Author Topic: Moving a Trigger guard lug  (Read 11439 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Moving a Trigger guard lug
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:07 AM »
I didn't see anything in the tutorial section about this, so I thought it might be helpful to some of our newer members.  I'm currently building a fowler and needed to move a lug as it had some placement problems with the trigger plate.  You could also use this method to replace a lug that needs to be longer...

first, the lug that needs to be moved or replaced is cut off from the trigger guard

Next, a shoulder is filed on the replacement lug

A hole is then drilled in the trigger guard, roughly shaped with a jewelers saw, then filed to fit the lug.  A bevel is then filed on the top edge of this opening.

The tab on the new lug is then peened into the beveled opening in the trigger guard

Lastly, the lug is filed smooth with the trigger guard.

This is a simple fix to a fairly common problem, and I feel superior to silver soldering.

Ed

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:10:35 PM by rich pierce »
Ed Wenger

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: Moving a Trigger guard lug
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »
Nice work, and a good looking guard, are anymore around like it ? I see mold lines is it new---newer ?

Offline tiswell

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Wow, a real timely post for me! I have a lug to move, along with some other changes. I was thinking about this on my drive to work this morning. I was planning on a mortice and tenon joint but had figured on soldering. Thanks for sharing this! This forum is great!
                                                                                            Blessings, Bill

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
Nice work.  A couple other options are to just drill a hole, peen the lug in it and then silver braze.  In fact, you don't even need to peen it in place with silver braze.  A butt joint will be more than strong enough.  If you have any doubts, just braze a test piece like this and try to pull it off.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
That is how I put lugs on my forged iron guards. Good post.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
Excellent tutorial Ed.  Typical of your artistic and professional talent. 

As I read it, it occurred to me that this is similar to the way traditional Colt 1911 front sights are staked in. 

I am not a builder, but I love reading these forums.  You guys are AMAZING artists, and are so generous in sharing what you know.  My sincere thanks to all. 

God Bless,    Marc

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
Fabulous!

Someone please remind me to move this to the tutorial section in a few days?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
Glad this is helpful!  I didn't invent it, and I'm sure more than a few guys do the same thing, I just had my iPhone handy when I did it, so I thought I'd snap some photos.  As Jim said, there are other methods...

I have no idea where I picked up this guard, it's been laying around the shop for some time, waiting for the right project.  If anyone knows who makes the guard, I'd love to know as we'll.  It has a small bow, but I really like the design.  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
I agree with Ed that the mechanical joint is better for this project, than a silver soldered one.  A faint silver line is unavoidable at the joint with silver solder.  I use silver solder, however, on brass guards.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
Nice share Ed.
That TG looks to be one by Mike Lea. He originally made it for a reduced size fowling piece IIRC.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:11:37 AM »
Nice catch, James!  I looked at the trigger guard and on one of the lugs it's stamped "Michael Lea".  Should have asked you first, lol...

Ed
Ed Wenger