Author Topic: Mr Flintlock Lube  (Read 9103 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Mr Flintlock Lube
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
Tim Boone gave me a bottle of Mr Flintlock Lube a couple of weeks ago. I finally got to give it a try at a shoot this weekend. More testing is needed by me but I was impressed enough to order a case of the lube.

Lately I've been using a wad over my powder especially when I shoot my 36 cal and my pistol both have small charges and I am concerned that the powder could wet with lube and be less consistant.

I found that Mr. Flintlock lube seemed to load very easily and smooth even better than spit patches. Wiping between shot was not needed. I don't think I want to use it for a hunting load or when the rifle will stay loaded for a prolonged time. But for a day at the range it is great.

leadslinger62

Re: Mr Flintlock Lube
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:20 PM »
   Used It for the first time at our local M`loader Shoot. Haven`t won anything for a looooong time. Well, I came Home with A $5.00 second place. In the Wannabe`s , Prize !!! I am sold on this stuff. Also I will stick with TOW Mink Oil Lube for Hunting.....

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »
Micah, Where did you order it. Was it Expensive ?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »
I don't use Mr Flintlock for patch lube, I still use pre lubed, from Ox Yoke. But between shots I swab with a patch with Mr Flintlock on it and then a dry patch. After a typical match a little soapy water and a shot of WD 40 on 4-5 patches and the barrel is ready to be oiled. The process keeps fouling from building up during shooting.
Mark
Mark

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
 Lives in Lyman,, Maine,,,   not a bad address.Go to Google Earth type in his address and you can see his home,he has a book store to,,,

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:05:03 AM »
At the Spring Shoot at Friendship, George Sutton (Mr. Flintlock) agreed to do a video interview for Blackpowdermag.com.  George and I ended up doing it twice because of my problems with the camera.  I appreciate George's patience with me as we worked through our lighting and camera issues.  I feel really good about our final product.   George is an easy person to converse with.

The highlights include information about the "Impossible Shots" TV program and hearing about Mr. Flintlocks Lube.  Below is the link to the interview.

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/mr-flintlock-discusses-impossible-shoots/

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:47 AM »
I don't use ... The process keeps fouling from building up during shooting.
Mark
I must say here that Daryl teached me how to wipe with my loading patch such that fouling never builds.  If i never learned anything else here, THAT has to be worth 2X the price of admission.

Don't mean to preach but this it's the best-kept secret of all PRB!

Hold to the Wind

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »
I don't use ... The process keeps fouling from building up during shooting.
Mark
I must say here that Daryl teached me how to wipe with my loading patch such that fouling never builds.  If i never learned anything else here, THAT has to be worth 2X the price of admission.

Don't mean to preach but this it's the best-kept secret of all PRB!

Hehehe

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:47:30 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:16:17 AM »
I tried the Mr. Flintlock lube.  It might be OK for match shooting but it evaporates too fast to use for hunting.  It is probably a better bore cleaner.  Also it is pricy.  Two bottles were close to $40 with shipping.  I like Track's mink oil for lube.  I can shoot 10 rounds with no ring forming.  Cleans up with Ballistol and water or the Mr. Flintlock.  Either one is OK.   Ballistol says to mix it 1 part to 3 parts water for cleaning.  That makes it more economical.
Brice Stultz

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I always use tap water mixed three parts to one with H2O.  Works great for cleaning.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
Wade,
Secrets don't help the rest of us, what's the rest of the story????
Mark
Mark

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:10 AM »
Wade,
Secrets don't help the rest of us, what's the rest of the story????
Mark
Not really a secret, Daryl and others have been shouting it for years now, I'm just joining the chant because the idea and practice is so beautiful and practical. I thought it would have caught on like wildfire in a high wind already.  Especially with this innernets and everything. 

It's the notion that a thick enough patch, lubed sufficiently (i use saliva), and loaded properly snug does all the cleaning/wiping that one needs for an unlimited string of shooting.   

Anytime I see someone mention "x shots before wiping" I think they may have not been exposed to the enlightenment.  ;D

Not here to de-rail the thread, just hadda mention it.
Hold to the Wind

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »
I thought there was something I was overlooking, been doing that for a long time. Competitivley I still wipe between shots. Hard to break old habits.
Mark
Mark

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
Frizzen:  Tap water mixed tap water is a good cleaner.  I use it on my lock and in the Laphroaig scotch I drink while cleaning.  I use the Ballistol because the mink oil is just that oil.  I feel like I need something to help cut the oil in the bore.   
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
Ballistol...All ya need.
btw EC, ya don't have to cut Jameson with Bore Cleaner to make an enjoyable drink...
Just Sayin'.  ;D
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
I thought there was something I was overlooking, been doing that for a long time. Competitivley I still wipe between shots. Hard to break old habits.
Mark

It's different wiping every single shot for paper punching.  But when one goes 3 or 5 or 8 shots and then "has" to wipe, he has been shooting a changing bbl condition and that's no good for accuracy neither nohow.    cheers it's FRIDAY somewhere!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:48:57 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline LH

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
The condition of a bore has a lot to do with how lubes and fouling work too.  A rough bore will foul up real quick,  but a good slick bore will shoot all day without wiping. 

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
When I was shooting competition heavily back in the 70's and 80's I would shoot 5 matches of 5 rounds per target using spit patch and never wiped the bore of my 54 Cal Douglas XX barrel after a shot. accuracy was never a problem.but I shot a .535 ball heavy patch.