Author Topic: PA Championship Chunk Shoot  (Read 3579 times)

Offline hornturner

PA Championship Chunk Shoot
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:11:46 AM »
Well, the 15th Annual Pennsylvania Championship Chunk Shoot is history.  This great event was held last Saturday, July 12, 2014 at Don Singer's Medhia Range near East Waterford, PA.

All practice and warm-up shots were made under a dull overcast with a left-to-right low breeze.  At around 10:00a.m. Don made his opening remarks, had the ceremonial shooting of the cannon to officially open the event and once safety instructions were completed, the ten-shot match began.  By this time, all clouds had disappeared and the competitive shooting commenced under bright sun with a few passing clouds.  Naturally the wind had also switched to right-to-left and sometimes strong in you face. 

Top results of the match which had 17 competitors were as follows:

1st Place -    Art DeCamp -    7.970"
2nd Place -   Eric Hemerly - 10.109"
3rd Place -    Bobby Hoyt  -  10.810"
4th Place -    Don Baker    -  10.818"
5th Place -    Bob Bird       -   11.974"

Bobby Hoyt and Dennis Hemerly both won two matches, and Andrew Baker had the "sweetest shot" of the match with a 0.022" best "X".

Following the awards presentations, Don Singer treated us all to a fine pulled prok BBQ feed, much fun, needling and commradery followed!

Offline Don Getz

Re: PA Championship Chunk Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:38:50 AM »
Congratulations Art, I suppose you were shooting that old worn out gun again...........Don

Offline hornturner

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
Don;
Thanks, and yes, I was shooting the .50 cal. percussion chunk rifle made by T.K. Dawson.  It has now won the PA match four times!  Bill Burtt won with it once here and in his hands this same rifle has several other wins, too. (Alvin York, Allen Coons, Friendship)

Art DeCamp

Old Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:41 PM »
Hey Art, who wound up with the horn, Dennis? My wife was very pleased with the shooting bag that Sam made. It'll go great with the rifle I'm building for her. As always, I had a great time though I would have preferred that the overcast had stayed. But that's the nature of the country. It's a challenging range and that makes it that much more special. See you guys next year.

Offline hornturner

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:05:55 AM »
Hi Bob;
I think Eric Hemerly picked the horn off the prize table.  Had a great time shooting with you and enjoying the company.  It sure would be fun to shoot at the Four J range sometime.
Art

Old Bob

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
You'll have to come down in October. That's when they have the shoot at the JJJJ range. Not a big event but different. I'm already looking forward to coming back up to Don's next year. I wish I could make that shoot in September.

By the way, I'm tempted to use your report of the shoot for the club newsletter. Much better than what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:39:06 AM by Old Bob »

ERH

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:52:36 AM »
It was a great shoot like always . I was lucky enough to win a very nice horn that was put on the table by Art .And again want to thank him for putting a beautiful horn like that on the table at a small shoot .and I must say Don singer runs one heck of a shoot and the food is awesome thanks again to him and his wife  for all his hard work and everybody else that was involved. Only wish more people would come out and join us cause its a great day of shooting and eating!!