Author Topic: Interesting club shoot  (Read 4765 times)

Offline okawbow

Interesting club shoot
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Just got home from an interesting muzzleloader club shoot today. We shot offhand at 25, 50, 100, and 125 yards. The 25 yard target was 6- small bulls, 1 shot each. The 50 yard was 3 shots in a larger bull, 1 each in 2 small bulls. The 100, and 125 was 3 shots at each range in a larger bull.

I shot my 40 year old 54 flintlock against a dozen or more caplock shooters. My gun was going off really fast and consistent today. I had one flash in the pan today, from trying to use the minimum amount of prime, but I noticed most of the cap shooters had at least 1 FTF, also. Somehow, with my old eyesight, I managed to win the match by 34 points. I had a very good 100 and 125 yard target. It's been years since I won a muzzleloader match, and it's especially sweet to have won against everyone else shooting percussion rifles!
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Interesting club shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:00:42 AM »
It's been years since I won a muzzleloader match, and it's especially sweet to have won against everyone else shooting percussion rifles!

In most of the matches around this area where there is only one rifle category, rather than both a percussion and a flintlock category, the percussion shooters outnumber the flintlock shooters by at least 2 to 1.  Yet more matches are won by flintlock shooters.  One guy is always saying, "Rocks Rule", and being almost exclusively a flintlock shooter I agree.  Sooner or later the "Spark Side of the Force" will lure everyone in.  ;) 
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:03:07 AM »
To win a 17 shot match by 34 points is an impressive win. Congratulations!

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17:38 AM »

"In most of the matches around this area where there is only one rifle category, rather than both a percussion and a flintlock category, the percussion shooters outnumber the flintlock shooters by at least 2 to 1.  Yet more matches are won by flintlock shooters.  One guy is always saying, "Rocks Rule", and being almost exclusively a flintlock shooter I agree.  Sooner or later the "Spark Side of the Force" will lure everyone in.  ;)
[/quote]

I just recently came back to this club after 40 years absence. Back then, there were lots of flintlock shooters. Now, there is only one other who even says he owns a flintlock rifle. When I got there today, no one seemed to think I had much chance of doing well with the flintlock. I'm hoping some of the others will get the "bug" after seeing my score, and we can get some flinter matches going.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:18:26 AM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

ken

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:54:23 AM »
That is pretty good shooting . At my club it is about 50/50  flint to perc. but I have to admit  the percussion seem to have the edge on winning. We flint shooters do give them a run for there money though.  Good shooting and keep getting them   ken

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
 Yesterday at my club( Looking Glass Longrifles)  west of Lansing we had eighteen shooters seventeen flintlock shooters and one percussion shooter . The other club I belong to( Brothers of the Wind) is all flintlock shooters .On the woodswalk it is ONE fall of the hammer you have a clach it is a miss .Don't punch paper at our shoots.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
I'm with MI Flinter!!! I never had a clatch but I only hit half the targets. By the way, Eric, have you checked the size of you touchhole yet? Spittin BIG SMOKE & FIRE there!
It was good to shoot with you! Did you notice the woodswalk was won by a factory flinter, over mostly customade rifles! Even a blind hog.....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:33:12 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
I'm MI Flinter!!! I never had a clatch but I only hit half the targets. By the way, Eric, have you checked the size of you touchhole yet? Spittin BIG SMOKE & FIRE there!
It was good to shoot with you! Did you notice the woodswalk was won by a factory flinter, over mostly customade rifles! Even a blind hog.....

"It's not the arrow; it's the Indian." I think a good shooter can make most any rifle work well enough to win. I fell and broke my poor old rifle in half last year while deer hunting. I put it back together, and it still shoots. The barrel is only 30" long, but it's a good one, as is the lock. I'm building a new rifle with a 48" barrel, so I will be able to focus on the front sight. Should make seeing the long range targets easier. I used the same sight picture at all the different range targets. I used less powder at 25 yards and a heavy load at 125 yards. Worked out well. Most of the hits were right on for height.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
Good shootin'.

Congrats and DO it again!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
Good shooting Okawbow!  In my opinion it's not the lock ignition used, it's the person behind the lock applying his/her shooting skills they've learned throughout the years.  Nicely done!
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days