Author Topic: Wrought Iron Barrel Re-Use  (Read 11259 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Wrought Iron Barrel Re-Use
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
Guys,

Here is a method to re-use an old wrought iron barrel on a new made gun.  This starts with the purchase of an old barrel, in this case 15/16 straight, 39 long, 0.38 cal.  One of those awful nose heavy barrels with a rotten bore.  I drill out the bore to 1/2 inch using a modern pilot drill.  With this tool you machine a pilot guide out of brass that acts to keep the drill bit on center as you drill out the old bore.  The brass pilot has a short life, I used up three in drilling out this one.  The rear end of the drill is threaded 5/16 UNF for a series of drill extension rods.  Don't try to drill out a barrel bore with regular, non-piloted drills, it doesn't work.

I did not wish to use the barrel at 0.50 caliber, so I will install a liner.  In this case a piece of 0.50 x 0.049 wall carbon steel tubing, seamless.  This gives a bore of 0.402.  Now, the 1/2 tube will not fit into a 1/2 hole, there must be a tiny bit of clearance.  I open the hole up a bit with an 18th c tool called an armory reamer.  After a few passes with the armory reamer the tube will side through the barrel bore.

The reamer just cuts the high parts of the drilled bore roughness.  Here is a photo showing the fine shavings from a pass through the bore.

Next, I want to make the barrel to a swamped shape.  I use the bore centering tool, see the tutorial section.  Just at the waist area of the swamp the bore is off center by about one thread of the measurement screw.  Since the screw is #6-32 this means the bore is off center by 0.03 inches.  When grinding & filing the waist of the swamp I take more off one side to bring the bore to true center in the waist.

I then grind & file the swamp waist area, not really a tough job as I use a 9" angle head grinder, it surely makes the old wrought iron disappear quickly ( and a lot of sparks! ).

Here is a photo of the filed metal surface.  You can see the very fine filaments of slag, this is a nice piece of wrought iron.

Now I grind & file the rest of the barrel to give an "A" profile.  Breech 0.940, waist 0.702, muzzle 0.812.  Here is a photo of the muzzle end, ready for the liner.

Here is the newly swamped barrel and the liner tube.

The breech end of the liner tube gets a wood stopper and the muzzle end gets a brass driver head.

The wood stopper is just to keep epoxy out of the bore.  The brass driver head has a tapered pin that has a maximum  O.D. of 0.412 to a shoulder.  The 0.412 pin driven into the 0.402 liner tube bore gives a very slight flare to the liner tube end.

Now using a lot of slow setting epoxy, the liner is pushed & driven into the barrel bore.  Do not use quick set epoxy.  I push a dollop or wad of epoxy through the bore with the wood stopper end and keep a good amount on the liner tube O.D. as it goes in.  This is a messy job!  Here is a photo of the brass driver head as it reaches the muzzle at the end of the installation.  The slight flare completely eliminates any visible gap between the liner tube and the wrought iron barrel, you can not see the liner. 

Here is a photo of the finished muzzle, there is only a tiny color difference between the steel liner tube and the wrought iron barrel.

Now I have a "A" profile swamped barrel in the correct material, wrought iron.  The cost is very low, but it is a good bit of work.  I will use the barrel as a show-n-tell on my rifling machine next season.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:46:06 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

Re: Wrought Iron Barrel Re-Use
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:26 AM »
Jim, nice job. Have you tried Loctite 609 or 640 for installing your liners? It may have a stronger bond than the epoxy and since it is a liquid it might be easier to get good coverage.
Mark
Mark Poley

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
 Why put a liner in it? ??? it was a perfectly good wrought iron barrel as it was (to me). You could have rifled it into a .54 or a 52 cal. barrel with plenty of metal left. Now its a Steel Tubed wrought iron barrel. I take it you are going to make it a .40 caliber? how well will the steel tube take to the  rifling?

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
Guys,

Good questions! 

Mark, I have not tried the Locktite products, I am sure that they work well.  I like the long set epoxy as it gives a nice long work time before it sets up.  You really do not need a lot of strength with the joint, but I always take care to ensure that any small gap between the liner and the bore is completely filled by the epoxy.  If there remained a tiny unfilled gap between the liner and the bore, then the liner would not be well supported in that area.

james e, I often do just ream out and hone the old wrought iron barrels.  The barrel I showed in the tutorial section on barrel straightening is done that way.  It turns out to be a lot more work as the time to hone the bore to a proper finish is a lot more time than to install the liner.  Also, there is a definite safety factor in enlarging the bore on the old barrel, if you go too far in enlarging the bore it could result in an unsafe condition.  In this example I feel sure that the wrought iron barrel with the modern steel liner is stronger than the original barrel. 

The liner is AISI 1010 steel so it will machine OK.  Since the liner is very uniform the rifling should be easy.  Sometime when rifling wrought iron, the rifling cutter will catch or chatter as the cutter passes over a larger slag filament which must later be corrected.

Thanks for the questions,
Jim

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
where do you find such barrels??
marc

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
Slick slick slick and a lot of work - a great demonstration of the process. Thank you James.

dp
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:18:18 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
A very useful tutorial.   Thanks :)

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
Guys,

Again, thanks for the questions.

Marc,  I found this barrel in a pile of old junk barrels for sale at a longrifle collector's show.  Really just a few bucks as the demand is very low for these things.  The difficult thing is finding one that is long enough to make a good longrifle.  Most are in the 30 -34 inch long range.  This one at 39" is at the short end of barrel lengths for what I like to make, but it is O.K.

dp,  Yes it is a lot of work, but it is also less work to make a wrought iron barrel this way than many other processes.  Drilling and honing an old barrel is a more simple process, but there is a whole lot more time spent in using the armory reamer to get the bore smooth and shiny, like forever ++.

Jim  

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »
I think it is a great way to salvage an old barrel and put it back into service again.  I'm glad you posted it here.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:15:02 AM »
The ingenuity and abilities of the people on this board never cease to amaze me!  I think that's pretty darn cool!  8)

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 05:04:48 AM »
Thanks again Jim for sharing!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »
I'll ad my two cents worth, wrought iron barrels that are over 40 inches long and under 40 cal. are prize barrels. They are not cheap. Get a 36 cal. and you have a prize. Vendors have kind of wised up to this at shows. Outside dimension also play a part in price. Hard to find them know.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
Guys,

Just an additional note:

The reason you do not install the liner until after shaping the outside of the barrel is that by using the 9 inch grinder the barrel metal can be heated even to the range of blue temper color, like 600F.  Using a heavy duty grinder will remove the excess metal quickly, and as it does this the barrel will get really hot.  The epoxy used will be damaged by such heat if the liner is installed before shaping the barrel.  I don't know about the Loctite products suggested above, but epoxy doesn't hold up at temperatures above the boiling point of water.  Final shaping and polishing with a file is OK after liner installation as this does not get the barrel very hot.

Jim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
Slick slick slick and a lot of work - a great demonstration of the process. Thank you James.

dp

What Dave Said! (WDS)  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
Jim, I'm curious what you do at the breech when fitting the plug.

Do you cut the threads into the liner material only, or through the liner material and into the original barrel?

John
John Robbins

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Guys,

A very good question, it does deal with safety.  When using a barrel liner it is best to cut the entire breech plug threads in the barrel metal, not in the liner metal.  You do not want the epoxy joint to bear the stress from the internal pressure.  So, when I get to installing the breech plug, I will use one of my two breech plug thread sizes that require that the breech end of the barrel be opened up to a larger size than the 1/2 inch liner diameter.

Jim

kaintuck

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
Still drooling over this barrel.......I get barrels, therefore I must build guns..... :P ::)
Marc n tomtom