Author Topic: Kibler Copy ....Finished...(Replaced all of the Photos !)  (Read 64291 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Kibler Copy ....Finished...
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Beautiful rifle!! Thanks for sharing the buiding process.

Best regards
Rolf

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
Wow Dave!!
What a great rifle and worthy compliment to Jim.  I really enjoyed watching your progress on this.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
So Dave, If the the final product bothers you too much I will be happy to send you my address so that I can keep you from having to look at it all the time.............. Very nice work and I appreciate your attitude and communication process as well. Its not hard to understand why your varied work is all done so well and beautifully!!  Enjoy it!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
two words:

R SUM!

;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:36:34 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
Ok....I finally got a chance to go shoot this "Kibler Copy" I built with the sights made from a meteor.    I only had an hour or so at the range (and two rifles I wanted to shoot) so I only had enough time to get a few rounds through each rifle to see where the sights were shooting.  I didn't have time to make any adjustments.  Here are the first four shots at 50 yards, .530 round ball, 0.012" thick patch, 75 grains of FFg, from rest........

Shooting at a 5 1/2 inch black, 6 o'clock hold on the black, this group came out good for windage but 5 inches below target center.  I would like to sight the rifle in at 100 yards and the front sight needs to come down a fair amount, but I was pleased with the group. When I get a chance too I want to try the Taylor and Daryl method of using a .005" under bore size ball and an "are you kidding me" too thick patch....seems to work for them...and I put a good radius on the muzzle crown in preparation for that kind of a load.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:57:19 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Kibler Copy ....Finished...(First shots at a target)
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »
Meteor, being heavier than steel, is making your group shoot low.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:06 AM »
You make it sound so simple Tom!  That is a most respectable group Dave, and I agree that you'll need to take away some front sight to raise the group, with that load.  Luck don't enter into it. Like Mike Brookes says, "easy peasy".
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:58 AM »
Taylor,

What is a good starting load for a .54?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:56 PM »
Looks like you have a real shooting star on your hands.

• Member 3
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
Dave:  you can start at 70 grains, and it may be all you need for all your shooting.  But I think you'll find that your groups will shrink with 75 gr. and perhaps a little more with 80 gr., especially out past 50 yds.  You may find your most accurate shooting with up to 100 gr. FFg, but don't rule out FFFg either.  Perhaps more important than the quantity of powder, is the quality of the patch.  Were it I, I'd not use anything thinner than .018" compressed in the thin part of a Vernier's calipers.  This compression is what your rifling does to the patch, so this is the measure.  You will likely settle for a tight cotton weave that measures between .018" and .022".  Make sure the patch is soaked to the point of dripping when you start your ball.  This way, you'll load all day without effort, and without having to wipe.  And your accuracy will be consistent throughout the exercise.  I have noted that others mileage varies, but only here occasionally on the ALR, and those standing outside the winner's circle at matches.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
Taylor,

Thank you for the information.  I have also had a PM exchange with Daryl on loads, patches, ball diameters, etc., and have a good idea from both of you where to go next with this.  Building these things is fun, but making them shoot up to their full potential is even "funner".
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2015, 02:49:31 AM »
 Hey Dave. Could you shoot that good with a 16" navel gun???
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2015, 03:34:04 AM »
With a 16 inch gun (800 pounds of powder behind a 2700 pound armor piercing shell) the muzzle velocity was around 2,690 ft / second and max effective range was 42,000 yards.  Among several other things, you had to take the rotation of the earth into account, more or less, depending on which direction you were shooting and how far away the target was.  (Coriolis effect)  I never punched any paper with one of those guns, but the targets always seemed to disappear completely and with regularity...of course, when the projectile contains a ton of high explosive, it makes up for some minor inaccuracies as far as bullet placement goes.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

• Member 3
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2015, 04:30:36 AM »
Remarkable reading!  I had no idea.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2015, 04:58:43 AM »
Taylor,

The individual smokeless powder grains in the bags are about an inch in diameter and about 2 1/2 inches long.

In the late 1980's I was involved in gunnery exercises with the USS New Jersey off the coast of San Diego...

Here is a 9 gun salvo fired by the USS Iowa - that's 9 times 2,700 pounds of projectile plus 9 times 800 pounds of powder (total of 31,500 pound of material) all leaving the ship at 2,600 feet per second at the same instant.  It's a lot like throwing 9 Volkswagens over the horizon all at once.  I'll tell you, it's a thrill....if you like guns.  Of course, enjoying the sound of the guns is part of why I am soon headed to Costco to get my hearing aids.

Everything about these majestic ships was an engineering marvel....not the least of which are the guns.  The world will not see their like again.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:03:34 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »
 Hey Dave.
  I had hearing aids from Costco and then got them from the Vets. The ones from the vets are better and the service was better also. You have to be qualified.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2015, 07:38:13 AM »
Yes.....I had a doc recommend going to the VA but it will take me more than a year to get into their system around here.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Taylor,

The individual smokeless powder grains in the bags are about an inch in diameter and about 2 1/2 inches long.

In the late 1980's I was involved in gunnery exercises with the USS New Jersey off the coast of San Diego...

Here is a 9 gun salvo fired by the USS Iowa - that's 9 times 2,700 pounds of projectile plus 9 times 800 pounds of powder (total of 31,500 pound of material) all leaving the ship at 2,600 feet per second at the same instant.  It's a lot like throwing 9 Volkswagens over the horizon all at once.  I'll tell you, it's a thrill....if you like guns.  Of course, enjoying the sound of the guns is part of why I am soon headed to Costco to get my hearing aids.

Everything about these majestic ships was an engineering marvel....not the least of which are the guns.  The world will not see their like again.

The World's Largest Varmint Rifles! 16"- Oh yes!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Ionian

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2015, 12:23:37 AM »
Dave I have a question regarding smokeless powder and velocity. Why is it that from say about .308 caliber all the way up to 16 inch the velocity stays near 2700 fps? I am sure it's not a simple answer. Nice shooting BTW.

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
There is an abundance of data including velocity vs. barrel length curves published online.   Try a search for "308 velocity vs barrel length."  This is getting far from the original thread topic.

Being new to longrifles, but not new to shooting accurately... This group seems impressive.

A beautiful rifle, an impressive tribute to Jim Kibler, and a great shooter at that!

Well done. I want one.

Keith

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »
My apologies in advance for resurrecting an old post, but I had a little time and I thought I would see how difficult it was to change out all the now non-functional Photobucket photos with the new system.  This was a 5 page long post with a lot of pictures and it took me surprisingly little time to change them out.  So, if some of you are discouraged (as I was) from even attempting to update some of your posts, I would recommend giving it a try.  It is a shame to loose all the hard work posted here just because Photobucket had a brain @$#%.  I won't have time to do all my posts but I will do several more of them now that I have an understanding of how to do it fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:48:36 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Kibler Copy ....Finished...(Replaced all of the Photos !)
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
 Dave, What process did you use?

Thanks, Tim

Offline KC

« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »
I'm glad you went through the trouble to re-do the pictures in your post. Otherwise I may not have seen this build, it was before I joined the forum. That was a beautiful build, the sites made from a meteorite was a nice touch, likely never done before. Well done.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

n stephenson

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
Dave, As always you IMPRESS!!!  Sir. I wouldn't bet in a million years , that you have never handled an original. If you ever get the chance , come to the CLA show. I know it would be a long trip , but ,worth it. Your posts are always a treat. Thanks for posting.  Nate

Offline webradbury

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
Beautiful gun Dave! I've always been curious what it "feels" like inside the ship when those cannon fire. It has to shake everything!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!