Author Topic: Sealing a Hunting Bag  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Maalsral

Sealing a Hunting Bag
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »
I have a hunting bag that transfers it's color to anything it seems to contact for a period of time. Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent this?
Mark Thomas

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
Re: Sealing a Hunting Bag
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:05:15 AM »
For further clarification, was the bag only dyed, or was another finish applied to it as well that is also rubbing off in addition to the color?

JoeG

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »
If it is the dye rubbing off,
several coats of neutral shoe polish will seal it
a lot of buffing between coats
 Tandy also makes a product that seal it

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:18 AM »
I can't tell if there is any other finish on the bag, but the dye seems to transfer to anything - knife handle, powder horn, etc.
Mark Thomas

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
Speaking as a novice, I would try dampening the leather and absorbing as much of the dye as possible with some rags or paper towels. After it dries you can then apply oil, shoe polish and buffing or whatever treatment you prefer.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
  First go to the maker and ask if it was ever sealed/water proofed/what dye was used on it...That might lead you in the correct direction...
 There are lots of Water sealers on the market,,I use "Snow seal" on lots of my hunting hear,then there is "Neets Foot Oil" and on and on.. snow seal has always worked for me, but first I would check with who made the bag,,,

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »
I seal a lot of my leather goods with snoseal,works well for me too.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:12 AM »
What type of leather is the pouch?

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »
Sounds like an analine type dye was used...that means that the pigment was suspended in spirits...
after application, when the spirits dried off, some of the dye pigment remained as a residue on the leathers surface...sealing it can be a problem...rubbing off all the surface residue you can with a slightly damp rag then applying a coat of neutral colored shoe polish may work?
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
Another option is to wipe the leather with a slightly moist paper towel and then burnish with a piece of canvas or denim. Wipe a VERY thin coat of 50/50 Mop&Glo/water on the leather with a slightly pre-dampened cloth.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:11:59 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded.  The bag is made out of cow hide.
Mark Thomas

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
With all due respect to others if the dye used was aniline (most likely) as TC noted than you really need to use alcohol (plain ole 70-90% Rubbing alcohol will work fine) to cut through any sealer that may have been applied and to remove the powder residue. Once done buff vigorously with a clean dry cloth (something with a bit of a nap is best).
Then apply a good sealer as recommended - I like Fiebing's harness dressing but Tandy's Tan Cote is a good one too. Most of the time though I use my own version of the classic dubbin: a mix of tallow, beeswax and a bit of oil (cold pressed Extra Virgin Olive oil,  Neetsfoot, or Min oil are all good oils to use).
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »
I'm not going to claim to have any advice on sealing leather. I do have experience with it bleeding all over everything. I have a bag I made many years ago that I have carried for most of them. It was leather from Tandy, a nice reddish brown. I use boot grease on my boots and have used it on this bag (and my others) to keep it soft and pliable. I had hoped it would kind of seal the leather but it didn't. Age won't solve the problem.  At least not while we're young enough to use the bag.
I tend to think that TC and Chuck are probably the experienced ones on this so I'm going to have a go at this bag with their advice and see what comes of it. This has been an interesting topic.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
As you found if the powder residue has not been removed and you use a type of oil or grease only as a sealer than it can often be virtually impossible to stop the rub off - same thing can happen if you oil before dying - the oil acts as a carrier for the dye and will lift it to the surface as the oil dehydrates over time.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
Chuck. Seeing that this bag is old and well used do you think it's worth even trying to seal it or should it have been done looooong ago. Best to just deal with it? Whatever the dye is it has always washed out.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »
Not necessarily - in this case I would do as I suggested and then use an acrylic finish as James Rogers noted - While I prefer period/natural finishes I've had to use acrylics at times on refurbs in order to stop the rub off.. Mop N' Glor is a good one (albeit a bit shinier than I like) and cheaper than a lot of the ones you can get at the leather shops. IMO no harm in trying especially if you like the bag and if successful only a bit of sweat equity and a couple of bucks is all it will cost you....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:01:39 PM by Chuck Burrows »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
.... you really need to use alcohol (plain ole 70-90% Rubbing alcohol will work fine) to cut through any sealer that may have been applied and to remove the powder residue.

Good point. Somewhere down the pike something has probably been applied. If nothing  else, greases and wax from the skin and other things from general use.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »
Thanks Chuck. I'm gonna give it a try. It will only be on the back of the strap and bag so it won't be very visible anyway. If it doesn't work, Oh well. After all these years I'm used to it.

Steve
Steve Skillman