Author Topic: question on gunstock finish  (Read 3247 times)

Offline mountainman

question on gunstock finish
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:40 AM »
what would create a " too thick finish" on my rifle, ?   i had used 1 cup of oil based varnish ( spar varnish ) and 1 and a 1/2 cup of turpentine, and a  1/4 cup of boiled linseed oil, and i mixed it all together in a jar, then I applied 3 coats of sealer, and about 7 coats of the recipe on the gun,.  I believe this is similar to what Bill Kennedy used.,,,
was it too many layers? or what?????? or maybe not the right mix ????
Would like to hear your opinions, i am one that likes to experiment with different ideas,,,,

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: question on gunstock finish
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »
That sounds like a really thick concoction.  You can build up just about any finish to be too thick on a stock.  Doesn't matter what the mix is, if applied too heavily then it can build up and even gunk up and not cure sometimes.  Are you having trouble with the finish curing, or is it just really thick?  What was the consistency of your mix?  Whether its oil or varnish, the biggest trick is rubbing it out in thin layers.  Oils will be easier to do this with than spar varnish.  If you're going for a pure smooth finish, then wet sanding between applications will smooth things out and ultimately reduce the thickness of a finish.  3 coats of sealer and 7 coats of finish seems like a lot unless you rubbed it back between applications.  Spar varnish is incredibly thick and has additives for uv protection.  I'd start with something more straightforward.  You may like the ease and finish of polymerized tung oil (not minwax, try behlin) thinned with naptha and a few drops of Japan drier.  Works in like an oil and dries hard like a varnish.  Again, the trick is rubbing a few drops at a time until it feels like its not there anymore.  Hope this helps some,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline mountainman

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »
Thanks Eric, answer to your question, I believe it is dried, least on surface, it seems to be more soft than hard, it would take about 3 to 4 days before it felt dry, as for being cured, how would I know. I did rub between coats with oil and steel wool to smooth it, and to get the shine off . I entered 2 guns at the Dixon's judging table, and they mentioned that the finish was to thick on both guns. I hope that helps to answer your question.
I will have to do more research on what you mentioned above, never did experiment with dryers..
Thanks so much for your help, and like I said before, I'm open to new ideas.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
  How long did you wait between applications?? I put on a coat, wait a week, then one coat per week for a month, then one coat a month for six months,or until you get the finish you are working toward,Rubbing,smoothing between every coat.Takes a while to get the finish correct but it can be the deciding factor between ok and great!!!!
  The formula you used would, IMMHO, create build up,Try leaving out either the Varnish or the BLO, one will soak in, the other not so much.
  The varnish could be sealing in the BLO and not letting it dry completely resulting in a soft/not dry surface.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:35:12 PM by J Henry »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Hi,
A total of 10 coats sounds like a lot to me unless each coat was just a few drops hand rubbed in or put on for a few minutes and then the excess wiped off completely.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »
Most of my finish looks as though it is in the wood, not on it. The finish is not that "thick" at all, with a soft sheen.
A modern Browning , with it's plastic look finish is not what you want .  I use a small amount of finish, and spread it out as much as possible. Then let it cure, and do it again. Stop when it looks good.  Usually around 4 times for me.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
Ten will/could/might be to many,,that is why I wrote ."Or until you get the finish you are working toward" Furniture/cabinet working is my background, when it comes to wood and finishes. And be careful around any carvings,inlays and metal to wood fits,,,,,