Author Topic: classic ketland  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Don Getz

Re: classic ketland
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »
All of you guys out there that must have a left hand lock because you shoot left handed....beware.    I  hope you like those
strange critters, when you get tired of them it becomes a difficult sell........Don

Hessian

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
I shoot left handed fine with "right handed guns." I'm too busy concentrating on the front sight to be bothered with the flash in the pan. That being said, My favorite rifle gun is my Miller "Lefty!" Would be nice to have a lefty Ketland, but I understand economics. I guess us lefties are just "special snowflakes." ;)
Hessian
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:11:13 PM by Hessian »

Offline J Henry

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 11:19:19 PM »
  Got lefty,GPR,  don't figure to sell it anytime soon,,,took far to long to find it,,Then I shoot an easy answer to the "problem",,, I have a H/A,Underhammer,,"Heritage" ,,can't go wrong there...
 I shoot either side,good idea just incase when tshtf,you can still function,,,, either side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Train the way you might have to fight,,,,

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
Got one in the mail yesterday, here are the pictures.

Anybody have pictures of the old style lock? I have one of these that I got from Barbi at the CLA show in 2012 and it looks just like this one.  Is there an identifier?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
Subtle change in shape of cock...... and I think a change in the tumbler.... not sure though
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
How do you know which one you have then?  ???

I returned my lock to Chambers some time back to fix a bad bounce back problem, and it came back fixed. I think they changed out the main spring. But I don't know for sure. It doesn't bounce back anymore.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
Right after I started producing this lock Gary Brumfield pulled me aside and suggested the cock was too heavy/massive.  Of course, he was right, and I promised him I would change it to be more historically correct.  I'm sorry I didn't get it done before Gary left us, but it's done now.  I also felt the mainspring we were using (the large Siler spring) was a little too heavy for the Late Ketland.  I have also made a new mainspring that we'll be using in the Ketland. 
Very nice lock and yes the hammer does look much better. Keep up the great work and thanks for all your hard work :)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

jamesthomas

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
All of you guys out there that must have a left hand lock because you shoot left handed....beware.    I  hope you like those
strange critters, when you get tired of them it becomes a difficult sell........Don

I'm not going to sell mine. Unlike others out there I don't get tired of flintlock rifles. :-X I hear too many say "I wish I hadn't sold that rifle!". You don't any sympathy from me.

tbarnes66

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:07 PM »

I started working on my "TN" about the time everybody ran out. Jim graciously sent me this one of the "old" Late Ketland configurations. These pictures were taken as received.

I'm still working on it so I haven't shot it yet, but so far, I like it.  Tim

d-a

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
You can make a left hand shooter with a right handed lock. Lock doesn't get in the way of your sights. Hammer might block some of the flash, so it could be an advantage, even!

It's the flame that is vented across my face that I don't like when shooting a right handed flintlock left handed.

d-a