Author Topic: Staining and Finishing for Muzzeloading Gun Builders address added  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
There is nothing novel about the information presented in this work. Our ancestors worked with a very limited amount of what we now refer to as "technology". Research shows that the gunsmiths working between the mid-18th century and the mid-19th century used methods and materials that had been in use for centuries and had proven durability. Technology used to produce one product could, with only slight changes, be used to produce another product.

The time period covered in this work is roughly the 100 years when longrifles were produced. However, much of the information presented was in use for a far longer period of time. Scrapers are stone age in origin. Boiled oil finishes date as early as 200 A.D. Mineral pigments, used as stains, are over 2000 years old.

http://www.thealchemist.us/alchemist1_005.htm

Have not bought one but think I will even though I am sure I have all the material already for years of correspondence. It also includes information of dying horns and making oil cloth.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:00:02 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

whetrock

Re: Staining and Finishing for Muzzeloading Gun Builders address added
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Dan.

So the blue section in your post is a review copied from the website that you linked us to. (I missed that on the first speed read of your post, but got it on the second, slow pass, with a cup of coffee in hand.  ;) )
The guy who posted the review that you have quoted seemed rather negative. Not sure what he was expecting. It sounds to me like a book I would find useful. The old technology is exactly what I would want to read about. That's the part so many of us on here struggle to master--the old technology.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
  What is the name of the book??

whetrock

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »

Title:
          Staining and Finishing for Muzzeloading Gun Builders - Methods and Materials 1750 to 1850

Dan 's link has more details.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
Yes, thanks for posting this Dan.  I think I will be getting one of the books soon.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing