Author Topic: Not a beauty, but I like it  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Not a beauty, but I like it
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »
The J. Atkinson Tenn rifle in our library ( I don't know how to insert a picture). I think this will be the inspiration for my next build. So I would like to hear any comment/advice on rounding up the parts. I want a .40 cal barrel. I would prefer a flintlock. I want double set triggers, which one? I will probably make my own mounts. Cherry stock. What about all those inlays? Pewter? Silver?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Not a beauty, but I like it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »

view the image, grab the link, wrap with image tags ( )

is this it? 

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21626.0

folksy for sure.  I'd go B weight on the 40 and at least 44 inches.  Something late and English for a lock, no production triggers will even resemble those.  The inlays look to be brass to me, but German silver would work and isn't that what that other decorated TN rifle uses?  Name slips me.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
Yeah, That's it. I really like the treatment of the patch box. I'm not talking about a bench copy, just inspired by this gun. The triggers are pretty funky.  German Silver, eh?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

galamb

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
For a barrel I would go with a (42") Rice Southern Classic in 40 cal. Late English flintlock (Ashmore style) from L&R looks close to what's on this one.

If you would be using "off the shelf" parts, MBS has a trigger guard that is close (spoonbill style) and while the triggers look thick/heavy I think a Davis #4 in kit form could be "persuaded" to at least take the same shape as the original.

Likewise, a patchbox "small kit" in German silver from MBS plus a sheet of GS would give you all you need for that patchbox.

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »
Nordecker

That stock looks a lot like walnut with a red finish rather than cherry,not that you can't do it in cherry if you like!!!

Mitch

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
Nordnecker,
The original rifle is made from walnut.  I would use Chambers late Ketland flint if you can find one (just round the tail) and modify Davis #4 triggers.  The original rifle has an iron butt plate, patchbox, thimbles, and trigger guard.  It has 40 poured pewter inlays and nose cap. A few of the inlays have gotten loose over the years and someone in the past has put a nail in them to hold them in.  If need be, I can send you a rubbing of the patch box.  I would make the trigger guard a bit more graceful, and the original triggers are a bit heavy.  It has a very nice rear sight that I have copied several times on mountain rifles.  I can send you a photo of the rear sight if need be.  The finished sight is well worth the work it takes to make one by hand.  I think it is a .38 cal, so a .36 or .40 would be close.  The original barrel is a straight 15/16 across the flats, and I think it is about 41 inches  in length (I haven't measured it in a while, so I could be off a bit).  I would use a straight 13/16 44 inch long .40 cal. to get a bit thinner rifle.  Just my thoughts.
                                                                                   Roger Sells
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:58:50 AM by rsells »

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »
Big time thanks to everyone for your input. I wondered if those inlays weren't poured. I suspected the stock was stained walnut- I just haven't used much cherry. I was thinking about a 42" barrel. I used a late ketland on my last (first) gun and really like it. So…. I'll be mulling over all this, maybe start ordering parts in a week or two. Keep the comments coming.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
There you go!

Thanks Roger.
Hold to the Wind

whetrock

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
It would be nice if the moderators could add Roger's notes about measurements, etc. to the library entry for this rifle.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:42:44 PM by Whetrock (PLB) »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
It would be nice if the moderators could add Roger's notes about measurements, etc. to the library entry for this rifle.
Done
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

grouchy

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »
Looks like a great project! Keep us posted! Thanks, ned