Author Topic: Seating a breech plug  (Read 14812 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Seating a breech plug
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 02:03:39 AM »
.... Who wants to take on a .50 cal. with a .562 plug ???? Photos please....
I hate that combo....

Dave

I don't want to take that on.

For a 75% thread engagement on a 9/16-18, use a 33/64" hole. That will just about take out the rifling. It doesn't leave much metal interference in the threads.

I like coarse thread, as in 3/4-10, there is more cross sectional metal engagement. Tap drill size 21/32.

Handy on-line tapping chart: http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/taphole.htm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:10:41 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

whetrock

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Whetrock, can you give us a rule of thumb on the number of threads on a breech plug
and any variables that would change the # of threads?
Bear,
You are asking a valid question, but it’s not an easy one to answer. It’s kind of like asking how close you can get to the edge of the grand canyon without falling in. It’s best to stay behind the guard rail. I understand that "a rule of thumb" is a guardrail of sorts, but any discussion of minimums assumes certain quality in materials, consistent technique, and expert skill in the application of techniques. We don’t have that here. Yes, variables. Variables are the problem. Barrel makers and plug makers are using various kinds of metals and different techniques in production. Builders use varying techniques as well, with varying levels of skill. And the end users “inflict” their own abuses, too, introducing even more variation in their choices regarding powders, load, and cleaning. All that variation and those variables make it tough to reasonably discuss minimums. It should also be obvious that any discussion of minimums introduces potential liability risks.
I’m not a professional gunsmith. Even if I were, I would not/could not take on the responsibility to define or even to discuss minimums in any sort of authoritative way.
But I can refer you to some published references. These do not answer your question specifically, but I think they may be useful.

To show historical continuity in the principle of bottom tapping, I’ve listed three references, from 1771, 1883, and 2014.
Regarding the length of plug, I’ve listed three references (but two of which are related). I know that many of us don’t have access to these books, so I’ve quoted excerpts.

Sprengel. “The Gunmaker and Gunstocker”, published in 1771. Translated in JHAT, June 1988, III, p 25-28) (Figures refer to a woodcut image published on page 26 of the JHAT volume. All notes here are from that translation.)

“(p 26) As is well known, a breechplug [Schwanzschraube, or literally tail screw] is screwed into the breech [here unterste Mündung eines Laufs or “lower mouth of the barrel”], and therefore threads must be cut into this opening. The pointed thread tap [in] Fig.XIII “a” [starts the thread in] the hole first, and in order for this stout tap to be easily turned, a tap wrench [Windeisen, or winding iron] “cd” is attached to its square shank “c”  (p28) while tapping. The same is also true for the bottoming tap [kalibermässignen Bohrer or gauged bit] Fig. XIII “e,” with which the female thread is finished out for the breechplug. The last tap therefore must be of a [constant diameter for its full length], like the breech plug. The [threads of the] breech-plug are cut with the screw plate [the word Schraubenmutter is also used here; it also signifies a nut or female thread] Fig. XIII “f”, which the bottoming tap “e” fits exactly. Therefore, the bottoming tap “E” with its accompanying screw plate “f” form a powerful cutting mechanism.”

Stelle and Harrison. The Gunsmiths Manual, first published in 1883. reading here from 2013 edition. p 166- 169.
Stelle and Harrison first note that they have occasionally seen breeches tapped with a “blacksmith’s tapered tap” and plugged with an accompanying tapered plug. But they criticize that technique (as well as breeches made with a crooked thread), and pick up with the following:

“Let the workman discard all such ways of breeching guns. Let him procure a set of taps of the sizes and threads as noticed in the beginning of this article, and “stick to these sizes.” … Breeching taps should be made in pairs, one tapered a little and its mate made straight and with a full thread, so as to cut full at the bottom where the thread terminates.”

They also describe how to make a tap with a protruding “stem or projection” that will help the tap align with the bore. (They provide woodcut image, figure 36, and the image shows the tap made with bottoming threads. A similar tool, tool #1, is shown on page 64, plate 46, of Dillon’s “The Kentucky Rifle”, 1967 edition.)

From the current TOW website, downloaded June 11, 2014:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1012/1/LABOR-BP
“Zero clearance bottom tap: nearly all muzzle loading barrels are factory threaded for the plug. None are completely finished inside. Only the machine work is done. The final bottoming tap step must be completed by you, by hand.
A factory finished bottoming tap has one (1) thread relieved (chamfered) to allow the tap to be easily started. Make a special zero clearance bottom tap, by grinding the end of the tap perfectly square, with no chamfer. This special tap will be a bit more difficult to start, and may "chip" the front tooth, when you hit bottom. This is normal.”

Buchele, Shumway, and Alexander. Recreating the American Longrifle (here reading from the 1983 edition, p 28-30)
“The depth of the threaded portion of the barrel breech, and therfore [sic] the length of the breech plug, is a matter of concern. Old barrels typically had a very coarse thread and usually the length of the thread was about ½ inch. In recent decades barrel makers often provided barrels with a thread depth of 5/8 inch, or even ¾ inch. Such threads lengths are suitable for the extra heavy barrels of bench rifles. But in recent years the makers of barrels for off-hand rifles have determined through tests that a properly fitted breech plug of ½ inch length is suitable for a barrel of almost any caliber.”

Note the words “a properly fitted breech plug”. They do not specifically mention bottom tapping, but their diagram (page 28) shows a plug with no thread relief on either end, and shows a breech that has been threaded with a bottoming tap.

Alexander. The Gunsmith of Grenville County, 2002, p 63-65.
Peter Alexander (who co-authored the Buchele, Shumway and Alexander volume listed above) continues that discussion in his own book, where he repeats some of the information that was provided in _Recreating_.

“Original rifles had breeches never more than a depth of ½ inch and often less. Recent tests have proven that a depth of ½ inch is quite safe for any caliber and load, assuming the plug is properly installed.”

Alexander does not specifically mention bottom tapping, but his diagram in fig.2 show a plug with no thread relief on either end, with total length marked as ½ inches, and with the hole bottom tapped. His fig. 3 similarly shows a breech that has been bottom tapped.

Ehrig, Miller, and Dixon. The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. (3rd printing, revised. p 22-25.
“If one is cutting the threads for the breech plug alignment, keep in mind that the length of the threaded plug should be at least as long as it’s diameter. Longer if desired. This is the maximum for mechanical strength.”

They do not specifically mention bottom tapping. Their diagram (p 23) is a sketch, but it seems to show a breech that has been bottom tapped. No thread relief. It is labeled “Proper Plug Fit—No Gaps” and “Plug Length Equal to Diameter”. Their diagram on p 24 also seems to show a hole that has been bottom tapped.

I hope this is useful. I know we have spent a lot of time on this already, but I think this is an important topic that needs careful consideration.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:11:14 PM by Whetrock (PLB) »

whetrock

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
P.S. If I have any bad typos in that last post, let me know!  My eye sight is not good, and it's tough for me to see typos.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
I have problems reading things on the screen. Probably mental ;D

One must understand the strength of a threaded joint.
A 3/4x16 with a 3/4 long threaded portion has a proof load of about 20000 pounds for a low grade bolt. Breeches are "low grade" since in most cases the breech plug and the barrel are "soft" and not heat treated as a grade 8 bolt and nut would be.

http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/bolts/proofloadtensile.htm

If we then consider the surface area of the bore in square inches we can find the breech thrust by multiplying the exposes area of the plug in square inches by the estimated pressure per square inch.  The difference between the proof and tensile is why its almost impossible to blow a modern breech plug out no matter how slopply its installs so long as the thread engagement is "standard". Thus when someone tells us that their poorly fitted plugs have never blown out we can have an understanding of how this is possible.
Anyway if we consider the GROOVE dimension on a 50 caliber barrel we have a surface of about .22 square inches based on a .522 diameter (and my math). So if we are running 15000 psi we get 15000x.22  we get something around 3300 pounds of breech thrust. So a 5/8 long 5/8 or 3/4 fine plug will contain it easily.
HOWEVER! in fitting breeches we have to be VERY careful for a couple of reasons. 1. Someones face is "right there". 2. Bolts have ROLLED THREADS not cut threads. Cut threads are considered weaker than rolled. So its better to be a thread or two too long than a little too short so for MOST applications 5/8 to 9/16 . I DO know that frighteningly short 3/4 plugs (5 threads or less) will not blow out of a 54. But this is no reason to USE excessively short plugs.

NOW barrel wall thickness. The critical point is at the end of the threaded hole where it meets the bore. The WALL at this point is a high stress area and if the breech is turned in really hard on the shoulder this is where the stretch takes place. This is why barrel diameter at the breech is important. We know for example that with modern steels like 4150 that very thin walls (look at modern revolver cylinders) will stand 50000 psi operating pressures.  However, is we try to make a ML with a .80 wall thickness its impossible to thread the bore and have wall decent wall strength for the lock up. The lockup in breechloaders is invariably in the ACTION. The ML lockup is in the barrel and the barrel at the breech must have adequate dimensions.
While modern materials and tolerances blown plugs are virtually unknown they DID occur in the past when materials were at best questionable and serious metallurgical flaws virtually assured.
SO....
1. Make sure the tap size is such that it will cut close to full thread in the hole being tapped. 2. Make sure the plug fits the treads to at least industry standard, 75% or more. 3. Use a BOTTOMING TAP, you will have to file s little on the threads of the plug even then most likely. 4. Make sure you measure the length of actual thread ENGAGEMENT, not just the length of the plug. 5. Make sure the barrel wall is sufficient to produce the strength needed after being tapped. 6. Seat the plug to the rebate face with moderate torque. A 12" wrench with a fair amount of pull is OK.
However, one must work up to this using a GOOD slick lube (I like STP Oil Treatment) and once within about 1/2 to 1/4 flat (depending, this takes experience to learn) work the the plug in and out 6-10 time using moderate torque to see if it works its way in. Before taking more off the face. Why? Because failure to do this may result in the plug turning in to far if its ever removed and reinstalled. Such as with a breech that is casehardened as part of the finishing process or some user removes it to get a stuck ball out. As mentioned this is best learned by experience.

Now for those, and there are some here that adhere to a poor fit can't be blown out so why worry about fitting the breech face?
The reason is several fold. 1. Leaving a gad at the breech face increases breech thrust. 2. It forms a foulng/oil trap that can affect RELIABILITY besides making it impossible to get all the fouling out.
Cleaning. In my experience BP fouling that may be left that is then covered/soaked with oil is not especially corrosive and may not attack the metal at all.
HOWEVER. There there are propellants in use out there that are much more aggressive in attacking steel and leaving this stuff in a barrel can result in extreme corrosion and even "crawdad holes" where the material finds a corrosion friendly area and eats its way from the inside out creating a spontaneous "vent". This is NOT theory though it was predicted many years ago in some correspondence fro Bill Knight and I have on relatively recently received reports of this very thing.
I believe that all gun work needs to be done in a workman like manner with safety and reliability being as important as fit and form if not more so.
The excerpts provided by Whetrock are excellent and show that these things are no new. They explain what I have done for years. Its has been repeatedly described in various contemporary writings from at least the 1960s when I started reading Muzzle Blasts.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline whitebear

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
Thank you Whetrock and Dpharriss for the informative replies.  This just shows that an old dog (me) can still learn new tricks.  My apologies to the author of the original thread I didn't intend to steal your thread, I didn't expect such in depth answers.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

aross007

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:07 AM »
No apology needed - the depth of the responses helped me to verify that I was doing the right thing, there are no short cuts, and it is important to be extremely careful with this step.

Thank You All,
Alan

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
Gentlemen - Thank you for such an explicit instruction on the proper means of seating a breech plug. You make the process understandable. This is why I enjoy this forum so much. You are the very best of Americans still making American longrifles by hand.

With the advent of this forum, you have integrated the knowledge of all the separate schools and their makers, to truly replicate the rifles, and now maintain the mastery to rebuild any of these individual rifles. in the past, constructing the original rifles, an apprentice learned only what that maker knew, no more.

This forum is a university comprised of any of a number of independent institutions or colleges, each having its own teaching staff, and that has combined all the schools or colleges to impart understanding of building the American Longrifle.

And that is why I am here to learn to build an American Longrifle. You teach well.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:46:16 AM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
...and you will find guns where the breech plug rattles in it's barrel. The wood is what keeps it from unscrewing.

But this day and age we have the means for making our breeching safe and secure. So there is no excuse for shoddy fit-up.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.