Author Topic: Bought 3 Nice powder Horns today  (Read 4266 times)

jamesthomas

Bought 3 Nice powder Horns today
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
 Well, Fort Mims had their annual get together for the Fort Mims Massacre today. Ran into a guy by the name of Walter Mabry selling some finished scrimshawed horns  :o $225.00 and up to over $350.00 Very very nice!. I ended up buying 3 nice white powder horns to torn into the finished product. I'm glad I got there early because these 3 were the only white ones worthy of doing some scrimshaw on.  He said he just finished the trip up to Dixon's and going to the CLA show, I reckon I caught him on the way home. 1 horn is 10 inches, 1 is 12 inches and 1 is around 14 inches or so. The 2 longer ones curve very nice around your hip. They will make very nice F&I era horns. Walter was the only person there selling anything worth while, didn't even have anybody selling stuff like flints, jags, bore mops, etc. Luckily its only around 55 miles from me, so it wasn't a to bad of a drive.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Bought 3 Nice powder Horns today
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »
Walter is fantastic with his scrimshaw.  I met him through our common friend David, and Walter did some nice scrimshaw on some grips for me.  He is very talented and modest.  I am glad you got to meet him.  Best wishes,  Marc

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
Pictures, need pictures
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
 Now the 3 horns I have are plain horns with nothing done to them except some scraping to make them smooth.  I do have some Red Maple to make caps and stoppers with. I need to get the Book re-creating the American Powder Horn before I start, Walter mentioned something about the "Golden Mean" when making horns so that it is "balanced". I'll probably get my brother to scrimshaw it cause I can't draw worth a lick. I need to buy him some horns so that he can work on them and sell them for a bit of extra cash, He is very good at drawing and stuff like that.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »
james e got to this site,  thehornsbench.com  that is the site for Powder Horns and the like..Great group on 'NON EXPERTS" that are more than willing to jump in and help anyone doing Powder Horns and the like>>>

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
james e got to this site,  thehornsbench.com  that is the site for Powder Horns and the like..Great group on 'NON EXPERTS" that are more than willing to jump in and help anyone doing Powder Horns and the like>>>

Thanks I'll check them out. I need all the help I can get.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
http://thehornersbench.proboards.com/

is a proper link.

same place. ;)
Hold to the Wind

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
 Yep, just joined, about gave it up though when I got their code to put in, come on now, 32 characters? :o with numbers and letters? and both capital and lower case letters? how do you tell if its a capital O or the number zero?  I lucked up and got it right the first time. I wonder how many folks would like to join but can't get the code right. ???.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Interesting. I've been there so long that it was much different to join then. I'll take that up with Beaverman when I see him in a couple of weeks. I just stay logged in so I don't have the frustration.

Steve
Steve Skillman