Author Topic: Why no 42" 24 gauge smoothbore barrels with tapered Octagon?  (Read 5523 times)

jamesthomas

Why no 42" 24 gauge smoothbore barrels with tapered Octagon?
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
 I've looked a looked but it seems nobody has a 42" Oct. to Rd. 24 gauge barrel with a tapered Octagon section. Everybody's (that I know of) 42" Oct. to Rd. 24 gauge Octagon Section is straight and then it starts to taper.  Colerain, Track, Pecatonica, Etc. doesn't have one, I've called an asked them. Anyone know who makes one? I know Mr. Burton can make me one but he's 8 months behind.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Why no 42" 24 gauge smoothbore barrels with tapered Octagon?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:58 AM »
I have a 24ga x 42" that's is 1.020" at the breech tapering for 9" to 1.000" then 16 sided 3" more to a wedding band. then it's tapered round to the muzzle. Don't ask me who made it cause I don't know. I got it in a huge bunch of parts I bought.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
You can take a straight oct. to round and make it into an oct. to 16 to round tapered in less than a couple of hours with draw file.  And it looks more classy than a tapered one.  You also don't have to do all 8 flats, just the exposed ones.  The wedding band serves as a natural stop for them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Jim Hart

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
I have a 24 ga north west gun I built from one of North Star West's kits.  The barrel tapers including the octagonal portion.  Oops - before posting I checked and even though it appears to taper because of the way the flats are shaped, by measurement it is parallel.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »
Riley Smith makes  46" for Chambers kits.. call them and see if they have what you want (42"). I used a 46" from them and it was really nice. Thin barrel compared to Colerain etc.   (352) 748-7373

PA Fowler / Smooth Rifle (Long Hammock)

46" long Octagon to Round Swamped with flared tang
    20, 24, 28 gauge or 50 and 54 caliber
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:01:08 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »
 Well, I went ahead and bought a Colerain 38" 20 gauge from Muzzleloader Builder Supply. TOTW was out of them with a "maybe in January restock". MBS had 2 left and they didn't know when they would get anymore in either, so I went ahead and bought one.

Stuartg

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:35:49 AM »
Atta boy! Should be a sweet handling fowler!

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »
 Well, after some searching, PT-ing and PM-ing, I found out that Tracks Double wedding band Oct. to Rd. barrel does have some taper on the Octagon part not much though,  too bad TOTW's 42" Oct. to Rd. barrels all the same profile so a 24ga. barrel weighs 5 pounds and a 20ga. weighs 4 .25 Lbs. So after doing some more searching and calling around I bought a 42" Colerain Griffin profile barrel in 16ga. from Mr. Tip Curtis, came in today Btw, and it is a very nice barrel. I sent the 38" barrel back to MBS. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
What Tim said. I have one in .50 smooth. Is that a "C guage?" I think a 32 guage is .506 or something close. Anyway, nice barrels.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »
I've looked a looked but it seems nobody has a ...I know Mr. Burton can make me one but he's 8 months behind.

"Behind" is not the right word there.  Yes that's the production lag, but this is how most all ultra-small custom/semi-custom shops operate (of many goods).  If you are told 8 mos. and it takes 12, then that is "behind". 

Inventory is expensive.  I'm proud for every one of them to enjoy the steady work and not be starving completely to death.  Top craftsmen are too often underpaid and under-appreciated until it's too late.

Hope you got a bbl sourced/made.
Hold to the Wind

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
Not sure about 24 gauge but next time give Larry Horrigan a try. Custom made barrels made without a lot of wait time. The Lancaster smooth rifle I last finished had one of his barrels and it came out great. 269-793-3265 Hopkins Michigan

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
Charles Burton will make anything you want. Call him.