Author Topic: looking for kit suggestions  (Read 7112 times)

tw160504

looking for kit suggestions
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
Hello all!  I am looking to build my first flintlock and am looking for a good starter kit that wont break my bank.  I have a budget of ~600 and would like to build a PA style rifle.    

Also are there any gun makers on the front range of CO?  I think having a local resource would be very helpful.
thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:27:18 PM by tw160504 »

Offline c deperro

Re: looking for kit suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
My advice to you is pay the extra money and buy a Jim Chambers kit and his dvd on how to put it together. His quality is second to none. I think you will be disappointed in the quality of many of the cheaper kits.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
Ditto. Absolutely.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Online sz

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »
You need to answer a few questions for yourself first.  Question #1 is “What do I want to do?  Should I build a gun or two for myself only and be content, or should I learn to build guns from a blank so I truly understand what is involved in making a good gun?”

You see, if building to own is the motivation, you will find that the most expensive kits on the market (Like the Chambers and Dangler kits) will build you the easiest gun and sometime the cheapest gun if your time is even worth $5 an hour.  The Chambers and Dangler kits are correct and the build is super easy.  There are no problems you need to correct and no  “mistakes” to work around.

Some other kits will be cheaper but have more challenges to deal with.  The cheapest “kit” is a set of parts and a blank of wood.  However if you want to learn to build instead of just making a gun for your own use, building from a blank is the way to go.  Yes it’s WAY more work but after you do a few this way you will truly understand how one is supposed to be made and supposed to fit.

Here is a link to a tutorial I did on building from a blank a few years ago.  Please forgive the “run-around” but I am very ignorant of the cyber world and I could not figure out how to post this without help.

http://blackpowderfa.proboards.com/thread/194/left-hand-lehigh

Pecatonica and Track of the wolf both offer kits that run from quite good to semi-problematic and you can make a good gun from any of them, but the more time you have to spend dealing with small errors in shape and architecture the less of a value they may become to you.   

Is there a specific type of gun you have in mind?
What will the gun be used for?  Mostly targets or mostly hunting?

If it’s going to be for hunting, then you need to ask yourself “hunting what” and hunting where?

I am not very computer wise, but I do know a bit about building muzzleloaders.  I am always available on the phone to answer questions and to give advice.  It will cost you nothing to ask questions.  And an answer to a question BEFORE you make a mistake may save you a lot of time and money down the road.

I hope this helps

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
Some 20 years ago, I built a couple of guns from kits because I really wanted to own a flintlock rifle to hunt with and thought that this was an inexpensive way to do it. I built what I thought were pretty nice rifles until I saw actual historical examples and then met with people who knew better than I what they were doing. My work didn't look anything like what I saw.  The kits I started with were "generic" in nature.  Once I bought copies of Rifles of Colonial America , Books 1 and 2
I could see the differences .  I could have saved myself both time and money if I would have spent more on that first "kit"
When I wanted a fowling gun, rather than do the work of research etc etc, I just got a New England fowling gun git from Chambers. The result is that my 10 bore is historically accurate, and I am exceptionally happy with it.  Any of the suppliers of the top end "kits" will provide you with the beginnings of a piece that you can be happy with for the rest of your days.
Somewhere along the way I got hooked on the building process itself, but that is another story.

Offline little joe

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »
Just finished a 40 cal. straight octogon Rice bbl. with Davis trigger no 6 , Chambers flint lock,  brass trim, Maple wood with fair curl and the odd parts. 650 dollars in parts. If you mail order you will have  shipping on top of this plus  Possibly some sales tax. This was not a kit, building from a plank. Not trying to discourage you but advising you of the cost. Good lock, barrel  and trigger and it may not look to good but will shoot well. My first couple of guns were confusing,as to what they were. Gun or fence post, take your pick. Save a  while or buy your parts as the budget allows . Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
Hi TW,

Welcome to ALR, make yourself at home and we hope you will enjoy your time here.

Since I don't know your background, woodworking or metalworking skills, etc. I think I should mention the "kits" from Chambers, Dangler, Pecatonica, Track of the Wolf, etc., while they are good quality component sets, they are not just sand, stain, and assemble "kits".  Even with a pre-carved stock, they will require final fitting of all the components into the wood, cutting of dovetails in the barrel (unless you pay extra to have this done), and a myriad of other tasks to complete.

If you have some woodworking and metalworking skills and some basic tools, workbench, vise, etc. you will do fine with any of the above mentioned component sets, or even from a blank stock.  Good luck in your endevours.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

tw160504

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
Thank you for all the replies!  great information.  I have enough wood working experience to know I am horrible at it and dont have the tools to do any metal working.  An ideal kit would have some wood working and fitting and I really liked the pecatonica kits, they fit my budget and skill level.  I would like to work up to getting parts and a blank stock, but thats down the road when I can afford the time and tools, I'm a poor college student at the moment. 

As for books, the rifles of colonial america volumes are a bit pricey, are they worth it?  Would vol 1&2 take the place of three or four other books?

thanks again!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »
Thank you for all the replies!  great information.  I have enough wood working experience to know I am horrible at it and dont have the tools to do any metal working.  An ideal kit ...

Then sir I do suggest you buy a gun "in the white".  It will be fitted and shaped, you do the finish work.  Finish work can be a challenge in itself, especially if you fancy the "seasoned" sort of stuff.

I'm pretty good with tools and such, so i built from a blank and over the counter parts the first time.  And will continue to do so.
Hold to the Wind

buster

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »
Hello,

I just signed up, what about Tennessee Valley Muzzleloader kits? I cannot comment on them in particular as they are still filling my order. I can certainly comment on them once my Tennessee Rifle shows up. Its a Poor Boy style in steel.

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
As for books, the rifles of colonial america volumes are a bit pricey, are they worth it?  Would vol 1&2 take the place of three or four other books?

Sir,
I get the impression that you are reluctant to spend money at this time (poor college student).  May I suggest that you save your money but buy those pricey volumes 1 and 2.  Study them as you would one of your college courses.  You will discover that those books are worth several credit hours and will save your money in the long run because you will then know where to spend those hard earned dollars.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
The Chambers kits are well done and have a lot of the hard for the newcomer stuff done, dovetails for example on the ones I have seen. These are better than anything I have seen from anyone else.
All the better books will be needed in the long run. You might be able to obtain ROC 1&2 and others from interlibrary loan so you can take a look at them for a week or so and see if its what you need.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Thom

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
I could concure with our friend WadePatton. You do not seem to have the desire to jump into rifle building. You might do much better purchasing a fine fitted rifle in the white. You could then finish the metal and wood to your liking.

I do not know any venders. I'm sure others will chime in.

Thom

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »
These parts sets which are misnamed "kits" require many hours to complete. The one big advantage w/ these parts sets is that the stock architecture is close enough so that it probably can'r be screwed up. Also the roughed in inlets are positioned properly. 

Have built a few of the various parts sets and have found mistakes on all of them..... some major but mostly minor.

Have done 3 Chambers' parts sets and compared to some others, the brass is the best and the locks are first rate and carry a lifetime warranty.

In addition to the cost of the parts set, tools will have to be bought.....so as was said, an "in the white" LR  might be the way to go. Requires a file , sandpaper or scrapers and the stain and finish......Good luck.....Fred

Stuartg

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
I wouldn't overlook Dunlap kits.

I'm putting a LH Isaac Haines together as we speak and must say it is top notch. Inletting is great, shaping is great, parts are first class and heck, the wood comes right from the source that other companies buy from...plus super great guys to deal with. Give them a look!

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »
You can not go wrong with a Chambers kit, might be a little more than your budget but well worth the added cost.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
I am also ready to get a kit.  I have the experience to do any task on a long rifle kit or parts set.  My last complicated build was a ML side by side shotgun, it is nice.   I really want to do an Armstrong ca. 1810.  Without the ability to hold one I fear I'll get something wrong.  Julia Auction has one on their site that I love.  I wish I could rent it for a while. : )  Track has an "Armstrong" kit.  I see flaws immediately between theirs and the real deal. 

That said, I will probably go the Jim Chambers route.  None of his are what I want but, I think it will be better for my obsessive nature to build a reasonably be correct rifle.  Better at least than a messed up version of want I think I want.  It will be a good way to do one that is first class rather than striking out on my own first try.     

I am in the process of joining a local club with lots of builders.  Hopefully somebody will have some wisdom to pass along.  Building one of these rifle in a vacuum will probably not produce a historically accurate product. 

jamesthomas

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 02:03:14 AM »
I am also ready to get a kit.  I have the experience to do any task on a long rifle kit or parts set.  My last complicated build was a ML side by side shotgun, it is nice.   I really want to do an Armstrong ca. 1810.  Without the ability to hold one I fear I'll get something wrong.  Julia Auction has one on their site that I love.  I wish I could rent it for a while. : )  Track has an "Armstrong" kit.  I see flaws immediately between theirs and the real deal. 

That said, I will probably go the Jim Chambers route.  None of his are what I want but, I think it will be better for my obsessive nature to build a reasonably be correct rifle.  Better at least than a messed up version of want I think I want.  It will be a good way to do one that is first class rather than striking out on my own first try.     

I am in the process of joining a local club with lots of builders.  Hopefully somebody will have some wisdom to pass along.  Building one of these rifle in a vacuum will probably not produce a historically accurate product. 

Knob Mountain Muzzleloading has an Armstrong stock you might like. Check him out.