Author Topic: Magic inlet outlining chisels  (Read 10763 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Magic inlet outlining chisels
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
OK, after reading Jim Kiblers, and Gary Brumfields articles on inletting by stamping with a tiny chisel, I am intrigued.
Up till now, I've always outlined with a knife, then removed the background.  The results are usually pretty good, but I've seen some of Jim's inletting, and it is spectacular.

So, the question of the day..... I need some detail on making one of these chisels.
I've looked at Gary's articles, and it still can't put my finger on just how to make one of these.,also, Jim says not to round or bevel both sides of the chisel.

Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Magic inlet outlining chisels
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
Dane a link to pictures of mine made from some flea market finds,they are lense shaped and beveled on both sides.Gary made his from piano wire if I remember correctly. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29664.0

Mitch
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:01:59 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
These are photos of one of Gary's personal stamping chisels.

Mitch

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Mitch,

Those are the ones I was referring to. I guess my concern is regarding the lens shape.  Doesn't that push the wood fibers out away from the original line, making the inlet bigger?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »
Yes they do which in most cases is exactly what I want.It allows the inlay to be easily installed and when I whisker or apply my aqua- fortis stain any gap is gone as the wood swells back up to fill tight to the inlay.

Mitch

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »
Yes,indeed the wood swells back hut.

I use a variant on the tool above. each tool in the pic is shown below the kind of stab mark it makes. Some of the tools are flattish on one side and rounded on the other for making tight turns.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:40 AM »
Acer,
Do you have any photos of those tips?
Mitch and Acer, thanks so much, I'm going to make a couple, and give them a try.

The reason I asked this, is after cutting my outline with a knife, it seems I always have to carve that line back to make the inlay go into place. Many chances to make an error.  This may help.

Again, thanks for all your input.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
Smallpatch, this may be of some help: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20500.0

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
This is all I have.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
 Those are good looking tools. They are a lot like the ones I use for wire work however, I think most of the magic is in the hand that holds them.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
I use the same tools for wire and stabbing.

Thom

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
Yes they do which in most cases is exactly what I want.It allows the inlay to be easily installed and when I whisker or apply my aqua- fortis stain any gap is gone as the wood swells back up to fill tight to the inlay.

Mitch

Now I'm beginning to understand.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:58:24 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 04:54:49 AM »

Now I'm beginning to understand.

Me too. It's taken me nearly 60 yrs, but I'm getting there!

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »
I'm confused...why not use regular carving chisels for inletting and stamping in carving?  I tried to use a 2mm 2sweep for in stamping in some cheek piece carving once and it looked like a dogs breakfast.  If the drawing doesn't perfectly match your chisels, alter the pattern slightly or buy more tools.  So much easier than using tiny tools to nibble your way along.  Wire inlay or odd complex tiny inlays are a different matter and there I see the use of course.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
Where can one find the articles by Jim Kibler and Gary Brumfield? I would like to read them. Is there a link to these articles?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/ is Gary Brumfield's website. His wife elected to keep the site available for those that wish to read many of his articles.

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
I'm confused...why not use regular carving chisels for inletting and stamping in carving?  I tried to use a 2mm 2sweep for in stamping in some cheek piece carving once and it looked like a dogs breakfast.  If the drawing doesn't perfectly match your chisels, alter the pattern slightly or buy more tools.  So much easier than using tiny tools to nibble your way along.  Wire inlay or odd complex tiny inlays are a different matter and there I see the use of course.

I'm with you, Ryan.  The only time I use these tools is for wire inlay or very odd and irregular inlays.  Gary used these tools and certainly got good results from them.  I just find regular carving tools to be more efficient and produce better results.  For those on a very tight budget, they can be a good thing, though.

Jim

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
Thanks Dennis for the link to Gary Brumfields web site. The Power Point presentation on Gary's carving is very interesting. Is Gary still with us and carving guns?

Jim Kibler, I saw your relief carving examples at the CLR in August and I am very impressed with your high level of workmanship. Actually it would be more accurate to define it as highly skilled artwork.

I bought Homer Danglers video on carving. His approach is to use a "V" gouge and mallet to outline the carving pattern instead of of stamping with chisels. I have been playing with that technique and my results are very poor. In my very limited experience, I find stamping gives me a better result. I have only been practicing on pieces of wood and old discarded stocks trying to produce some decent results at relief carving. My carving is very disappointing.

At this time I think I will focus on the stamping approach and need to add some chisels to my carving tool box.

Jim can you provide a list of chisels you would recommend that would include every one needed for relief carving on American Long Rifles? I would like to put together a complete set. Probably cannot get them all at once but over time will endeavor to complete a set.

Thanks

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 12:37:22 AM »
Gumboman,

Sadly Gary passed away roughly a year or so ago.  In addition to the obvious loss to his friends and family, this longrifle community lost a great resource.  Not only was he great craftsman and a super guy,  he was also a wealth of historical information.

He is sorely missed,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 04:53:12 AM »
These are the tools I've been looking for.  Unfortunately I have no way of making them myself in my present living situation.  If anyone were interested in making a set for me, I would be more than happy to pay your price.  If so, please PM me as this is getting off topic and I don't want to cause problems for the moderators.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

sosoeddie

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:29:37 AM »
These are also the tools I've been looking for. I have many of the Swiss-Made gouges and a lot of other tools, but nothing that looks like these stamping (Gary Brumfield) tools. I just purchase a Jim Chambers kit that I am going to carve from one end to the other and I need these tools. So, if anyone has a source, please advise.

jlynn

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »
For years I have used inletting chisels made from hacksaw blades snapped off about 2 or s in. long  Grind cutting end to various widths (my  widest one is about 3/4 of blade width) I made 4 with narrowest  being app 1/32. Sharpen end only along one side-the other remaining straight.  I place the one I need JUST ON the inside line and tap wirh  a childs small ball peen hammer.  works good for me.  THESE CHISELS WILL NOT WORK BY PUSHING-TAPING ONLY Cannot do photos My most narrow one even does curves  Enjoy all of your info!  Remember one side bevel sharp the other left  alone