Author Topic: .58 Halfstock Flint Plains Rifle  (Read 11792 times)

Offline Herb

.58 Halfstock Flint Plains Rifle
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:46:57 AM »
Some of the people I shoot with here get their knickers in a knot when they see a caplock, wanting everyone to shoot flintlocks only.  So I built a .54 English Sporting Rifle fullstock flint, but couldn't shoot it well off-hand.  It weighed 7.5 pounds.  Next  I copied my Bridger Hawken but made a flintlock .58, and I will see how well I shoot it off-hand.  My .54 Bridger with a 31" 1 1/8" GRRW barrel weighs 11 pounds, and I shoot it wonderfully well.  Thus a flint copy, which weighs only 9 3/4 pounds.  It has a 32" Green River barrel, tapered from 1 1/8 to 1".

Length of pull is 13.25 inches on the Bridger and 12.25" on the flintlock.  I like short stocks.  The stain is Laurel Mountain Forge Lancaster Maple and the finish is 4 coats of Track's Original Oil finish.

I heat blued all the parts with a propane Mapps gas torch but browned the barrel with 12 coats of Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown & degreaser.

Here are two groups, working on the sights, at 50 yards rest.  Shots 1-5 are with .562 balls, .014 (crush) linen patching and 90 grains of Goex 2F at 1529 fps.  No wiping between shots or groups (ran out of cleaning patches).  Shots 6-10 are with 100 grains of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F and some reject cast balls, which seemed to mike .577.  Don't know how I did that with a .570 mold.  Velocity averaged 1611 fps.  I'll start with 50 grains of Goex 2F for off-hand competition.

I sawed the stock out of a blank using handsaws.  I would not wish this on anyone, but I have three more to do like that.

The Green River breech was tapped 5/8" deep, so I cut off the back of the barrel and cut my flint plug to 1/2" and used a White Lightning liner, which I had to open to .070 to eliminate flashes in the pan.

I had an early Hawken buttplate from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, which is different from a similar one that Track has.  Though it looks a lot different from the Bridger buttplate from Track (on the right), the actual shoulder shape is the same.  I cut 1/2" off the return and will solder it onto the Bridger buttplate to make it like the one on the Kit Carson Hawken, which I will build soon.  The black is the left hand buttplate and the red is the Bridger outline.

Here is what I am getting ready for.  I was up on Diamond mountain scouting and found three bucks and a doe and then these 7 bucks.  Friends Carl and Carole, who killed bucks up there 3 or 4 years ago, saw 16 nice ones in one bunch on nearby farmland.  They are going to guide me on my hunt.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:33:19 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline smylee grouch

Re: .58 Halfstock Flint Plains Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:10:23 AM »
Good l,uck hunting Herb. A 58 should do the job.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »
What a swell looking flinter,Herb.If I dont sell these Hawken stocks and parts,I might make a couple of em into flinters like yours,only in walnut,maybe a maple too.Rather sell this stuff,but winter is coming and maybe a few more projects wont hurt.lol.Great job.Best regards,Dave F :D

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
What did you do about the tang-use a long Hawken type?Man,I like the look too much,I am seeing a long side trip in store for the 3 long slim rifles I have in the works.thanks,Dave :D

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
Great looking rifle Herb, and good luck on your hunt!

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:08:13 AM »
MM70, I used a Hawken plug and tang.  There was a problem in that the tang had too high a hump in it, and it was a lot of trouble to flatten it.  Here is the tang in the wood.

I tried several ways to flatten that hump, but I think this one did it.

I am started on my next Hawken, a 15/16" GRRW .50 barrel with a 3/4x16" breech thread.  I had to take a 1" Hawken plug and tang and file them down to 15/16".  It will have a brass butt plate, trigger guard, toe plate, side plate and maybe key escutcheons.  It has a walnut stock, band-sawed out, and I have started inletting the barrel as show in the photo above.  It will be for my great-grandson Trenton to use in hunting wild pigs in Hawaii.  He wants a flintlock, and I have a .45 to give him, but I do not think there is real black powder available in Hawaii.  If anyone knows for sure, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:37:50 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 03:36:51 AM »
Doncha just love them long tang inletting jobs?'Bout as aggravating as the iron buttplate.I keep looking at the parts I am trying to sell,and thinking-just maybe anothern?Thanks,Dave ;D

JoeG

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »
Good looking gun Herb, I look forward to seeing it

Offline Herb

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 05:42:26 AM »
MM70, I remembered I did not use a Hawken plug and tang.  There ain't no such animal for a 1 1/8" barrel.  I finally had to use a fowler breech plug and tang from the Gun Works, though Track also has this as an American Fowler.  I cut the back end off square and had a friend TIG weld a piece from a 1" Hawken tang on it.  That is why it had that hump in it.
Herb

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
That's a good-lookin' halfstock.  Get some Muley!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
That is very nice.  My dad wants one of those, so there may be a build for one in my future.

Coryjoe

ironwolf

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
  Love those guns Herb.  I'm a fan of shorter pull lengths as well.  Really changes the center of gravity for an otherwise nose heavy piece.

Kevin

Offline gwill

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
That's a super looking rifle. Which lock and triggers did you use?

Offline Herb

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »
The lock is a Late English, formerly called by Track of the Wolf a Manton & Ashmore, which name I like better.  Their part number is Lock-LR-900 with the reinforced double throated cock.  I used the standard cock in the M&A in an earlier fullstock .58 flint Hawken I built, and that lock could go a hundred hammer falls on a flint.  I really like them.  This one I have shot only about 20 times so far.  The triggers are L&R-1400, with the curved blades straightened some.  Trigger steel is the toughest I have found, they are hard to straighten.
Herb

oldarcher

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
You certainly did a great job on two outstanding Hawkens. I have a GRRW .58 tapered barrel kit that I plan to build this winter, I hope to do as well as you have on these two. Good luck with them!

Whaleman

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
Herb, Who sells brass Hawken parts? Thanks Dan

Offline Herb

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 06:31:48 AM »
Old Archer-  I have a  1 1/8" x 1" 35" .58 GRRW barrel (not threaded for plug) that I also will build into a fullstock flint rifle.  Your kit must date back to the 1970's, a good one.  What kind of breech plug does it have?  A hooked patent flint breech or a solid flint plug where the tang does not unhook?
Whaleman, I got three brass Hawken buttplates from Track on sale for $5 each a few years ago but they don't list them now.  You can get the parts from Muzzleloader Builders Supply in Aberdeen, ID.  Cast brass nose cap to fit any barrel size, a Late Hawken Trigger Guard # 14821, butt plate Early, Late or Bridger in brass.  Probably side plate and toe plate, too.  I am building a .54 caplock Hawken with Log Cabin parts I guess (the owner said "Cabin"), a really good set of parts, he wants it partly  in brass.  Used a 7mm Mag brass case head for the lock bolt escutcheon, with a mix of steel parts.  Traded one of my brass butt plates for his steel one.
Herb

Offline ScottH

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 06:56:23 AM »
track of the wolf does list two brass hawken buttplates, 1 for the Kit Carson = "BP-HAWK-L-B" and 1 for the Jim Bridger
= "BP-HAWK-JB-B" and they are both $29.99
Pecatonica River has a brass one for $36.00

Offline Herb

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Thanks, ScottH.  I should have read my catalog.  The ones I have are listed in TOW Catalog #16 as BP-Hawk-E-B.  They even list that one in my current catalog, #18, but the contour is different, more kick-back at the toe and not as long.
Herb

oldarcher

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »
Hi Herb,
My GRRW Hawken kit was shipped May 30, 1979. It has a patent hooked breech/snail. and has a 1 1/8 - 1, .58 with the very rare slow 1-75 twist. It also was ordered with a premium stock that has very lacy very tight curl. I am really looking forward to building it but I have to finish Vincent with a GRRW Barrel and a longrifle before I start on it.
Good luck with your GRRW build