Author Topic: Shooting high right  (Read 7032 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Shooting high right
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »
OK, after several years of "no time to shoot", I'm getting back into the game.
What I am finding, is that my groups are pretty good still, but everything off hand is high and right. Gun is sighted in perfectly off the bench, but the groups go high right.

Am I yankung the trigger or what?
What say ye gentlemen?  I'm a builder, if I can make em, I should be able to shoot em!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Shooting high right
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »
Sight on target, fire, sight on target…it's the follow through.

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 01:11:47 AM »
OK, after several years of "no time to shoot", I'm getting back into the game.
What I am finding, is that my groups are pretty good still, but everything off hand is high and right. Gun is sighted in perfectly off the bench, but the groups go high right.

Am I yankung the trigger or what?
What say ye gentlemen?  I'm a builder, if I can make em, I should be able to shoot em!

Sounds like your yanking the trigger, does it have a set trigger or a single trigger?.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:02:08 AM »
Practice by dry firing triggers only at first then w a piece if rubber on the nipple.  Watch what the front sight does. I suspect you are moving. More practice dry firing will help.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »
Single trigger, flintlock, 48" barrel.
Definitely more practice, may be follow through?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
It could be a number of things. You may be jerking the trigger, it could be a flinch, you could be rotating the rifle in the offhand position, or It could be the way the light strikes your front sight.

It sounds like it's fixable.

Centershot

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:40 AM »
Have an experienced shooter watch you. Often someone else can spot the problem it might take you weeks to figure out.  Follow through is good advice too. Applies to almost everything from golf to felling trees with an axe.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:20:22 AM »
Dane, try this. Open your stance just a little bit and place your left foot more left. This might make it easyer to hold more left of X and maybe group center. If that doesnt work try something else. Good shooting. Hope your staying dry in all your rainy weather.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:17 AM »
Heavy ball?  Light powder charge? This combo with a 48 inch barrel can push you gonne high and right.  Long barrel time for recoil to do its thing.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »
If your group is consistent and high right the same place each group I would say to adjust the sight.  If you were flinching or yanking the trigger the group would be scattered and the center of mass of the group would move all over the place as well.  A group from sandbags is usually going to be different than a group from handheld shooting position - especially offhand.  

Second thought is you are not physically aligning yourself with the target.  When properly aligned your sights should want to rest on the target.  If not aligned, when the rifle fires your muscles will tend to relax and relocate to the direction your body is aligned.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:58:12 AM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
I don't shoot as often now as I did in younger life, and I tend to pull slightly high and to the right (about 1:00) now and again.  I seem to be able to help by moving my feet position until the rifle naturally rest on the target (left and right) when I hold it without forcing myself to place the front sight on target.  I still have to focus on the sights when firing and follow through after the trigger is pulled.  I put a small black thumb tack in the wall in the back bedroom and spend a few minutes every night sighting on the dot and firing the set trigger.  If I focus on what I am doing, I can see the front sight move to the 1:00 position if I force the shot or snap pull the trigger.   My plan is to spend more time shooting the rifle while paying close attention to follow through.  Good luck.  You are not in the boat by yourself.
                                                                               Roger Sells

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:30 AM »
A few nights with the wooden flint and your old forgotten follow thru would come back to ya ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 04:35:50 AM »
Most right handed shooters pull LOW RIGHT when flinching, no matter a handgun, shotgun or rifle. That is the norm.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:36:26 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ken

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
It sounds as if you are dropping your right elbow when your pull the trigger. Try to keep it out straight. Good luck         ken

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
Dane, I had similar issues shooting my 40 cal made with a 38" A weight barrel. It is very light and moves around too easily while off hand shooting. I spent a lot of time practicing, concentrating on a firm holding stance. Found it best to plant my feet out a bit for a wider base and angled myself in line with the target direction.  I now go into a complete "frozen state" as I hold my breath and lightly squeeze the hair trigger. It has become one of my favorite and most accurate rifle's on the line.
Joel Hall

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
You should also be aware that it might not be you.  Be aware of the shooting conditions.  When at the range, we always shot under a north facing, covered firing line and I always seemed to shoot best on days when it wasn't sunny.  I was at a rendezvous shooting a match on an open, south facing range.  It was a bright sunny day but big clouds were drifting over.  When they obscured the sun, I hit the bull.  When the sun reappeared, my shots dropped 2" left and 2" low.  By the time I was done shooting, I had 2 distinct groups and the shots within each group were touching one another.

Time of day, direction being shot, and position of the sun can affect your shooting.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson