Author Topic: NW gun as fowler?  (Read 5253 times)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
NW gun as fowler?
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »
Am trying to decide if a NW gun would make a suitable fowler for such things as dove shooting, etc.  Would a dedicated fowler be more useful and practical for shot loads and even clay bird shooting?
Mike Lee

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: NW gun as fowler?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »
Absolutely it will.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:25 AM »
The real question will be, can you hit anything with it  ;D   I tried a NW gun [ Caywood} , but it just didn't fit me as well as my New England fowling gun.   After all, a 20 bore is a 20 bore ,[ unless you are looking at a 24 bore as per many originals] so it comes down to the weight and stock design.

JoeG

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:42:44 AM »
I've hunted grouse and pheasant with my NW TG  as well as shooting clays
The onlY draw back is the size of a NW TG  lock makes it a little slower
than a fowler built around a smaller rifle lock.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
The lock size never occurred to me as being a factor!  What would be the best lock choice for fastest time.
Mike Lee

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:53 PM »
 If I were going to build, or buy, a trade gun that I was going to hunt with, I would get a chiefs grade, with  30" barrel, and an early Ketland lock. Most traditional standard grade trade guns, have a very straight stock, and very angular comb, that don't really make them a very comfortable hunting gun for most shooters. If you go ahead an make it a fowler, instead of a trade gun, you can add a few other comforts that will make your hunting more enjoyable, like a little more drop in the stock. I have owned two 20 gauge trade guns ( one chiefs grade in 30" barrel, and one standard grade with a 42" barrel), and have found them more than effective on everything but waterfowl. Hunting quail, and pheasant with a trade gun, is about as much fun as you can have with your cloths on.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »
I had a 12 bore NW trade gun - possibly it would have worked with shot, but hurt me when shooting 545gr. round balls into not being able to shoot a flinter for many years.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

JoeG

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »
The flint  NW TG  was used for over 100 years all across North America because it is very versatile weapon.  But if you are looking primarily for an upland game gun I would go with a fowler. The Chiefs Grade was just an light english fowling piece. If you are are worried about a certain time period there are many types to fit any historical period.

I suggest a get a copy of " Flintlock Fowlers" Its a good reference and covers a wide range of choices.

If you're not worried about a certain time period than build something around the fastest lock you can find. that is balanced fits you well. 44 inch barrel smooth bores look great but they swing a little slow on fast moving doves.

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
   Ya Daryls,that was a "Curly" gun. Might have weighed 5 1/2 pounds,lol! Knowing you,ya prolly shot a mild 160gr 2f charge in the poor girl!  :o  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
LB- 5 1/2 pounds - maybe - 5 1/4 probably.  I don't think I used much over 3 1/2 drams ::) in 'her' - a decent load for a 12 bore, wot? ;D
Daryl

Offline Habu

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
"Serious" loads in one of Curly's 12 bore NWguns is why I originally went to a Brown Bess.  The recoil in the lightweight NW gun was just too much for me. 

Prior to that, I'd used a 24 bore NW gun as a hunting gun for a couple years.  Once the edge of the comb had been rounded off, it made a nice light upland game gun under the right circumstances.  Range had to be considered: late-season pheasant-hunting on a windy day was a fail, but pass-shooting doves coming in to water in the evening was great fun.  My gun didn't pattern well with the then-available lead shot alternatives, so I didn't do much waterfowling with it--a couple times puddle-jumping was it.   

Yeah, the lock was slow when compared to a decent rifle lock, but you get used to it (and it does wonders for your follow-through when leading moving targets). 

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
Curly made one heck of a NW trade gun. I had one I received straight from him in 1980.wish I had held onto it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »
Me too - Virg - would have made a cracker of a grouse gun with 2 1/2 drams 2F and an ounce of shot - but fowler? - no way too much powder & shot needed in such a light gun.

Now, for ducks and teal over deec's - OK- same as grouse load only with #6 steel.  Jug'd or normally choked for pass shooting - someone else please step up to take this shot.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:23:10 PM by Daryl »
Daryl