Author Topic: Kibler Copy ....Finished...(Replaced all of the Photos !)  (Read 64282 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....Slow but steady progress.
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Tim,

Wow !  Great tutorials.  Thanks for the links.

Jerry, Charlie W,

Thanks for the compliment, but Einstein also said, “Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources” ......and all of the suggestions I get on the ALR forum are my primary "hidden" sources.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:38 AM »
To Jim Kibler.....

Jim, I forgot to thank you again, in my last post, for sending the casts.  They are invaluable in being able to mimic the stock on your rifle.  If I only had the pictures to go from, I would be at a great disadvantage.

Thanks again and I will send the cast back as soon as I finish up a little more work on the stock.  After I get so far, I am committed whether I did a good job of duplicating your work or not.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
It's looking great, Dave.  I've never used casts before, but can see they would be a great help.  I'll be making more of them in the future, for sure.  Glad they have been helpful.

Jim

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
By the way...it's killing me to not engrave the $#*! out of all this blank brass.....but I am controlling myself.  One of the reasons I am copying this rifle is to force myself to work in a style that very much appeals to me but that is not my own.  So each time I go out to the bench I say, under my breath, "Do not pick up the graver........do NOT pick up the graver......just try to make it look like Jim's rifle......"
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
Get it all finished. Take a boat load of pictures next to Kibler's if possible. to prove you did it..............................and then engrave the $#*! out of it the way you like it consistent with the overall essence of the gun!!!   Enjoy it and I am sure Jim and others will enjoy looking at it too    ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »
Started in on the patch box.......

Marking / engraving on the underside of the barrel completed........

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:54:09 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dave B

Re: Kibler Copy ....Start on the patch box.
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
Its great to see your progress with this amazing build David. You are doing an fabulous job. Keep the documentation coming.

Jim, The Biofoam is made in Ohio from my understanding. I have lost their contact info. The company we buy it for arch supports from gets it from them. I know that a seating company that makes custom seats for wheel chairs uses larger portions of this same foam. It comes in 16 x16 x 4" blocks. I had asked one time if I could purchase one from them and they gave me the manufactures number in Ohio. Here's the Aspen seating company's # (303) 781-1633.  The seating company balked at selling to me I think because I was making wheel chairs seats at one time my self. The guy I talked to in ohio gave me a price that put an end to my interest how ever. It was like $150 per block. I can by Oasis foam from Michaels for $2 a brick and glue up a blank to do my molding. You may have better luck than I with this. .

Dave Blaisdell

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 03:13:51 AM »
 Believe  me  those roman letters are not easy to do and they look so good.  Nice job Dave.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 03:24:24 AM »
OK....I read the tutorials and here it is....my first wooden patch box minus the spring and the carving....but the box lid seems to have come out OK, and I didn't follow all the complicated instructions to attach and fit the brass end plate.  I came up with a simple method that seems to work just fine. 

OK..all the metal parts are made, engraved, installed.  I'm down to final stock shaping, carving, and finishing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:54:32 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: Kibler Copy ....Patch box....done except for the spring & carving
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 07:14:33 AM »
Looks great!!  What is the dimensions on you patch box lid?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
Rolf,

The base (widest part) is 1.540 inches wide and the lid is 5.5 inches long.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
Dave, that lid looks to have a slight tapper, rear to forward. If so, how much? Great looking gun by the way.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Smylee,

The lid tapers about 0.150 inches on a side over 4.5 inches.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »
Dave, I haven't posted yet but have been following this thread the whole way - You've done an outstanding job and I admire your willingness to step outside your comfort zone and leave the brass parts not engraved.  It's the lines and overall flow that get someone's attention from across the room - this one (as well as Jim's original piece) will do just that.  I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.  Great work!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2014, 02:08:08 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  When this is done you will certainly be able to tell Jim didn't make it, but I am fairly pleased with how it is turning out thus far and I am learning a lot by trying to mimic Jim's excellent craftsmanship and design.  And it's fun from the stand point that I don't have to try to figure out what I want it to look like...trying to decide how you want to do something when there are no restrictions often takes me longer than the execution.  (But that's kind of a function of not knowing what your doing...:)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:40 AM »
Started some of the carving......

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:34:19 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Kibler Copy ....Started carving
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »
Dave, thanks for those specs on the box lid. I think those lids that have a slight tapper to them transition into the wrist so much smoother. Nice clean looking carving too.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
 (But that's kind of a function of not knowing what your doing...:)

Dave--
I have seen your work as your posted it here and also own a couple of pieces that you created. Based on those two facts, I am sure you will be able to show us a fine rifle that will be very close to the one that Jim has done. It looks like you have a great start.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:41:58 PM by C Wallingford »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Dave......you have always impressed me with all of your little things that you do, and
this gun is coming along great.   What really impresses me is your name on top of the
barrel.  This type of lettering is difficult, it is either done right or it looks like $#@* and
will jump out and bite you.  I have a feeling that when this gun is finished you will
succomb to looking at those bare brass parts and will have to "finish" them.......Don

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
Don,

Thanks for the kind words.  While, in the past, I have felt obligated to engrave anything that would hold still long enough, I am becoming "at one with" Jim's more elegant but less overtly ornate style.  I still want to strive to be able to do things like Jerry Huddleston does them, but this less decorated style is a pleasure to work as well...and it goes much more quickly when you don't spend three days just engraving a trigger guard.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
While, in the past, I have felt obligated to engrave anything that would hold still long enough, .....

Dave, does that come from the Navy maxim: "if it doesn't move, paint it"?

Your gun is looking fantastic and a very nice compliment to Jim.  As always, your carving is crisp and clean.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
David,

Yes...had to laugh at the "if it doesn't move, paint it" comment.  Of course, the other half of that is, "if it does move, salute it".
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....More Carving.....
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
Well, it's not "Kibler Quality" carving but it is coming along ...and I am learning some new techniques as I try to duplicate the details of Jim's rifle.

And the rear sight is now installed.....

I will have to stop work for a while as I must travel for business, but it shouldn't take me too long to finish this one as soon as I get back.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:55:18 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Kibler Copy ....More Carving.....
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »
...and I am learning some new techniques as I try to duplicate the details of Jim's rifle.

This is exactly why one copies another's work. One learns new techniques in the process of copying. It's often not clear what you will learn at the outset, but appreciation sets in somewhere along the journey. You might learn something about the master, but you also learn something about yourself by pushing yourself to new levels, going into unknown territory.

Good job, Dave! It's great to watch your progress.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Kibler Copy ....At a stopping point for now...
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2014, 05:37:39 AM »
Finished up the last of the rough carving.  All of it needs to be gone over, straightened out, sculpted a little more, and the background cleaned up.  However, forward progress will have to wait for now.  (This working for a living stuff is really cramping my style....)  At any rate, here is where I will have to leave it for a couple of weeks.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:56:16 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780