Author Topic: My 2nd Bucks County Build in progress...Completed... pics added 7/14  (Read 15762 times)

Offline Tom Currie

I thought I would share some pics of my 2nd Bucks County build in progress as I near the homestretch. I finished most of my engraving in the last few days, a very mentally taxing yet satisfying experience.

One of the comments I receive most years at Dixons is to improved the edge on my carving tools for a better end result. I have taken that to heart hoping to improve my end result. I have yet to define my incised cheek carving pattern but have spend extra time on my V tool to make the execution as clean as I am able to.

This rifle is built around a Rice A weight .36 caliber 42" barrel and a Chambers Golden age lock. Reeves Goerhing Verner buttplate and a Bucks trigger guard of unknown origin.

The entry pipe is not pinned yet so it's showing some gaps that will be closed when its permanently in place.

My cheekpiece star is alternating silver and brass. I like to build in a historical context and  had some concerns as I wanted to stay away from contemporary design. I have seen Lehighs with brass and silver cheekpiece design but not on Bucks County guns. I bounced my idea off of myfriend Eric Armstrong and he encouraged me to go for it. Something a little different.

Disclaimer: I am a poor photographer

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:43:37 PM by Tom Currie »

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: My 2nd Bucks County Build in progress
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
Great looking gun.. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Gary Tucker

Offline staggerwing

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 04:31:16 AM »
I like your star!  Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished gun! 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »
Tom, great to see you tackle something I think is a stretch build for you- later style, a different school, more engraving.  Very cool and it's looking good.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
Looking good so far. That is not an easy build but it looks like you are up to the challange. Keep us posted.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:32:13 AM »
 Looks Good Tom, I am still at the point where I sent you the pix. What was that 3 years ago :) One day.

Tim C.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 02:32:00 AM »
Tim, I remember. Rich, You are correct. Bama, Gary and Stag, thanks for nice feedback.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »
Tom,
It looks nice, but for a Bucks rifle, I'd question the use of that trigger guard, and maybe trigger, but I can't see it clearly enough.

As I'm sure you know, they're were basically three Bucks County makers, Shuler, Verner and Weiker, and all three used guards with a large lug at the front of the trigger bow, and all three used fancy curled triggers.

That's not to say you couldn't build a Bucks rifle without these features, but as far as I know, these features are two of the defining traits of Bucks County guns.

John

John Robbins

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:25:36 AM »
John, While the poor picture does not show it , the trigger I made has a curlique a bit fancier than the RCA Weiker gun but not quite as fancy as the Verner or Shuler.

You are right on the trigger guard, a good eye you have. I bought this at Dixon's many years ago, from a woman who was selling her late fathers extra parts, it's got thumbnail finials but it does lack a more rubust front post.

Thanks for taking a look and responding.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Tom,

I like it!  It is really delightful to see the progress my friend is making in his journey in gun-making.  Kee4p at it!

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »
Tom - your rifle is looking fantastic!  You've certainly honed your tools, will you show us what you have in mind for buttstock carving?  The triggerguard looks like the Wm Antes triggerguard that Reaves sells (I've got one right here), I think it's perfectly acceptable to use even though it doesn't have the same boss as on some of the other guards.  I too like the silver and brass star. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 02:50:27 AM »
Long John, Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to have you guys in my corner.

Eric, I am leaning towards a similar carving pattern as the Andrew Verner rifle , it was also used in a less refined rifle by Jacob Daub Jr. I have found it very hard to change the pattern very much and be happy with it.

The other Bucks pattern I really like was used by AP, I believe Shuler used elements of this type of carving.

I have had a difficult time making decisions on this rifle. Yesterday I finally laid brass wire in much the pattern and places as the Verner rifle.

The end result I believe will be, very very humbly, something believable that could have come out of the Verner shop. Maybe with an apprentices hand included.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 04:34:18 AM »
Eric, I looked at William ANtes RCA 53 trigger guard and mine is very close, as you suggested. Same designs on the bow. The one thing that is different is mine has a thumbnail finial on the front extension. I picked this one up many years ago at Dixons from  a woman selling her late fathers left over parts. 

Offline Tom Currie

Re: My 2nd Bucks County Build in progress...pics added 6/13
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
Thought I would add a few pics today for those interested

I completed incide carving yesterday on the rear cheek side and tang area. The cheek carving is based on the outstanding Verner rifle. I pretty much changed most elements on the lower half and a few other spots . Hopefully it is believable as something that could have come out of the Verner shop.

As always comments yeah or nay are welcome.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
Keep on rockin, Tom. Great looking carving and stock profile. Please finish it up for Dixon's!

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
Outstanding layout and execution.  An old dabbler like me would be delighted to be able to do that well.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
 Well done Tom, fine work, looks Great.

Tim C.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Yup, that's coming along real nicely.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »
Which tools did you find most helpful for the incised carving??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments.

Tim, Almost all of the volutes and other small details were done by stabbing in chisels and then running a parallel stab to take a sliver out wood out. For example the outside outline of the flower in the middle is basically a 9/3 straight down and a then 9/4 outside of the first cut in at an angle so the sliver pops. The inside curves are a 9/3 followed with a 9/3 to take a sliver out making a little bit smaller arc. I practised this several times .

Tools I used to stab in this fashion are 9/2, 9/3, 9/4, 8/4, 7/4 and a 6/5. I also use a 3F/6 fishtail gouge. I ground a little of the arc off the 9/3 amd 9/4 other wise the cut gets a little U shaped.

I incised carved the longer stretches with a 15/3 60 degree V tool. I cased it with a hammer in much the same manner as I engrave metal. This provides lots of control rather than pushing.

I did a lot of work on my V tool. There was a tutorial posted recently on tools and specifically mentioned the Swiss made Pfiel V tool chisl as having a design flaw that made the heel get wider from the cutting edge. I altered as described and then re-ground and polished an edge. Then I did testing on scrap maple to make sure I could cut perpendicular to the grain without tearing or seperating fibres on the edge of the cuts.

I have since wet the cuts and am recutting areas that closed up due to compressed wood fibres rather than a clean cut without compression. I'd rather do this now than discover the cuts closing when stain and finish is applied.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
Tom,

That's turning out REAL NICE!  What a delight to see this rifle coming together!

Take your time and move confidently ahead.

Best Regards,

John & Ollie

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:15 AM »
That buttstock looks great! 

I had a gun that was real ornery when it came to the carving. It just wouldn't cut well no matter how sharp, or what angle of attack I tried. I use a V tool too for incised carving. I managed to clean up the incised carving after the first coat of finish was applied by "burnishing" the grooves with a carbide scribe. I know- unorthodox as heck, but I was desperate. I put on my optivisor, inserted the scribe into the cuts, and very slowly worked my way along smoothing out the cuts.  It worked quite well, but you must go very carefully so you don't run out of the cut.

So, my point is that if you end up with some wobbles in your lines, you can even things out later too.

Offline Tom Currie

Re: My 2nd Bucks County Build in progress...Completed... pics added 7/14
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Wrapped it up yesterday. Thought I would share some pics.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:22:24 PM by rich pierce »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Well done, Tom!  You really knocked it out of the park with the quality of the cheek side buttstock carving.  Nice job on the wire inlay as well.  Excellent work!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
Very nice looking rifle Tom.  I really like Bucks Co. stuff, and this one is a great rifle to emulate.  You've pulled it off very well indeed.  I love the way you shaped up the lower forearm.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.