Author Topic: Woods walk shoot  (Read 7392 times)

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
Woods walk shoot
« on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
The Woods Walk shooting events sound like a lot of fun and just right for shooters like me who are hunting less every year. To my knowledge, there is no shoot of that type held in my area. So I have an interest in starting one.

But I know nothing about how these shoots are structured, scored, set up or conducted. So I am looking for help in gaining some knowledge on how these shoots are done.

Can anyone tell me if there is any printed material available that one can get for help to get started?

I'm also thinking maybe a way to get started is to attend one of the shoots to see how it's done.

I live in Birmingham, Alabama

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Woods walk shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »
As for attending a woodswalk,  check with Davy Crockett longhunters up in Lawrenceburg TN.   They do a woodswalk during their Crockett Days 'vous in August.   Maybe other times at their monthly shoots, but they'd be the ones to tell you for sure.   They're about 3 hours north of you.

The woodswalk courses I've been on have been layed out along a long path, with targets off in the woods.  Targets can be metal gongs, metal silhouettes, hanging chains,  feathers dangling from strings, etc.  Course has to be layed out with safety in mind so that a ball won't leave the course and go into an adjacent camping area,  or put other woodswalkers at jeopardy.   Typically a group of three or 4 will start the walk with designated club member serving as scorekeeper and range safety.  Group proceeds to the first station,  range officer gives go ahead to load, and group members fire  in turn, and scores recorded.   When all done, group proceeds down to next firing station, etc.   Once the group is about 2 or 3 stations down the path, another group can enter the course with their own range safety officer.    Typically, a woodswalk consists of 10 to 15 targets spread out along maybe 1/4 mile path.   The last Crockett Days walk I went on included something like 8 or 10 shooting stations, two or three 'hawk throws, one station where you had to throw a hawk handle like a rabbit stick to knock down a metal squirrel, and seems like one other "you gotta be kiddin' " situation.   

Most woodswalks permit use of a steel range rod for loading, although some require "loading with a rod that fits the rifle thimbles".   Decide in advance any rules, like whether a misfire or flash in pan counts as a miss, what you're using to break ties, etc, and be sure that safety is adequately addressed in case somebody has to go down range, e.g. if the chain on a hanging target breaks and needs to be re-hung.

Good luck with it.  SCL

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:21:20 PM »
It's like golf except you don't concern yourself about lost balls!

If there will be a large group of participants,  you can Start off with each person shooting at a 3X5 card with an x on it.  They are used for tie breakers.

You can throw in an ax split or a card shoot (cut the card edgewise).  At one walk I recall we had to cut a ball in half and shoot a half ball.  Another time we had to load and shoot a way undersized ball.

Mike Lee

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
We shoot targets, plates & other materials of various sizes and shapes, at various ranges - from card splits at about 15 yards including horizontal string cuts - straw cut on a 45 degree angle and a coroplast board with 3/4"holes, with used shotshells stuck in the holes. It's a great target as they are set base towards you and you have to punch the empty shell casing out of it's hole - called shots - board lined off in felt pen 1-10 and A to J so there is room for 100 shell casings on the board. We tired of that, so started calling spiders only - ie: must cut all 4 lines intersection crosses on the lined off board. We used a white coroplast board 4mil so the black felt pen would be quite visible. The last coroplast "shell" board we put up is several years old and the felt lines are still proud.

The steel targets/gongs vary in size as noted - some are animals, like turkey at 100yards, duck, bunny- 100yards, fox 92yards, miniature buffalo- 50yards, tiny crow/sparrow 20yards, gopher 30 or 40yards - round gongs, triangular, square, buckets, barrels - gong hanging inside a pipe, so that it rings like a church bell with a hit on the outside one - clang/clang, clang/clang - etc. The 20 bores, 62 rifles and the 14 bore REALLY slam that one - rings for a full minute or more, but even the .32 would make it ring - once. Horizontal stainless 'bar' about 2" in diameter hanging at about 40 or 50yards is a toughie. Vertical thick walled pipe hanging straight up and down, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter, easier, of course because it's so big. Toilet seat at about 60yards - surprising how many shoot through the hole. Many of our gongs have been used for 15 years or more, others eventually get holes and break - the .69  & 20 bores with WW balls is hard on targets.  I shoot a 15 bore WW ball out of the 14 bore rifle with about 86gr. 2F - only 1,230fps, but smacks fairly hard.

All are visible reaction targets in that there is a reaction when hit. Strings are cut, cards are cut, gongs swing and ring or BONG when hit.  Note that it is important to have some 'gimmy' targets, so everyone hits at least some of them - our course of fire is some 55 targets long. We walk along a path in the bush, stopping at numbered signs on posts maybe 2' or 3' high and shoot from the sign. Black numbers are rifle targets, red are handgun targets, closer and much easier, of course.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:49:01 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:52 AM »
Like SCL said Lawrenceburg Tn  The Crockett Longhunters put on a first class woods walk and a tough novelty shoot
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Online Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:34 AM »

& YES- we shoot the trail in the Winter time as well.

A picture down our trail from the start of it. The targets are all off to the right at each # sign.

same- but enlarged to see the orange plate.

Down a shooting lane.

Jody - shooting her mom's .58 full stocked Hawken w/ 100gr. 2F - her plinking load.

Your's truely, taking a shot.

Shooting the flying goose - on New Years day, 2010 -14c.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:34:55 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
Daryl: It looks as though wind isn't much of a problem in those trees. Good looking bear country.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:04:54 AM »
Forget string cuts, and card cuts, or anything that requires target servicing. Reserve those for side matches. Clangers are the order of the day. I would suggest a running deer target with a buy in if you are concerned with what the event costs and or how much money the club needs to make on the event. Youth love fire light events, and tomahawk events.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
Although I've only done two woods walks, I can testify that they are FUN and then some.  I even won a prize at one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »
Two Clubs that I belong to and shoot.  Poplar Holler Longrifles  between lawrenceburg and pulaski tn.  Hatchie Run in  Ashland mississipi.  Facebook will have good info on these clubs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:23:06 PM by Scott Bumpus »
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
Thanks to all for the information. Most helpful.

Scott Bumpus, I could not find info on Facebook for Poplar Holler Longrifles or Hatchie Run. Is it possible to get contact names and numbers? Would like to call and inquire.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
If you have  a facebook page then send me a friend request and I send the links back to you.  I will PM you with number.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »
This looks like so much more fun than bench shooting.

Online Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
Bench shooting with a ML or any gun for that matter, is a chore for me - a necessary chore in load development and sighting.  It is something that must be done from time to time as components may change - but not something that is done often. Trail walks or trap shoots are some of the events that are fun. Many people participate together at the same time- that in itself makes for an enjoyable day or week of shooting.  There is some kibitzing, friendly joking and accolades on good shooting - read all of this as comradeship. Plank shoots and chunk shooting would also be part and parcel of this type of 'fun' competition shooting.  

I cannot fathom being attached to a bench & doing all shooting there, as-is done in some or many perhaps, of the 'larger' ranges.

We have benches at the range with target stands at 200, 100 meters and a 'floater' that is usually between 25 and 50 meters. At our long range, we have target stands to 1000 meters. We also have bush (trails) courses of fire at both range locations.

The benches are necessary from time to time - when 'something' changes. The fun is getting out in the bush and shooting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:46:51 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

yardhunter

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 06:56:11 AM »
When I organize a woods walk, I always use targets with virtually NO maintenance.
I don't want to halt a shoot to replace paper targets, feathers, pencils, etc.
Plus…..those metal targets gives instant gratification.

I have 16-17 1/4" steel animal targets I shoot all the time.
The larger ones are placed some distance away & the smaller ones are closer.
Below is what the targets I'm talking about looks like...….

It's 2 minutes long..Hope you enjoy it…..