Author Topic: Making a Tumbler  (Read 12934 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Making a Tumbler
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:58 AM »
Forged out a couple square tapered reamers the other evening. One smaller one I forged a narrow tang on for a handle, the larger one I forged an end on it to fit bit brace. Filed hardened and tempered them and used the small one to fit my tumbler shaft in lock plate. I drilled plate undersize and reamed to perfect fit on tumbler shaft. I was surprised I was able to get it as true as I did by hand and by eyeball. Now to fit cock on to tumbler and figure out the rest.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »
Thanks Bob !  I will give it a try.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
 Here are a few hand made broaches I made about 50 years ago. This is the kind some of the early gun makers used. I probably got this idea from some old gun books back in the 50's or some blacksmithing books. These are not hard to make but take some time. I think I probably made these out of hay rake teeth.
 there must be some relief stoned on the teeth.  I have about 5 modern made ones I use now and they are longer and have a more gradual tapper. These old ones work just as well for squaring hammer holes. I just drill the hole a few thousands smaller than the diameter of the broach across the flats and then press these through with a socket on the back side. PS. The cherry is the cherry for the first complete long rifle I ever made. At that time round ball molds were few and far between for odd calibers. I made it out of a concrete chisel.

Moderator's note: Unfortunately the picture link in this post is no longer working.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:24:32 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 05:57:41 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures of the broaches. I believe I can make some of those. Hay rake teeth is good stuff. I brought home a half dozen from the barber shop last trip. (He cuts hair and has an antique shop). I got the cock fitted on the tumbler and the arm cut for the link (or stirrup). Made three links before I got the length just right. I have the mainspring installed and looks like it will work alright.  Need to locate the sear and cut the notches. 
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA