Author Topic: Cap Pressure  (Read 2994 times)

rhyno214

Cap Pressure
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
Would anyone happen to know the force required to burst a no. 11 cap and be willing to share it? I am in the process of designing a black powder pistol for open competition and need to re-design the in-line system but can't find the force anywhere  ???

Whaleman

Re: Cap Pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
I can't believe anyone knows this in measurable terms. As a mechanical engineer I am really at a loss for the correct measurement. A big heavy hammer moving very slow might have more ft/pounds of energy than a light hammer moving fast. But the light hammer might work better.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »
Design it with coil springs so you can easily change them out at the range?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
Use an adjustable spring tension screw on your striker, that way you can adjust the force. You want to find the optimum  amount of force, just enough to pop the cap consistently but no harder, any more just causes excess movement of the barrel. The Yazel pistols are set up this way and it works great. 8)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
And in terms of a striker, light and fast is the way to go.

John
John Robbins

rhyno214

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
I was actually basing my design off of a Yazel actually, Bama, but i need to make the striker system as small as possible so the barrel can sit on axis with your hand (like a free pistol). Does anyone have experience with under hammer firearms? does the impact of the hammer add a lot of upward movement? Also, why inline? why not have an angled ignition system to make everything more compact? I am probably just over-thinking this, but just curious :)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
This discussion is outside of the realm of this forum(inline/underhammer actions).I am locking the thread but l will leave it up if someone wants to continue it in PM's.

Mitch
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:32:49 PM by aka tallbear »