Author Topic: Murder of Melchoir Fordney  (Read 5147 times)

Offline nord

Murder of Melchoir Fordney
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
"Trial and Conviction of John Haggerty"

I displayed the book at Lewisburg and many showed interest and wanted to purchase my copy.  I did a bit of research and found a source for a few remaining copies.

Since I had no idea that there might be a chance of new books still being available, I failed to take  names. I'll gladly place those interested in touch with the owner of these publications. The history offered to readers is amazing, though the trial transcripts are dry at best.

nordata@earthlink.net or (888) 330-9610

Please note: This is not an offer to sell, nor am I being compensated in any way for this information. Much like the library, this is just one more small attempt to capture history and share it with generations to come.

In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Murder of Melchoir Fordney
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:27:40 AM »
Nord,

I'm interested. E-mail sent.  I saw your books on the table at Lewisburg.  Sent you my contact info.

Kunk
Kunk

jwh1947

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Nord and Kunk.  Here's an excerpt from my 1992 book The Pa-Ky Rifle: A Lancaster Legend, long out of print and sold out.

Documents paint a rather clear picture of what occurred in Lancaster on Oct. 7, 1846.  The tragic events unfolded in broad daylight, in front of witnesses whose accounts were recorded in newspaper stories and in a printed transcript of the subsequent trial.  John Haggarty, a neighbor of Fordneys  with a troubled past, entered Melchior's gunshop at 508 Queen St . shortly after 9am and asked Fordney to shoot a horse that had been bothering him .  Fordney refused and Haggarty grabbed a rifle and went outside to shoot the beast himself.  He snapped the rifle twice but it did not discharge.

Then Haggarty went into his own house, got a rifle and an axe and shot the horse.  Haggarty claimed that he had killed the demon horse with silver bullets, and, to be certain, silver coins were extracted from the horse's carcass.

The noise caused a commotion, and neighbors, including Fordney and his common-law wife, Catherine Tripple, came out and ordered Haggarty to give them the gun. He gave the gun to Tripple and immediately brandished the axe, lunging toward Fordney. In short, Haggarty dashed out Fordney's brains, bludgeoned Tripple to death, and critically injured one daughter, as Melchior, Jr. saved one of his sisters and ran down the street yelling "murder."

I'll skip the trial, which is fascinating, as you are getting the book and I don't want to ruin it for you.  I will tell you this much.  It is an important trial, as it was the first one I know of to employ the insanity defense in this district.  Jury deliberated 16 1/2 hours.  Can't wait for the transcript, now, can you?  I know, I'm rotten.  Regards, JWHeckert

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »
Wayne,

Thanks. After much searching I finally located and purchased a copy of your book from the Booksavers in Ephrata (No. 286).  A treasured addition to my small but growing, humble library. My wife then gave it to me as a Christmas present.

Karl
Kunk