Author Topic: who installs swamped barrels  (Read 15846 times)

chenry

who installs swamped barrels
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:27:58 AM »
who in Pa. can install a rice swamped barrel in a new stock  Dixon cant till Aug. same with knob.

g rummell

Re: who installs swamped barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:37:45 AM »
Check with Mark Wheland. He's a forum member and you can send him a PM.

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:36 AM »

chenry

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
he cant do it till August
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:42:56 AM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline sz

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
Why does it have to be done in Penn?

chenry

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:23:39 AM »
already paid shipping 3 times its getting expensive!!!  what or who ya got in mind

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:59 AM »
call gun stocks plus in Ohio near Cinc'y....513-524-8908  He's done bunch for me and they are tight & true.   ..Tom

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »
I've had swamped barrels inlet by both Mark Wheland and Mark Weder, of Jack's Mountain Stocks - both in PA.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
A month or two is quick service.  A little off topic, but call a single shot rifle gunsmith and most are a year to two years to have a rifle built...
Kevin

chenry

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
maybe where u live I have had complete guns built in 2 mo.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
maybe where u live I have had complete guns built in 2 mo.

Here's an idea...why not do it yourself?  Then you won't have anyone's slow work to complain about other than your own.  You could have it done by the time it would take to ship the barrel to someone else, it would be a fantastic learning experience, and you would never have to depend on someone else to do the work again.  If you are building from a blank (which I am assuming since you need to have the barrel inlet) you should already have the tools needed to do the job yourself.   

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
Here is Mark Weader's contact info. Does a great job and usually fairly quickly.
Dennis

Mark Weader
Jack's Mountain Stock Co
101 Cave Ln,
Mc Clure, PA 17841
(717) 543-5370
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »
I have stocks inlet for barrels while I'm working on something already, so that I'm not sitting waiting ..
So, it is really a time saving thing.  Otherwise, I would and have inlet them myself. If you watch the video by Mark Silver, it really is not a big deal. It takes me a day to do it .

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear 2-3 months turnaround on barrel inletting and/or stock shaping.  Just one of the reasons our group misses Fred Miller, he averaged 2 weeks door to door for years with our group of guys sending guns to him, so it's pretty easy to tell any longer than that isn't a function of the process, just poor planning or lack of commitment.  Longest any of us ever waited for a stock from him was 3 weeks, mailed, and shortest was 4 days when some blanks were dropped off at his shop.  Rest of our guys still send 'em off and just complain about the wait, and often shoddy work they get now, but I started hand inletting my stuff.  Much easier and faster, with far more control over quality and design.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Frank

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
Fred always had quick service and very sociable . He did several guns for me. Probably the most memorable was when he kicked open the barn door and asked which stock do you want with a big ole grin on his face.  ;D There was at least 50 stock blanks in there.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:52:51 PM by Frank »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
Fred's still working for dave.  It's just that the demand for Knob mountain stuff has increased exponentially.  This is also show season, so time is split between shop, and shows.  I would call dave and ask if he can have it at the show for you to pick up at Dixon's.  It won't move you to the head of the line, but it might bump it up a couple of notches.  You got to remember these are small shops.  Order a barrel from Ed aryl, and see what the wait is, or better yet from The Rifle Shoppe, for something not in stock!

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
Most custom barrels are a year. BBl inlets are a bit better, but not always.

I like to have several projects in the queue, and if one or two get held up for want of parts, or whatever, I go on to the next.

In this trade, almost everyone is self-employed, and probably is doing all they can to keep their heads above water.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Frank

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 01:50:05 AM »
Most custom barrels are a year. BBl inlets are a bit better, but not always.

I like to have several projects in the queue, and if one or two get held up for want of parts, or whatever, I go on to the next.

In this trade, almost everyone is self-employed, and probably is doing all they can to keep their heads above water.

Yep, Got 3 in queue. A York I got from Jim Chambers, an Early Virginia and a Lehigh, both from Dave Keck. Much prefer Daves stocks as they are not pre-inlet and the forearms are square.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:48:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »
I can inlet a barrel by hand in less than two days, one day if I do it exactly the way the original builders did it.    The point is,  do it yourself.    Only the sidewall has to fit good and that is easy to do.   Of course,  it will take you a couple of days to make the jigs and tools you need, but you will have them for next time.     

In case you were thinking of asking me to inlet your barrel for your,  I can't deliver anything new until next year.    Only my nose is above water.  ;)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »
Inletting a tapered and flarred barrel is a bit of a challenge, but well worth the time. I was fortunate enough to visit an old lumber yard, and asked if they had any old planner or joiner knives, and they gave me 4 18" knives. I broke off a section about 6" long, and rounded one end and ground and sharpened it to be a marking knife...One edge dead flat, with the other ground, and it works quite well. once the breech is let down so the bottom flat is touching the wood, I clamp the muzzle down, and use a steel block about half way along the barrel to keep it from moving, and then knife in one side, then the other. The rest is remove wood till you get the wood along the knifed profile abvout 1/16 wide, and with a 1-1/2" wide butt chisel, chop straight down to waste the wood till you are to depth. The rest is fairly straight forward, but the big thing to overcome is the fear factor! It took me a while to do that, but once you try it you will look at the finished job with amazement! (At least I did!)  Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline t.caster

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
DIY. I just couldn't accept an 8 week delay on my last build so I did it myself. I had gotten spoiled by Fred Miller, who used to turn them around in a week or two at the most. The cost of the service and shipping has gone way up too. Not saying the cost of machine work isn't worth it, because it really is fair. But when U can DIY, why not?
Tom C.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
I have also had work done by Mark at Jacks' Mountain Stock Co.  I was very pleased with his work and it was done a lot sooner than I had expected.  Great guy to work with.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Brokenhand

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »
Mark Silver's video was mentioned. What video is this and where does one get it. I would like to learn how to inlet a swamped barrel, and most of the directions I have seen sound hard to do at best. I sure can't imagine having it done in 2 days. I guess, like most everything else, you get better and faster with experience. Thanks for any detailed instructions or other tips anyone can give.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 03:12:16 AM »
American Pioneer Video
http://americanpioneervideo.com/

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 03:36:33 AM »
You can watch Mike Miller inlet the barrel [swamped] for a flintlock pistol.  Same process.  With the longer rifle barrel, Mark Silver used metal rails screwed to the blank to act as guides for the inlet if I recall correctly.  I don't use rails, but rather pretty much duplicate the method that Mike Miller uses. Hog out the centre and work outward to the lines which can be much more clearly defined when the barrel is sitting/resting in the centre groove.  Inlet a bit past where you want so you can plane down to clean up any chisel marks or chip outs along the edge