Author Topic: burnishing leather  (Read 4931 times)

omark

burnishing leather
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »
When you fellows burnish the edges of holsters or sheaths, do you do it while wet.   The leather, not you.     ;D.    Thanks in advance, Mark

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: burnishing leather
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
  I wet the edge and let it dry to damp, then burnish.  Most often with a piece of coarse denim. Sometimes a polished antler tine.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
Agreed. Only very slightly damp on the very edge or it will roll on you. I use canvas or a  brown paper bag and follow up with the polished crotch of an antler. Hide glue or gum tragacanth is the edge dressing.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
Try mixing beeswax and parafin, 50-50.  Sponge the edge without soaking it and wax it up.  You can use anything from the above mentioned techniques all the way to a wooden or felt wheel on a 1700 rpm machine ( ala John Bianchi)  but half the battle is the quality of the leather.

If you rely only on water the edge will fray a little faster.  Gum Traganath, although pretty stinky, will help hold the edge but you gotta work it in with the denim, or whatever you are using.   Most of the off the shelf retail products will crack or wear or peel off over time .
I used to use a wick lamp, iron heated to deep purple, and wax on the edges of the soles I put on shoes, but it was hard to work with safely.

Just kep at it and you will find your niche.

omark

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:27:02 AM »
Thank you guys very much.      Mark

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
You can also buy a ceramic "edge slicker" from Tandy.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson