Author Topic: Waxed Linen Thread  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
Waxed Linen Thread
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »
I am looking for a good source of waxed linen thread for stitching leather.  Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Eric

D. Bowman

Re: Waxed Linen Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »
Wall Mart in there crafts section comes in 25 yard rolls

Duane Bowman

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
Eric
I got some here a couple of years ago.They have several thicknesses and colors.They will sell wholesaleor retail.

Link;http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17ar.htm

Mitch

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »
I just purchased some from Walmart's craft section.  White, 25yard spool for $1.98 per spool.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:18:13 AM »
Walmart huh.  Randy/Duane, what ply are they?  I'll have to check them out tomorrow.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

D. Bowman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:46 AM »
Linen thread from wally world is 4 ply

Duane Bowman

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »
Buy it unwaxed and wax yourself - a whole lot cheaper in the long run....all you need is a chunk of beeswax......
Campbell- Bosworth: http://campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=linen - I have not used the less expensive Hungarian thread myself but reports that I have received from others who have state that it just fine and costs half as much as the Barbour's.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

D Nickel

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
I bought the Hungarian 5 cord linen thread from Campbell Bosworth and it works very well, it is even no thick or thin spots and with a 5cord it is heavy enough for rough use or you can separate the cords and use 2 or 3 cords for light leather to wax the thread I use a mixture of beeswax and pine pitch it locks the stitches very well.  Duane

BlackleafHats

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 05:17:41 AM »
Has anyone tried using bookbinders linen thread?

Sincerely
Morgan Shea
Blackleaf Leather

Trkdriver99

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
I have some of the latest Wally World thread and it is junk. It is not very strong and breaks very easy. They used to have it made in Tiawan and now it is made in China. Krap the other used to be good, used a lot of it.. The Hungarian is really good. Have black and white works very well.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:38:52 PM by Trkdriver99 »

jasontn

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
i get mine from susan wallace, susan, on frontier folk. ill look up her contact info this afternoon. she has good thread in various weights and really great prices. shes very knowledgeable about textiles and dyeing.

BlackleafHats

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
I found this stuff on Amazon.com and wondered if anyone has worked with it?
http://www.amazon.com/50-Yards-Bookbinding-Linen-Thread/dp/B0025U108E

Cheers
Morgan Shea

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
Has anyone tried using bookbinders linen thread?

Sincerely
Morgan Shea
Blackleaf Leather

I found this thread in the bookbinding section of a good art supply store.  They had other brands and sizes, but I'm sold on this stuff after trying those.  It comes in colors, so it can be made to match the color of your leather dye more easily (for me anyway) than you can ever achieve dying the white stuff after it's been waxed.  Brown is best for darker dye jobs, butterscotch for lighter.  I like the natural too when I want the stitching to really stand out, but I use the brown 10 to 1 over other colors combines.  There's enough thread on a roll for half a dozen bags anyway, and I put a lot of sewing into most bags.  If you aren't putting in welts and extra pockets plus a seam around the bag flap, who knows how many bags you can get out of a single roll.

omark

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »
i tried some from wally world and it was pure junk, someone on this site recommended campbell-bosworth , so i tried some of their unwaxed and it is great. look back in accoutrements and find my post to get some other comments.  mark

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
It comes in colors, so it can be made to match the color of your leather dye more easily (for me anyway) than you can ever achieve dying the white stuff after it's been waxed.

BB - the other option with undyed thread is to dye it with the same color dye before waxing - cut off a section dip in the dye, and wipe of any excess by pulling it through a cloth - let dry and wax.

On the other hand for period thread you generally had three colors:
natural, white, and black - the latter via the dark hand wax (aka coad) mixtures
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

BrownBear

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »
Thanks Chuck!  I'd always wondered, but never got around to trying it.  The brown in the thread I linked is very dark, but I doubt it would "pass" for black.

jasontn

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:07 AM »
heres the email for susan wallace, silver shuttle. i have gotten all my linen threadfrom her and it is of very good quality.
yarns@bellsouth.net

BlackleafHats

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 03:15:12 AM »
Hello All

Bringing this one back around. I just came across this company, and prices looked good in relation to quantities.
http://www.wmboothdraper.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_25_69&zenid=ee741aa98ac60e19513db8c5f3fdbb0e

Cheers
Morgan Shea
Blackleaf Leather

Ole Doc

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »
THROWIN WOOD INTO FIRE ...
what about "HEMP" thread, when did it come about ?
not sure myself.
Have used it for various projects and it is strong.
juss wondering ...

g.pennell

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
Don't know much about hemp, except that growing it around here is frowned upon...even if you say it's for the fibers!  Flax won't raise nearly the eyebrows...

Greg