dreaded thumb tip splits. I do use it once in a while, holding the soaked piece of cloth in a *gloved* had to rub away a small spot on the other hand. You probably all know that vinegar will remove uncured epoxy from your hands.

Clay
San Jose

mykeal

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Good old Lava. They now sell it in a semi-liquid form in a bottle with a pump like the hand cream SWMBO uses.