Author Topic: Dutch flint pistol engraving DONE plus ramrod/lockbolt conflict SOLVED!  (Read 5427 times)

Hemo

Back in May of this year I posted pictures of a Dutch/German flint horse pistol I had just finished except for the lock engraving. (Topic link here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30969.0 ) I held off on the lock until I went to the NMLRA Gunmakers Seminar in Bowling Green, Ky., and took the engraving course taught by Jim Kibler to kick up my skills a notch. A very useful and fun course--thanks again, Jim! Anyway, I just now finished the lock engraving, and as promised, here are a couple of pics:
[
Not as perfect a job as I would have liked, but better than a bald plain lock, and anyway I'm not the King's Royal Engraver.

Another problem I had with this pistol was that, upon final assembly, I found the ramrod hole going dead square right through the middle of the front lock bolt hole. It collided so perfectly, there was no way to notch the lock bolt, or otherwise fudge the course of either hole. At first, I decided to anchor the lock with a single rear bolt, and place a fake lock bolt (cut short, tapered, and filed as a wood screw) into the front lock bolt hole, plugged with a dowel. Not a great fix. With the single lock bolt tightened, the nose of the lock tended to rise up out of the lock mortise.

The solution I came up with was taken from later British work I have seen (not sure if this would be correct for early Dutch in the 1720's, but hey, it worked!) I took a 10 x 32 plain lock bolt with a big non-domed cylinder shaped head, threaded the shaft all the way to the head, and ran this from the inside of the lock through the existing tapped lock hole until the head was tight against the inside of the lockplate. The excess bolt on the outer surface was cut off flush with the lock plate, then the bolt head was filed down to make a locking lug extending forward from the original front bolt hole, as shown in the photo. A short flathead screw was placed in the very front of the lock inlet and countersunk until flush with the inlet, and the lock inlet notched next to the screw to receive the lug on the lock plate. The lock can now be dropped into the inlet, the front lug hooked into the retaining screw, and the rear lock bolt tightened normally. The result was a rock tight fit on the first try! The lock nose no longer rides up out of the inlet, and nothing shows from the outside.

[[/[
Jeez, these hypermagnified photos make my inletting look like $#*!!
You can see the ramrod at the bottom of the original lock bolt hole directly in harm's way.

Here is the left side of the pistol, showing the fake forward lock bolt, now actually a screw.
 [/

So anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope this little fix may help others!

Gregg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Dutch flint pistol engraving DONE plus ramrod/lockbolt conflict SOLVED!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
That's a pistol all right!  I like it.  Quite an undertaking.  Nice work all around.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »
I think ya did big. (Thats redneck for good) ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

andy49

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
That is one nice pistol. Your engraving looks great.
Andy

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
Nice work on that pistol. Your lock engraving looks pretty darn good and it sure does look better than a blank lock in there.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »
Great job Gregg.
You must have been paying close attention in class.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Hemo

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
Thanks to all for your kind responses!

Gregg

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
You were a good student. Very nice effort.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
Well Done Gregg!  The pistol turned out great.

I enjoyed being in class with you as well!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
Greg, good fix!.....I have my 1st rifle that needs the front bolt done like your fix.....I will get to it sometime.....I realley liked that idea!
Thank you
Marc n tomtom

Hemo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 05:30:16 AM »
Thanks, Curtis!

I like the way your engraving came out on your Bucks county rifle, too! Very nice job.

Good luck with your lock bolt, Kaintuck!

Gregg