Author Topic: Fabulous horn  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Fabulous horn
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »
If this were my own horn, I'd be tootin' it all over the place. Made by John Proud, inspired by an original, on the Blog.

Click on the link:  http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/07/powder-horn-by-john-proud-with-original.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:43:41 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Fabulous horn
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »
That is an impressive carving of horn.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:05 AM »
that has hours of work in it,but well worth it. beautiful horn.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »
Wow !  looks like carved ivory......

Offline John Proud

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
Thanks for your compliments on my work. The praise deserves to be credited to the original maker. I certainly wish we knew who that was. Maybe, if I get as far as those pearly gates I can arrange an introduction. Both horns will be at Dixon's this weekend.

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Will they be out on display on your own table, or somewhere else on the grounds? I'd love to see these in person.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
 Nice work John, very well done.  The front strap attachment on the older horn looks unusual, like it is on the wrong side and that it goes through the horn and screws into a nut or something on the other side or is it just the pic?

Tim C.   

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
  It was John Proud that got me started in horning,,Read an Articale in the PA Fish and Game????? (written a long time ago),, he wrote,,,Wasn't even how to, just you can,,,that was all it took .Never looked back..

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:18:01 AM »
It's unreal how John captured the detail at nearly the same angle as the original.  An impressive horn indeed!  Well done!
Dan Akers

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »
John, is this the same horn that you had on your table at Fort Frederick---it sure looks similar if not the same one--anyway, when I saw the one at Frederick, I could hardly believe the workmanship in it---absolutely fantastic.  You are to be commended on this work of art !!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
I held both of these horns at Dixon's.  The work involved in making this horn is simply unbelievable.  Not only does the reproduction have nearly the same curve, but the scrim/file work is located in nearly the same location on the horn as the original.  You've done yourself Proud, John!
Dan Akers