Author Topic: Hunting Bag Question?  (Read 11140 times)

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
Re: Hunting Bag Question?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
I have heard it intimated that a lot of the horns, knives etc. in the book were added to the pouches later, as the bags were restored.  It makes sense to me and if true, I don't think it takes anything away from the value of the pouches or the book.

And to contribute to the original question, I personally wear bag on right side, horn always attached to bag. I'm right handed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:03:25 PM by SligoBill »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »
     Virginiarifleman  I wonder what they done with all the left handed raw cow horns? I cant imagine they cut them all up .Curt

Prolly turned them into right handed horns. Not that hard to do.
Psalms 144

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 04:29:44 AM »
Clark   do you think they turned them into screw tips or what ? curt

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:56 AM »
Clark   do you think they turned them into screw tips or what ? curt

If there was a double curve, that could be one way of doing it. For those less pronounced the plug could be fashioned to make it ride on the right hand side.
Psalms 144

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
I am right handed and have worn my bag on both sides - many shoots now require the horn to be worn opposite from where you fire from.  My horn used to be attached to my bag strap.

I find it awkward to try to get both my measure out and my horn unplugged when they are on the same side and hold the gun, etc.  I now wear my bag on my left and my horn on my right, the horn on a separate strap.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »
many shoots now require the horn to be worn opposite from where you fire from.  

I find that odd especially for offhand rifle shooting. I hold across my body with my left arm holding the forestock shooting right handed. The tip of my horn is more exposed or at the very least as much as on the left side with my arm up and elbow away from my body than it is if on my right side under my arm.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:27:18 PM by James Rogers »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
Like the picture of the squirrel hunter that was posted I wear my small squirrel hunting bag/attached horn (left) and the small general purpose bag/attached horn (right) on my right, occasionally on the left - I shoot right handed.  Which side depends on what I'm carrying at the time in my left hand (gun carried on with my right hand). 

The separate (gifted) bag and the larger horn are only a little larger and can be worn any number of ways.  This pair allow for more powder, more ammo and more accessories to be carried.  All three horns are still subject to more modification.  Ignore the bamboo shot "snake" which has no connection with the bag...

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.