Author Topic: Kibler Copy ....Finished...(Replaced all of the Photos !)  (Read 64300 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Kibler Copy ....A little more progress
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
I think what impresses me the most is how neatly that underlug is installed. Very impressive work.

Coryjoe

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »
I've got to admit, I laughed out loud when I read you are making the sights out of a meteor!  Only you could pull that off Dave.  I can't wait to see more progress.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
 This gets more interesting all the time. Very fine work all around Dave, the Meteor is neat idea.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:02:07 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
Those casts are amazing! What is the material, and how were they made? (Especially without gunking up the original?)

The casts aren't perfect, but they do provide something pretty decent to use as a guide and they're pretty easy to make.  I used Biofoam impression foam to squeeze around the stock.  This takes on the shape.  The foam mold then was filled with Hydrocal plaster.  These are the first casts I've done and can hopefully refine things a bit more in the future.  The Biofoam is sold in chunks big enough for foot impressions, but I'd love to find bigger pieces so more of a rifle could be done with one cast.  If anyone ever locates bigger pieces like this, please let me know.  I learned most of this from Ron Scott. 

Jim

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
Is there a shrinkage factor?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
I don't think there is much shrinkage.  If so, the little bit would be in the plaster.  If you look up a spec. sheet for Hydrocal you should be able to check it out.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....A little more progress....Meteorite sights done.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 03:57:56 AM »
Well, progress has been a little slow.....this working for a living is really cramping my style.  At any rate, I did manage to make the front and rear sights out of fragments of iron meteorites (see previous post).  The front sight blade (left a little tall here) was made from a piece of the Gibeon meteorite that fell about 12,000 years ago in Namibia.  It was recovered in 1836 and is fine octahedrite (iron-nickel).

The rear sight was made from a piece of a meteorite that fell and was recovered in 1776 in Xiquipilco, Mexico.  This one is medium octahedrite.

The rough finished sights.....

More trouble than they are probably worth, but I like the idea that the sights are made from a piece of interstellar debris.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:51:39 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Kibler Copy ....A little more progress...meteorite sights roughed out.
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:54 AM »
I found one once, but didn't know anything about them at the time.  Pitched it (not knowing).

I remember where and could go back, but it's a riverbed and no telling how many times flooded over since.

We're all stardust according to modern science.  

and you left out a LOT of the middle part of that there sight-making process.  Any quirks/surprised to working the stellar material?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:23:59 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

docone

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25:21 AM »
I think those are great. I like the concept, and how the metal looks.
I have some Fulgerite along with some meteorites. I have faceted Moldavite also. Doesn't look good, but there it is.
Good luck, and well done.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 04:32:43 AM »
did that material file easy or hard, for your sights i mean?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Dave........talk about blowing your own horn, now you tell us your sights are "Out of
this world".  Just joking, of course.  It takes a lot of imagination to do the stuff that you
do.........Don

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
Like Wade said, we're all just interstellar debris. But your sights are pretty cool.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Captchee

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
out standing Dave .  not only a great idea but  your sights  turned outr very nice

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
It seems to me that turning meteorites into gun parts is the first step toward forming Interstellar Mining Inc..    Just think,  why wait for them to fall.   Just go turn that killer asteroid into barrels and locks before it ever gets to Earth.  ;D

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
Wade,

Yes, we are all star dust to one degree or another.  As to quirks in working with meteoric iron, yes, there are a few.  The material is not homogenous and often includes very hard spots or, worst to deal with, microscopic diamond particles that chew up a file or saw.  One of the unique characteristics about meteoric iron is the Widmanstatten Pattern shown in the photos.  This type of crystallization in iron-nickel alloys can only happen if the cooling rate from the liquid to the solid state occurs VERY slowly...less than 1 degree Celsius per every 1000 years...a condition impossible to duplicate on earth.  So, as long as the pattern is visible, it is easy to recognize that the iron is not of terrestrial origin.  However, by the time I get finished cutting and polishing the pieces used for the sights, the crystalline pattern is no longer visible and I would have to re-etch them and leave them bright to make the Widmanstatten structure show up again.  But a bright polished sight isn't in the cards, so I will finish them the same way I end up finishing the barrel or by using heat to darken them.

Mountainman,

The material is difficult to work with (hard and soft spots as noted above) and it has a lot of fracture lines that you need to work around.  Othetwise a corner may fall of your finished sight.

Don,

The sights may be out of this world, but my shooting usually isn't.  The one thing I know for sure is that the "dirt seeker" I install in every round ball works perfectly every time and, at some point in the trajectory, I have a 100% success rate for the ball to find the ground....sort of like a little lead meteorite.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »
Wondering if etch to heat blue wouldn't leave some pattern?  Thanks for info.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 07:59:48 AM »
Dave,

You have taken a unique opportunity (most of us gun builders do not have meteorite resources) and made some amazing parts for your rifle, something that will likely be treasured for generations.

Wow, that is just COOL!!!!!!!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
Curtis, There's no shortage of meteorites for sale if you want one.
Prices range from cheap, to not so cheap.
Check out this link; http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/AZ_Skies_Links/Campocito/index.html

John
John Robbins

kaintuck

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
Dave,
I do like this idea....I once saw a knife, blade made from a meteorite in Damascus wY, with a elephant ivory handle as I remember.......beautiful and w/o a price tag!!....this was MANY years ago.....but I have admired your work, now you a new direction......using strange materials for your work...
Think about mastodon ivory for parts.......??? ;)

Marc n tomtom

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....More progress...Stock roughed out.
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
Still too busy with work to throw full time at this, but some progress is being made.  Roughed out the lock side stock contours, got the lock inlet. Made the trigger assembly and got that installed.  Forearm shaped and molding cut in.  Muzzle cap installed.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:52:20 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....Slow but steady progress.
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
Side plate made and installed.  Finished machining and hardening the lock and tang bolts.  Trigger guard is installed and trigger adjusted.  Cheek piece side of the stock is roughed in.  All the metal parts are made and installed with the exception of the spring and end plate parts for the wooden patch box cover.

The only major architectural feature to go, before I start in on carving and finishing, is the patch box.  I've never done a sliding wood patch box.  Any one have any suggestions before I have at it?  (I've read Alexander's description in his book on how he does it.......and I find his explanation fairly incomprehensible.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:35:24 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
  Dave, see if this helps:

http://www.americanlongrifles.org/Workshop_sliding_wood_patchbox.htm

Scroll down to Creating a Wooden PB.

Here is another:

http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/wooden_patchbox_lid.htm

There is another on Al's site under "Tips and Tricks".

Tim C.

PS: You are about 33 days into this (Based on first post) some of us would be happy to be at this  point after 6 months. Looking great, Thanks for the pix. TC
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:04:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
Einstein said that the greatest gift a man can have is imagination. Dave has it and the skill to carry it out.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »
Einstein said that the greatest gift a man can have is imagination. Dave has it and the skill to carry it out.
Very appropriate, Jerry. He is quite an artist!

Vomitus

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
  Great work Dave. I love those big English locks!