Author Topic: Round Face English Sear  (Read 2483 times)

Offline WKevinD

Round Face English Sear
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »
I was just laying out and getting ready to fit a trigger in an English Sporting rifle and had the lock mounted, hole drilled to trip the sear. I cycled the lock a few times while thumbing the hammer and all seemed OK
I pulled back to full cock tripped the sear and all seamed well until I removed the lock and found broken pieces  of the leading edge of the sear, small, sharp like glass. the sear still catches the notches in the tumbler but the inside (toward the plate) is missing the largest piece (a triangular chunk about .040)
Has anybody else had this happen before? Cause?
I am worried about further "shattering"  and jumping out of battery
Yes, the fly was in place.
Ideas?
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

greybeard

Re: Round Face English Sear
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
Best you order another sear from the agent. The one you have is faulty.  Bob

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »

Best you order another sear from the agent. The one you have is faulty.  Bob

I plan on calling Barbi on Monday, it's just I was so surprised. It looks like it was tempered to brittle and not annealed at all. Just trying to understand the why and how.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
I've sent parts back to Jim when they've broken and he's later told me that there was a tiny casting flaw, void, etc in the part that made it crack.  Give them a call and it'll get sorted out quickly.  Best,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:52:25 PM »
I had this exact same thing happen a few weeks ago.  I contacted Barbi.  She sent out a new sear and asked that I send her the broken one, which I did.  The lock had been sitting on my bench for a year or more before I started to install it and the sear broke.  It also looked like it was just too hard and had not been annealed to the proper toughness.  No matter, Barbi replaced it immediately and I have had no issues with the replacement.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780