Author Topic: Flintlock Pistol 1 or 2 tennons?  (Read 3162 times)

.36navy

Flintlock Pistol 1 or 2 tennons?
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »
I'm building my first flintlock pistol using parts from a "kit" which only came with one tennon. should i buy and install a second one or is one good enough? The flintlock i'm working on is a .45 caliber 7/8 octagon barrel similar to the one that  is for sale at track the wolf. I placed my tennon between the lock and back thimble.    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/490/1/AAM-433

Thoughts?

Thanks

Scott

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Flintlock Pistol 1 or 2 tennons?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
Scott,
You did not mention how long your barrel is but if it is similar to the picture you referenced, I would suggest 2 tennons. One in the lower forestock like you stated you did and on in front of the forward thimble.  If you look closely you can see a pin in front of the forward thimble.  That is the forward tennon pin.  Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum.
David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
If the link you posted is the pistol or similar to the one you're building, then yes, you should have two tenons.  Once past the breech area, the barrel is really the support for the wood. To make it last, pin it fast.  :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
Pay very close attention to your fore end layout. It is all too easy to get a conflict between tenons and thimbles on the limited space you have on a pistol fore end.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
A lot of original flintlock pistols only had one tenon for the barrel, placed just forward or behind the front ramrod pipe.  These days I tend to use two tenons unless it's a very short barrel.  As Pete said, lay out your tenons and thimbles before you start drilling - it will save you a big headache later.  Welcome to the forum! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

.36navy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:05 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking that another tennon should go on but second guessed my self because the kit only came with one.  My barrel is  10" long.

I just had a boo boo so i need to order parts anyway. I though for sure that my lock bolt was 10/32 but i just drilled and tapped for 10/32  and is definitely too large of hole for my current screw. Live and learn i guess.

scott