Author Topic: Problem child - Finished for now  (Read 4169 times)

seesbirds

Problem child - Finished for now
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »
I call this horn my problem child.

It's a really pretty white horn so it's a beautiful canvas for me but there was very little mass in the tip and after I cut the tip off and drilled the spout hole I made a futile attempt to make an applied tip horn. I put it on the shelf for a few years...

I fixed the problem I had created while trying to make an applied tip horn; and my turning skills have improved a little bit (although they pale in comparison to those of a whole bunch of you guys.) Surprise! I was able to finally turn an antler collar which mated perfectly with a tip I had turned out of horn. It's pinned on with ivory pins I made.

On the other end, I turned a small finial out of black horn and did some silverwire inlay on the maple butt plug.  It's heat fit to the horn, which made an airtight seal but I finished it with beeswax just in case.

Like I said, there was very little mass in the end of the horn so since I couldn't engrail it, I did some very simple low relief instead. I'd like the neck a little darker.  I wanted to dye it a darker color but since the relief was so low I couldn't afford to sand away any dye which would get on the the white.  I ended up using potassium permanganate to darken it. (I'm thinking of trying to darken it further with some black shoe polish...your thoughts?)

Next it's out to the engraving studio.  I still haven't decided what I'm going to put on it yet but I have a few ideas.

Oh yeah, 11" at the outside curve 2.75" diameter at the base.

As always , your critiques, thoughts, ideas and comments are most welcome.  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:49:44 PM by Mark Preston »

Vomitus

Re: Problem child
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:44 AM »
  I mix india ink with potassium permanganate.Couple drops,test etc... I've got a dark ox blood colour.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
 Good looking horn Mark. To darken the neck you may want to try heating it with a heat gun, then using a small paint brush paint dark Brown (or Black depending on what you want) Oil based leather dye on it. Touch the brush on a paper towel so the dye does not run to bad, carefully paint around your carving. Let it sit a few minutes, then carefully blot it off with a paper towel. Repeat until you get the color you want, I would go a little darker, it will lighten up some when it dries. Try it on a scrap.

Tim C.    
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:56:22 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
you could just darken the bottom part and let it fade to a lighter brown as it gets close to the white carving.

K
Galations 2:20

seesbirds

Re: Problem child - Finished for now
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
I've done some engraving on the horn.  A band around the neck under the carving and a band at the base.  I don't have a buyer for this horn so I am not going to engrave the body just yet.  If one doesn't step forward I'll decide what to engrave on it and either sell it later or keep it to advertize my work.  Either way, I'm finished for now.

the band under the carving:

and at the base:

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
 Very nice. I'm sure it will become an heirloom.

Tim C.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:55:24 AM »
  Looks like it might keep the powder dry!!!  Nice,, very nice,, sure has a lot of white area left unattended!!!

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »
     Very nice work. Keep at it...AL
Alan K. Merrill