Author Topic: montraville plott percussion bear pistol  (Read 3590 times)

mlbrant

montraville plott percussion bear pistol
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »
Can anyone direct me to a pic. Does anyone know the barrel length of the pistol and the caliber?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: montraville plott percussion bear pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:40:01 AM »
email sent
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
First of all, I apologize if I'm not supposed to resurrect long-buried posts.  Not sure what the rules are on that.

Anyway, I've taken an interest in the Appalachian "Bear Pistols" that pop up on this forum from time to time, and I've been poking around the web to see what's out there.  The most productive "hits" resulting from the searches have led directly back to this forum.  However, I did find this, which may be of some interest:  National Plott Hound Association News.  As near as I can determine, this newsletter dates to October, 2010.  It has a couple of pretty good B&W photos of Mont Plott's famous pistol and its holster, as well as additional photos of accoutrements, some southern rifles, and a few other firearms.  The text is interesting.  While it does not provide the specific detail folks like us want to see regarding the guns, it is well written.  There are some nice pictures of Plott puppies, too.  I don't own a Plott hound, but I'll admit to being a fool for dogs in general.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »
First of all, I apologize if I'm not supposed to resurrect long-buried posts.  Not sure what the rules are on that.

Anyway, I've taken an interest in the Appalachian "Bear Pistols" that pop up on this forum from time to time, and I've been poking around the web to see what's out there.  The most productive "hits" resulting from the searches have led directly back to this forum.  However, I did find this, which may be of some interest:  National Plott Hound Association News.  As near as I can determine, this newsletter dates to October, 2010.  It has a couple of pretty good B&W photos of Mont Plott's famous pistol and its holster, as well as additional photos of accoutrements, some southern rifles, and a few other firearms.  The text is interesting.  While it does not provide the specific detail folks like us want to see regarding the guns, it is well written.  There are some nice pictures of Plott puppies, too.  I don't own a Plott hound, but I'll admit to being a fool for dogs in general.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

You need to get a copy of Bob Plott's book "Strike and Stay" the story of the Plott Hound. He has a lot of info on Mount Plott. If I remember his book on Great Smoky Mountain Hunters has a photo of Mont's bear pistol.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 08:30:34 PM »
Thanks, Dennis.  I'll look it up.  I think it is still in print.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:02:16 AM »
 Good read, Thanks Bob.

Tim C.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »
 ;) ;)... Is a great book, Bob,...as all of his books are,... he does several live presentations in the NC western mountain region throughout the year,... couple coming-up soon in the Haywood Co., area... If you live or ever visit this Smoky Mountain area, you should try to attend one of his events,... He is a great speaker and champion of Appalachian Mountain life in general,... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler...

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:22:12 AM »

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

The Amos Plott rifle looks like an Henry Derringer. That eagle patchbox was a standard pattern he used, particularly on US contract pieces.

I read A History of Hunting in the Great Smokey Mountains and wasn't particularly impressed. Some interesting anecdotes and  biographical sketches of notable hunters, but not much else - the chapters on the Cherokee are suspect at best and he doesn't bother to do any kind of analysis on the post-1800 mountaineer hunters. If you are looking for a good book on period hunting techniques, the role of hunting in Appalachian culture, or how much wild game they actually ate, this ain't it. Maybe his other books are better.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
 ??? ??? ???... Nathan,... you must not have read any of the other books,... Bob covers several of the famous mountain hunters of the time period of 1870's up until the present,... May I suggest you read them all, and if ever have the opportunity , go see his presentation in person,... he does a great job of revealing the western North Carolina culture, from a hunting and over-all viewpoint,... regards,... CCF...