Author Topic: Bucks County Rifle Built in the Style of Verner or Schuler Finished  (Read 21045 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Bucks County Rifle Built in the Style of Verner or Schuler
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
     Where do you get granulated charcoal?? I've never seen it and it would be nice to have. Bets making it your self.
    As far as your gun....what can I say that hasn't been said...wow great workmanship and a beautiful piece of wood......AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 04:21:50 AM »
     Where do you get granulated charcoal?? I.....AL

Al, I would look at places that sell horticultural products.  I never new it existed either, then one spring day a couple of years ago my wife and I were at an Amish green house buying garden plants and seeds when I spotted a stack of bags against a wall.  I figured it would be much better than grinding my own and it turns out it was.  The bag I bought is 50 pounds and a the rate I am using it that will last 20 years or better.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15:45 AM »
Curtis that is a wonderful job all around but that incised carving is just beautifully done. Which tools did you use?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »
Curtis, I have looked this Rifle over extensively, the only thing I find wrong with it is................its not mine.  great work.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 05:28:48 AM »
Thank you Dr. Boone and Virginiarifleman.

Curtis that is a wonderful job all around but that incised carving is just beautifully done. Which tools did you use?

The straight lines, lock panel accents and molding lines on the lower butt stock were cut freehand with a Pfeil 16/3 V-parting tool.   The accent on the fore stock carving was done with a small gouge.  The "moose tracks" were stabbed with a Pfiel 9/2 and 9/3 and the really small ones with a home made gouge.  If I had a gouge that worked out on on a curve I stabbed it.  Most of the curves and c-scrolls were Roll-stabbed with rounded home made gouges and lens shaped chisels.  Pretty much all of the stabbed carving was then chased free-handed with the V-parting tool.  Hard to reach areas were cleaned out with a large sharpened curved needle.

Here are most of the shop made tools I used with an attempt made to show the shape of the blade and some rudimentary stabbing examples.  The tools aren't very pretty but I found them effective:

Cutting scoop with small gouge:

Straight line with V-parting tool:

Roll stabbing with a small shop made gouge:

Stabbing with Pfeil gouge:

Stabbed carving before chasing with V-parting tool.  I found when I chased the stabbed cuts I could correct minor imperfections and vary the incised line width to accent curves etc.:

If you have any other questions about the process feel free to ask.  It may not be the best process for incised carving but it is what worked for me.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Bucks County Rifle Built in the Style of Verner or Schuler Finished
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
It sure did.  Thanks Curtis. It is always good to see how others do things... especially when they do them well!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 03:40:40 AM »
Curtis,
I know you said "freehand" but when you chased your lines with the parting tools did you push them all or tap them? When you set your lines did you roll or tap?
Love the rifle, especially the incised carving.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Curtis,
I know you said "freehand" but when you chased your lines with the parting tools did you push them all or tap them? When you set your lines did you roll or tap?
Love the rifle, especially the incised carving.
Kevin

Thanks Burnt, and good question.  I didn't really do any mallet tapping on any of the incised carving.  With the V-parting tool, I did kind of a "push-pull" thing for more control, using both hands, often just urging the tool forward by rolling an index finger behind it a few millimeters at a time.  The tool is held at a very steep angle if it is sharpened properly, and the tool needs to be quite sharp.  It would be helpful if I could take a picture of the technique however it's not possible with just two hands, lol. 

I tried chasing the V-parting tool with a hammer like Homer Dangler does, however I did not have the control to make the curves look graceful and flowing.  I imagine with practice it would improve greatly, but I tend to just jump in and do things with just a couple of test runs and no real practice.  Probably not recommended for best results.

On the C scrolls and sharper curves I set most of my lines by roll-stabbing.  If you look at the shop made tools the edge of them is curved and not flat like a normal gouge, which makes it easier to roll around a curved line.  I found if I roll stamped a curved line it helped guide my V-parting tool for the final chasing, as well as adding depth.  You still have to maintain careful control, but again it helped stay on course considerably.

It is kind of difficult to explain in words what could be demonstrated in moments.  If I there is a point that I am not getting across let me know and I will try again.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »
Thanks,
I understand your low angle push/pull technique. It was the curves in the c scrolls I was most curious about, thanks for the clear explanation. Looks like I need to make some fine gouges and work on my sharpening skills.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson