Author Topic: Iron work......  (Read 7897 times)

kaintuck

Iron work......
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »
My hat is off to those like Mark Elliott and his metalwork.....I have been hammering and heating and solder swaggering......and my 1st triggerguard still looks as if it's my 1st!!!!

I certainly fall under the "backwoods blacksmith" label...........

Tomtom just sits there and watches........he ain't no help...

Marc n tomtom

Offline Old Ford2

Re: Iron work......
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:10:38 AM »
If Tomtom is of no help............................I'd show him a plate of Chinese chicken fried rice looks like, and then explain his options are, if he doesn't contribute more. There may be considerations to entertain. >:(
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

IKE

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:44:34 AM »
triggerguards are HARD!
GOOD LUCK!
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns
eitnierrifles.com

sbaker

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »
I ve tried to make several southern mountain trigger guards, but always end up tossing them out. Butplates I can do with a little jig I fashioned, but trigger guards nope.

Good luck!!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:31:54 AM »
I only show you my successes.  ;D   I am very persistent,  it is a character flaw. ;)

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:57:26 AM »
It helps if you have fixtures or jigs, holding devices.....but you have to make them as you go along. It also helps to watch somebody else make one. That way you can see the steps taken to make one. It also helps if you can get ahold of an old original (or somebody else's work) and use that as a pattern in making one.

Having one in your hand allows for the opportunity to measure the components that go into making the guard.

I do believe there is a spiral bound book that dscribes and shows in line drawings (pretty good, too) of several differnt styles of iron made triggerguards as well as triggers......can't remember the title, but I know the Log Cabin has it.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:11:17 AM »
 Never show anybody your failures. They will find them and point them out soon enough. The better you get the more criticism you will get.  There are a few real good books on ornamental iron work that will give you some real good ideas on forging complex pieces.  One thing that creates a lot of head aches is most of you are trying to forge parts by yourselves.  Almost all blacksmiths had a helper.  It helps a tremendous amount to have someone else to hold parts in position for you to hammer or weld. Without a helper one must resort to a lot of devises and procedures  like riveting to get the job done.  Then we feel like we have cheated in the process.
  One must do what is necessary to get the job done. NO rules.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:02 AM »
Jerry is right about help.   It would be a whole lot easier if I had a third hand.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:38 AM »
Guys,

Here is a trigger guard forged all in one piece from a wrought iron blacksmith tong handle.  The front pin tab is welded on and the rear held with a screw.  The wrought iron grain follows all of the curves without any cross grain.  Not something I plan to repeat, just to see if I could do it.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:48:21 PM by James Wilson Everett »

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »
Jerry is right about help.   It would be a whole lot easier if I had a third hand.

Tomtom will hold things for me......until I get the 2# hammer out......he just don't trust me....
:-)

I will attempt to assemble my pieces Saturday, but I found out.....try and drill the hole BEFORE a you bend the stock.....sigh......oh well, it IS. A hobby for me~

I understand the saying now "why spend $20, when I can make it in 6 hours?"
;-)
Marc n tomtom

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
I only show you my successes.  ;D   I am very persistent,  it is a character flaw. ;)
Mark,
I am sure all us who have dwelt in forging iron or steel mounts have a pile of "non-successes".   ;)  I know I do.  ;D
David

mattdog

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »
Among me and my friends when showing off a piece of work is the question,"How many tries before you got that one?"  The reply is often like, "three" or sometimes more.   :D

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
Well, not got any pictures......nor will it win any prizes......but I did finish it.....its browning now.....after the riffle is assembled, we'll get some pictures......

But the shop cuss jar is full......there's enuff in it to buy another lock from barbie.....

Marc n tomtom

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »
Well, not got any pictures......nor will it win any prizes......but I did finish it.....its browning now.....after the riffle is assembled, we'll get some pictures......

But the shop cuss jar is full......there's enuff in it to buy another lock from barbie.....

Marc n tomtom

Putting a cuss jar next to the forge is considered entrapment in some states.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »

Marc n tomtom

There was a car towing service here years ago that had "Don't cuss, call us and we'll cuss for you for a price".

Bob Roller

Offline PPatch

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 04:40:05 AM »
Well well then... the secrets out, trigger guards, even your simple looking southern mountain type, are difficult to forge. And here I was cognatining on forging some, and me with no forge and zero experience at one.

Scratching that off my list, some paths are better not trod.

Thanks tomtom, and you too Marc

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 04:58:55 AM »
There is nothing simple about any of the best E. TN iron mounts.   They are only deceptively simple.   You should try making a set.   However,  I am sure they were much simpler for the blacksmiths that made a few everyday.   At best,  I would only make four sets a year.   You can't get really efficient in your production at that rate.   You can only get good at getting the result you want.   

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »

Could also lead to "dancin"  yehaaaaaaaaaaa   Dave ;D