Author Topic: Rev War accoutrement question  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Rev War accoutrement question
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
Hoo-boy I know this is a controversial question but I will ask it anyway.

I am interested in finding a contemporary hunting pouch/horn that would best depict one owned by a man that joined Morgan's Rifleman in Dec of 1776. He lived in Bedford County VA and probably would not have carried it long since he was captured by the British Sept 10, 1777 or there about (possibly battle of Freeman Farm). Yes I know that there were all types of bags/horns that possibly fit the time/place but would like to see some "educated guesses" on what he "may" have carried to war with him. I would prefer to see a photo since I have problems visualizing text descriptions.

If it makes any difference this man was an overseer an a Beford County VA Plantation and after the death of the owner he married the owner's wife (1765). He probably was fairly well to do but there is no indication of being wealthy. Later on after the Rev War he and his wife move to NC and he appears to have been middle class.
Dennis

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:49:51 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Rev War accoutrement question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
 it will be interesting to see the responses to this. Especially the horn part for me.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:07:10 PM by Ky-Flinter »

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:57 AM »
I did a horn and bag.  But it was Morgan on Arnolds expedition. 

The bag is going to be the hard part...

Giz

Offline rtadams

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:30:51 AM »
8-13-14

Dennis,

I am more interested in the name of the person that you have described. Where in North Carolina did he locate too and when?

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:57:32 AM »
Dennis...
I believe that there are a few examples of basic leather hunting pouches that were converted to impromptu military cartridge boxes by having a standard wooden cartridge block actually nailed into them...I have always thought these were the coolest examples of potential rev war era militiaman/backwoodsman turned regular trooper pouches extant...they really speak for themselves....as for the horn, I'm not sure...if you are a line soldier and are regularly issued cartridges, do you done really need a personal horn anymore...I have always wanted to make a complete pouch set like this and have one planned out and on my to-do list...
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
8-13-14

Dennis,

I am more interested in the name of the person that you have described. Where in North Carolina did he locate too and when?

Best Regards,

Robert
Robert,
His name is Samuel B. King Sr. and I will have to look-up where he first lived in NC but he ended up in present day Transylvania County, Brevard area. Leaving now for CLA show will give you more when I return.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rtadams

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
8-14-14

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply and more to follow. Have a good time and a safe trip.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Hi Dennis, In regards to a Revolutionary War horn, the NC Museum of History in Raleigh has on display the horn of Joel Lane dated in the 1770's. It is a fine horn, though Lane was not a poor man. It may be worth a look. If I recall, it was hard to photograph due to lighting and location. Best wishes, Marc

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
Hi Dennis, I think your grasping for straws. Most contemporary images of 18th century riflemen show them with small shot bags and large ox horns.

In the painting  "Surrender of General Burgoyne" Morgan is shown with a small square bag on his left side. If you look up other images of Morgan, there is one where he is shown sitting on a stump with a musket and large powder horn on his right side.

Because of the importance given to the leaders and founding fathers who fought and won the revolution, I think the common soldier was not given the place in our history that he deserves. Therefore I don't think there are many accurate images of him in existance.

So my approach would be this. I would carry a large ox horn and there are many rev. war examples extant. I have owned a number of them over the years. If you were on the march, you certainly would not want to run out of powder. I would build a bag based on what I think they would have carried.

I think in many cases the bags they carried were small simple bags with just the bare shooting necessities. Unlike modern shooters who think they have to carry everything from their shooting box and be prepared for every possible mishap (myself included).

The bags in my opinion have grown in size and are not a true reflection of what our ancestors may have carried. Please don't take this as a criticism of any bag maker working today. There is just a lot more stuff available to today's shooters.

Just my thoughts,

Centershot
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:25:29 PM by Centershot »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
Small leather pouch with an internal divider. Decent size plainer horn with maybe a step on the throat and initials or name scribed on by the owner.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
Small leather pouch with an internal divider. Decent size plainer horn with maybe a step on the throat and initials or name scribed on by the owner.

Jim,  Would the bag we discussed earlier this year on the forum at
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28449.0
be close to what one might have expected for the period in question?
If so, Gizamo made a great copy of it and maybe he would like to do another.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:19:08 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »
Hi Dennis,  I know you are interested in an authentic VA horn, but perhaps an NC horn was not much different at that point in time.  I went over to the museum today and took some shots for you.  Both have similar, domed base plugs.  The NC History lists these both as being used by the owners during the Revolutionary War.  Of course, museums can be incorrect too, but I thought I would share them with you.  Joel Lane owned the land where the original town of Raleigh (now Capital) was founded, and was wealthy.  His horn is the engraved one.  It actually looks more Nordic to me, but it was passed down through his family.  The other (plain one) is from a North Carolinian by the name of Reeves who also served.  I hope these help a little. My apologies for the poor picture quality, but they are in low light behind glass.   Best wishes,  Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »
If I recall correctly, Tim Crosby has made one similar to the plain one shown above (along with beautiful banded horns of course).  If that pattern appeals to you, you might want to ask him.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 03:19:37 AM »
Hi Dennis,  I know you are interested in an authentic VA horn, but perhaps an NC horn was not much different at that point in time.  I went over to the museum today and took some shots for you.  Both have similar, domed base plugs.  The NC History lists these both as being used by the owners during the Revolutionary War.  Of course, museums can be incorrect too, but I thought I would share them with you.  Joel Lane owned the land where the original town of Raleigh (now Capital) was founded, and was wealthy.  His horn is the engraved one.  It actually looks more Nordic to me, but it was passed down through his family.  The other (plain one) is from a North Carolinian by the name of Reeves who also served.  I hope these help a little. My apologies for the poor picture quality, but they are in low light behind glass.   Best wishes,  Marc
Marc,
Thanks for the photos of the horn. Very interesting. Our daughter and husband live in Raleigh and I would like to see the horn and a few other things in NC History museum. Its been a while since I visited that museum.

As to NC, both sides of my family came from western NC, both sides of my wife's family came from western NC and now our daughter lives in NC. Plus Samuel King, the man I describe in the first part of this post, my 4th G GF moved from VA to NC after the Rev War. And going further my VA Gillespie 3rd G GF moved to NC as soon as the rev War was over. Sometimes I wonder why I am still here in VA ;D
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:21:02 AM by Dennis Glazener »