Author Topic: 22 caliber rifle barrel??  (Read 3328 times)

Dancy

22 caliber rifle barrel??
« on: February 04, 2009, 04:56:28 AM »
I met a man a while back with a percussion rifle built by Joe Farmer and he said it was a .22 caliber. Do any current barrel makers build a .22 black powder barrel? Could his have been a .25 caliber that shoots a .22" bullet? What can ya tell me?

Thanks,

James

Offline Ezra

Re: 22 caliber rifle barrel??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:39:31 AM »
I have had .25 caliber muzzle loading barrels before (I have another on order) but have never seen smaller.  They certainly could exist though.  But if you've ever loaded a .25, you may not want to go much smaller.  I don't know of anyone making smaller than .25.  Good luck.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Dancy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
I was just curious if they were ever made or the guy was just mistaken. Seems 22 might be more feasible if it had a quick twist for an elongated bullet.

FG1

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »
Saw one years ago that was made with a Numrich Arms 1890 Win octagon replacement barrel . Halfstock percussion and he used skirted pellets with a little beeswax rubbed on for lube.Think he used 5 grs 4f or so .

I bought a barrel and breeched it but never got around to stocking it .

Levy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
Like FG1, I had the idea to use an octagonal .22 cal. barrel from Numrich Arms Co. with .22 cal. pellets.  I never stocked it up but did put a nipple in the breech of the barrel and fired it in the vice with the aid of a hammer.  As I remember, it (the pellet) went through over 300 pages of a Brownells catalogue with just the hollow base of the pellet filled with 4ffff (kind of like a Volcanic bullet).  I also tried a musket cap without the powder and that worked pretty good too.  Neither were shot for accuracy.  It still sounds like a project that needs finishing.

James Levy

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:46:53 AM »
sometime in the late 70s or early 80s i believe,,a company named,,R.M.A.C. put out a little .22 muzzleloader,,
it has a little turret type arrangement on the top pf the barrel,,you loaded it with ffff and a .22 ball,,,then in the turret thing on the barrel.. it has a place where you were supposed to put the regular type paper capgun caps,,,i thing you were supposed to use 3 or 4 caps,,
it worked fairly well,,,and i shot it a lot,,,i still have it,,but havent shot it in years
only flintlocks remain interesting..