Author Topic: Gonter Rifle Markings  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Gonter Rifle Markings
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
I am currently restoring a Gonter rifle and there are some interesting markings on the bottom of the barrel and in the side plate inlet.    In both places there is the Roman numerals for seven "IIIX".   Has anyone else seen something like this on other Gonter or other rifles?   Is this "lucky" number seven, a serial number, or something else?  There is also a star stamped on the bottom of the barrel in front of the "IIIX".

Just wondering about it.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Habu

Re: Gonter Rifle Markings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
I've never seen "IIIX" interpreted as "7".  Seven is always VII.  If you flip the barrel over, you'll have XIII ("13"), which fits with the usual way of reading Roman numerals. 

I've seen two Dickerts with numbers like this (and a few more without).  I always figured the marks were just assembly numbers, used when there were several similar rifles being made at the same time. 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
I agree, assembly numbers.
I have a gun here now with VIII on the barrel, tang and stock, and another similar barrel with the number VII. I've also seen numbers on side plates and various other places.
John
John Robbins

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »
You find these assembly marks on Euro arms as well. Brown Bess muskets are replete with them, for example. Mark, which Gonter are you dealing with? John and Peter started out in Lancaster; Peter stayed and John went down to York for a long time. He later came back north and settled in Reading.
Dick

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »
I once owned a buck & ball gun signed P Gonter on barrel in block letters. At the breech, octagon to round transition and the muzzle they were a series of little circles.( this does not have anything to do with assembly numbers, it is the only thing I remember about the gun)

There is an article on Peter Gonter by John M Musser. It may have been a KRA bulletin. According to the article Peter Gonter while a gunsmith,  was also  a business man and signed guns made by other people. ( something to that effect)..This might make sense  that some of these  would have "assembly numbers", as they may have been made in large quantities.

Article 1980.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:01:06 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
The gun isn't signed, but Whisker attributes it to John Gonter. 

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
Here is a signed John Gonter rifle I ran across online. Mark, does the rifle you are working on look anything like this one? http://www.johnjhayeshistoricalcollectibles.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PG
Joel Hall

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
Here is a signed John Gonter rifle I ran across online. Mark, does the rifle you are working on look anything like this one? http://www.johnjhayeshistoricalcollectibles.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PG

Not even close plus the engraving on the one I am working on is much better.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Avlrc, my .P.GONTER. has those little circles as a decoration across the flats at the breech, with a bellflower & crossed arrows somewhat further on. These marked, with the early trade gun style trigger, suggests it was made for the Indian trade. It is a .56 cal 1/2 round "Kentucky fowler", i.e. heavy wall barrel to handle ball as well as shot. Never had it apart to see any Roman numerals.