Author Topic: N.C. Gillespie  (Read 4283 times)

Oldbow

N.C. Gillespie
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:25:24 AM »
Planning on building a Gillespie gun, anyone worked on one ?

Looking at a .40 cal w/ light (A) swamped 42"

Any thoughts ???????

Ernie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: N.C. Gillespie
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:53:52 AM »
I've built a few, what do you need to know?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »
Ha!  I'd listen to/ask Dennis, Ernie.  Excellent resource for all things Gillespie...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »
Dennis doesn't know what he's talking about....  He's only written a book on the family of gunsmiths and studied them in detail  ;D
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:28 AM »
And he is a member of the Gillespie family.

Oldbow

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »
When and were the earliest guns made?
were there mixed metal guns made ( forged iron trigger guard with brass butt plates ??

I'm thinking

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »
were there mixed metal guns made ( forged iron trigger guard with brass butt plates ??

I'm thinking
You need to buy Dennis Glazener's book "The Gillespie Gun Makers of East Fork N.C."  You will see very basic everyday rifles as well as discover the prolific work of Phillip Gillespie, whom used a sometimes tasteful, other times gaudy combination both brass and steel on some of his guns.  I finished up a Gillespie rifle about a year ago.  Dennis was there to consult me anytime I had a question.  It is a 44" .40 caliber A weight.   http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-gillespie-project-by-david-rase.html
David

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »

I'm thinking
John Gillespie born on the Cowpasture River of Augusta, now Botetourt County VA and lived there until his move to the George's Creek area of SC circa 1785. I feel sure he learned his gun maker trade in VA but I have not found proof to back this up.

So far the oldest signed Gillespie is a flint rifle shown here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8015.0 This one is my John's son Mathew and probably was made circa 1810. Other earlier Gillespie may exist but if so I have not seen them.

As to mixed metals, I have seen several with a mix of iron, copper and brass. One that I know of had the tg and bp made from both iron/brass this one was by Philip, Mathew's son.

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
Looking at a .40 cal w/ light (A) swamped 42"
Forgot to add, a 40 cal is about right for a Gillespie the largest caliber rifle I have seen is 45 and many were 40-42 caliber. The B profile barrels have too much swamp. The Rice Southern Profile and the Getz light profile barrels are very close to a lightweight Mathew rifle that I have handled, others were pretty heavy barrels and not good handling at all.
Dennis

Oldbow

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:37 AM »
Did a drive over to Tipp Curtis's shop today. He showed me 2 new trigger guards he is making now. He calls them north and south Carolina

The bow on each is larger and wider than the Gillespie stile that has been available for several years.

Picked up a N.C. model nice wax cast.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
I would love to see a photo of those trigger guards. Could you post one? Or email it to me and I will post it.
Dennis

Oldbow

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
Dennis; Sent you a E- mail.

Built a gun with the early version of this guard many, many years ago. Really like the way it fits, holds on that squirrel rifle.

Tipp's guards should be a big help to anyone wanting to build this style mountain rifle.

Kinda pricie ....... at 30.00 ea.

Ernie........