Author Topic: Percussion chunk gun questions  (Read 7244 times)

Offline okawbow

• West Tennessee/ Southern Illinois
Percussion chunk gun questions
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
I'm thinking about making a Tennessee styled percussion chunk gun for matches at my local club and possibly elsewhere.

What features are desirable and within the rules, for a good chunk gun?
Is it better to have a faster twist and use lighter loads, or slow twist and heavy loads?
Would a drum or patent breech be faster or more reliable?
Who makes a good chunk gun barrel?
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Daryl

Re: Percussion chunk gun questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Probably find chunk shooters use the most accurate load in their rifles, whatever it might be, regardless of twist.  That said, I think the bench rest guys usually use around 60" to 66" twists in their .69's - and with 200gr. of powder or more.
Dan might be able to help out with what he shoots in his .50 cal. plank rifle.  Guys using .40's, usually 48" twists, use around 60gr. to 75gr. seems to me I saw in one chunk thread.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
My barrel choice would be a Rice Match grade 1 3/8" octagon 44" long 1 in 66 Twist, in 54Caliber. or your choice of Caliber.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:52:09 PM by Virginiarifleman »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
You should hop over to this site,  http://targetx.boardhost.com/index.php.  and visit the "Over the Log" section. New site for target oriented muzzleloading shooters.

I think you'll find chunk guns all over the map. Some may be shooting heavy loads, but 60 yard shooting probably won't see the same kind of powder weights that the RB bench and slug gun shooters use. My chunk gun is .54 x 54", 1 in 72, and weighs in at 33 pounds (and with the unmentionable action that hits the bottom of the barrel  ;) ) It's pretty extreme--a weight bearing workout. There are full-stocks, half-stocks, and naked barrels, and flintlock, sidelock perc, mule ear, and underhammer (moderator: oops, sorry). Some carry ramrods, some don't. Anyone remember the red-painted gun with the barrel made from a tractor axle? Called it "Farmall" if memory serves. Paint one green and yellow and name it "Poppin' Johnny."

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
I'm thinking I'd rather build a more conventional looking rifle than an all out, anything goes target rifle. I could see using a heavy barrel, maybe up to 48" long, but want to keep the gun somewhat "normal" looking.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:40 AM »
I bought a southern chunk gun and hunting rifle years ago. It was probably used for both. Large and heavy, barrel is 50 inches and all the mounts are wrought iron. Barrel is a little over 1 inch across the flats and slightly swamped. I think it is 43 cal. This is a southern mountain chunk and hunting rifle. Hope this is the kind of rifle you are wanting to build. The rifle is not signed. If you want to know more mail me of line

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »
If you have alot of cresent in your butt plate it might be quite uncomfortable to shoot in regular chunk matches because of the position you shoot from.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I'm thinking about making a Tennessee styled percussion chunk gun for matches at my local club and possibly elsewhere.

What features are desirable and within the rules, for a good chunk gun?
Is it better to have a faster twist and use lighter loads, or slow twist and heavy loads?
Would a drum or patent breech be faster or more reliable?
Who makes a good chunk gun barrel?

You don't want light loads.
I would not go slower than 1-66 for a 50 cal.
I would hope it would shoot well with 90-120 gr of FF or FFF.
I have a 50 cal McLemore that the maker states shoots best with 120 gr.
These barrels are very smooth and uniform internally and will shoot into the same hole to 100, he tests them. But don't think he is making ML barrels anymore. He also used 4150 steel.
I never use a drum and nipple. Don't care for the risks involved.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
I'm thinking I'd rather build a more conventional looking rifle than an all out, anything goes target rifle. I could see using a heavy barrel, maybe up to 48" long, but want to keep the gun somewhat "normal" looking.

This rifle weighs 17 pounds 12 ounces.

I built it cause I did not care for the often butt ugly rifles people use for rest matches.

Dan

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
I haven't heard from Jim McLemore recently but I know his barrel making has been all but stopped due to his wife's health issues which are substantial.He does use Gun Barrel Certified 4150 when he does make barrels.
Drums and nipples are a no no to me as well.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Some of those target dedicated rifles are as weird as wire wheels and whitewalls on a stage coach to me also.
I have a picture Bill Large gave me years ago and it shows an across the log match and apparently they used breech and muzzle loaders as well. Taken about 1900. Speaking of Bill Large,it was 29 years ago we buried him on 26 Sept,1985.Seems like last week.

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »
I haven't heard from Jim McLemore recently but I know his barrel making has been all but stopped due to his wife's health issues which are substantial.He does use Gun Barrel Certified 4150 when he does make barrels.
Drums and nipples are a no no to me as well.

Bob Roller

He was talking of giving  up on  ML barrel making due to people not interested in paying for a quality barrel. I know he was spending a lot of time caring for his wife and could not get to the shop.
Dan

Offline okawbow

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:56 AM »
Thanks Dan,

How long is the barrel on that rifle?

I usually shoot flintlocks, and I have a .54 with a 48" Charlie Burton barrel that pretty well shoots as good as I can hold the sights. That rifle weighs 10 1/2 pounds. I'm looking to make a dedicated percussion chunk gun that might also work as a bench rifle or a "post" rifle in other matches. We do some shooting at 125 yards, standing, and resting the rifle on a peg on a post.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Over the years I shot a 40 cal,a 45, and a 50 cal. chunk gun.   Shot my best scores
with the 50.  Something to think about....as you get older, that heavy gun will wear on
you, get tired.  Also those long barrels, 48"and up, since you normally clean between
shots, when you have an extra long barrel you will find yourself reaching higher and
higher and that old arm starts getting tired.   I made a simple loading bench and made
about a 10" stool that had a cutout for the butt of the rifle.  That, in conjnction with a
44" barrel made it a lot easier.  Had a lot of fun over the years, sure do miss it........Don

Offline Ben Quearry

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
I would go with a Rice barrel. They have won a lot of chunk gun matches, among others.

Ben