General discussion > Gun Building

your first build

(1/1)

John Longwitz:
Was posting a reply in the old room to a question about kits but, since it's a month old, and seems to have been hijacked into some flames about barrel steel, I thought to answer some questions for 1st time builders should they ask them.  I am new to longrifle building and elected to get a Track of the Wolf Isaac Haines kit.  Prior to doing this I did a fair bit of research so got what I expected.  The TOW kits are definately not for those who wish to put one together and go shooting.  The barrel channel (swamped in the case of mine) is inlet to the point that you have a guide for final inletting.  Same for the tang.  The ramrod channel is already there and the lock is partially inlet.  Stock is roughly shaped.  I have no regrets as, although eager to get a shooter, I know that slow and steady will win out.  I can certainly recommend them to anyone who wishes to learn several skills in the process.  I'm in no hurry so, after about 2 months, have only finally inletted barrel and tang and lock plate.  Hope to get some pics forthcoming soon when it begiins to take shape. 

Dr. Tim-Boone:
Way to go John!!  We will be looking for those pictures.  They are always helpful.

gibster:
Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing how things are progressing.  Please keep us informed as I really enjoy hearing and seeing how others work towards taking pieces/parts and turning them into something that is a joy to behold.  Thanks.
Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version