Author Topic: Ball Starters  (Read 28242 times)

Offline Virginiarifleman

Ball Starters
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:58:37 AM »
is there any documentation of the use of ball starters in the 18th century or early 19th century ?

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Ball Starters
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:15:07 AM »
I don't think so and it one of those things that most purists say is a purely 20th century invention. Now, I could be wrong on this and I use them myself but as far as documentation goes, I've never had any pointed out to me.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:26:38 AM »
The trade-off in accuracy and no-wipe-all-day shooting makes "authenticity" a non-issue for me.  That and I'm not trying to accurately portray "living history".

I do prefer the term you choose.  (I made my current ball starter from split Hickory and Bodock.)  

"Short-starting" is a sin that results in bbl damage, so I'll never use that nomenclature to refer to ball starters, no matter how "popular" the other term is.

I think Mr. Shannon captured the majority opinion in current thought on PCness as to starters with his comments.  I haven't looked deeply into it, too much other for me to learn.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:39:39 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

bnail

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
Wade, what's "Short starting" and how is it bad for the barrel?  Can't say as I see a difference between the two terms at this point. 
Since I've only ever used my thumb I guess I never paid much attention to the technique or the terminology. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think Wade is using the term "short starting" to mean the dangerous situation that can occur when someone uses a Ball Starter to set the patched ball a few inches into the barrel, and then due to distraction, forgetfulness, or stupidity, failing to complete the loading process with a ramrod. Shooting with the ball barely into the barrel can be cause for some considerable excitement, I'm told.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
Hey Bruce, yes. "Short starting" is the only term i see used to reference a ball not rammed home before lighting the charge.  Not good for a bbl or shooter safety.  

And starting is starting, there are no medium and long starts.  

That's how i crumble the cookie (this day), feel free to call 'em whatever you like.

article wrt "short started" ball:  http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/bulge/bulge.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:30:26 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
I don't think so and it one of those things that most purists say is a purely 20th century invention.

There were various devices used for starting projectiles down bore in the 19th century, especially among target shooters.

bnail

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
Hey Bruce, yes. "Short starting" is the only term i see used to reference a ball not rammed home before lighting the charge.  Not good for a bbl or shooter safety.  

And starting is starting, there are no medium and long starts.  

That's how i crumble the cookie (this day), feel free to call 'em whatever you like.

article wrt "short started" ball:  http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/bulge/bulge.html

gotcha  Thanks. should've  realized that was the issue.  Never thought about a ball starter creating that kind of hazard. And I'm absent minded enough to be susceptible to short starting.  Keep all shiny object away while shooting.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
The first mention I know of sure for a short starter was in the late 1830's-early 1840's by either Wesson or his partner. The object described was definitely a short starter and was to be used with a false muzzle, so the object itself definitely pre-dates the 20th Century. Whether short starters were used on rifles with regular muzzles is another question that so far is still controversial.

I'll try later today to find the quote and post it.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Does the Hunting outfit of Mountain Man Modena have a short starter? I might be thinking of someone else.

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »
Does the Hunting outfit of Mountain Man Modena have a short starter? I might be thinking of someone else.
Not that I know of here's a layout of his gear:
https://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/horn/Modena-horn-4.jpg

the image is from Jim Gordon's 3 volume set of books “Great Gunmakers for the Early West” don't remember which volume
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:34:15 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »
I am still a firm believer that the early longrifle shooters didn't patch or load their balls a tight as we tend to want to do now days.   Lots time they didn't have time to go through all that process.   I think everything was done with only the ramrod and it was loose enough to cause no problems when loading.
iloco

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
Goodnight's rig shows a starter...I think?
OOps, no it doesn't...just has a round loading block...
sorry
tc  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:24:34 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
In the Kentuckey Rifle Hunting Pouch book it shows a 52 caliber loading block but doesn't show a short starter. This is Goodnights rig.
iloco

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »
Thanks for that photo Chuck, I have that book too and have been to Jim's museum in Glorieta several times but was too busy to dig out the book.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 01:30:13 AM »
Without taking sides on this issue I can see a longhunter smacking the patched ball flush with the muzzle using the handle of his knife.  From there it is certainly possible to seat the prb the rest of the way with just the rr.  I've done this myself many times in the past.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 06:17:32 AM »
When I became interested in shooting black powder, I did not have the benefit of the 'internet' or very many reference works either.  But I did make the acquaintance of an elderly (about my age now) man who hailed from Tennessee.  He introduced me to a book by Ned Roberts - 'The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" which I purchased from him, he having several copies.  Mr Roberts leaned about shooting muzzle loading rifles from his Uncle Alvero (sp?), shortly after the American Civil War.  Roberts spoke frequently of using a short starter to introduce the tightly patched round lead ball into the muzzle of the rifle, and in his book, illustrated with drawings and photos such devices, from his time period.  Many times, they were associated with target rifles that had false muzzles, and they were machined metal fixtures that fit over the muzzle of the rifle to start a ball,  cylindrical conoidal bullet, picket bullet, or sugar loaf bullet.  But there were also simple knobbed dowels to start the ball.  I've been using them ever since the early 70's, a short hundred years after Ned did the same.  I am far more interested in shooting all day without having to wipe my bore, and jealously steal every bit of accuracy I can from my barrels.  In my opinion, this requires a patch/lube/ball combo that cannot be started with just your thumb, or without extreme difficulty, the ramrod alone.  But that's the way my stick floats!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
Without taking sides on this issue I can see a longhunter smacking the patched ball flush with the muzzle using the handle of his knife.  From there it is certainly possible to seat the prb the rest of the way with just the rr.  I've done this myself many times in the past.

James Audubon described a hunter preparing to head out on a coon hunt in the early 19th Century:
"… He blows through his rifle to ascertain that it is clear, examines his flint, and thrusts a feather into the touch-hole. To a leathern bag swung at his side is attached a powder-horn; his sheath-knife is there also; below hangs a narrow strip of homespun linen. He takes from his bag a bullet, pulls with his teeth the wooden stopper from his powder-horn, lays the ball in one hand, and with the other pours the powder upon it until it is just overtopped. Raising the horn to his mouth, he again closes it with the stopper, and restores it to its place. He introduces the powder into the tube; springs the box of his gun, greases the "patch" over with some melted tallow, or damps it; then places it on the honey-combed muzzle of his piece. The bullet is placed on the patch over the bore, and pressed with the handle of the knife, which now trims the edge of the linen. The elastic hickory rod, held with both hands, smoothly pushes the ball to its bed; once, twice, thrice has it rebounded. The rifle leaps as it were into the hunters arms, the feather is drawn from the touch-hole, the powder fills the pan, which is closed. “Now I’m ready,” cries the woodsman….

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
I want to say thanks for the last two comments.
I'm with Taylor in that I learned from the "old guys" and now I'm one of the "old guys". I do as I was taught and what works for me. I too learned much from Ned Robert's book which was given to me by Mike Nesbitt. I've been more of a competition shooter so I use a short starter. I'm not bothered by whether it is PC or not.
That said, I love the passage posted by Chuck. It explains it well. I too have used my patch knife for just such a purpose.
Good topic, good comments.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Sir Michael

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Regarding Short Starters:

The British Army Rifle Regiment were equiped with what was referred to as a loading mallet.  However, no detail descriptions or instructions for use have ever been found.

Along this same line, I found this regarding a similar device used by the U.S. Army:

Practical Instructions for Military Officers, for the District of Massachusetts, published 1811

Equipment

The balls attached to the cartridges are enclosed in a linen or milled leather patch well saturated with grease; when the powder is emptied into the rifle, the ball is to be separated from the paper, placed upon the muzzle and driven in with a stroke of the mallet, as will be described in the exercise of the rifle.

The bayonet must be slung on the left side, in a scabbard, the belt of which buckles round the waist.

The pouch is worn in front like those of the cavalry, and the belt also buckles round the waist.  To this belt a case is fitted for the handle of the mallet, which must hang down the right thigh.

Loading from Cartridge

V. Load!  One Compound Motion
Turn up the right hand and shake the powder into the barrel, pressing the cartridge with the thumb and finger, to force out the powder; instantly bring the paper to the mouth and with the teeth separate it from the ball and, patch, which place upon the muzzle, the stitched side up, and instantly slide the left hand to the muzzle and place the fore finger upon the ball; at the same time, with the right hand, grasp the mallet, draw it partly out, and seize the handle.

VI. Drive Ball!  One Compound Motion
Bring up the mallet, flipping the finger from the ball, and with one or two strokes drive the ball into the muzzle; with a quick motion, place the end of the handle upon the ball and grasp it with the thumb and finger of the left hand, and with a few smart strokes upon the mallet with the right hand, drive the ball down the full length of the handle; instantly return the mallet to its sheath and seize the ramrod with the thumb and finger of the same hand, the thumb up.

Loading Loose Ball and Powder

V. Load! One Compound Motion
Pour the powder into the barrel, drop the measure and grasp the rifle with the left hand a little below the right; disengage the right hand, carry it down to the pouch, take out a ball and patch and carry them to the muzzle, place the patch upon the muzzle and the ball upon the patch, flip up the left hand and place the fore finger upon the ball, the other fingers round the muzzle, and with the right seize the mallet as in loading with cartridge.

VI Drive Ball - As explained in Loading with Cartridge

My guess is that these instructions may well have come from U.S. Officers reading British Army manuals.

I would also question why non of the at approximately 1000 men of just one battalion didn't take the use of this device home when they got out of the Army.

In addition there is a patent issued by the U.S. Patent Office for a false muzzle design.

U.S. Patent, #1565
Alvan Clark
April 24, 1840

Justification

… thus more effectually saving the patch from injury, facilitating the loading, enabling the shooter to load as tight as desirable, and at the same time to dispense with the use of the mallet and stick in loading; and also preserving the barrel from injury and wear.

The implication of the above justification for the patent would indicate that loading mallets and sticks were in sufficient widespread use and that there was value in eliminating the need for their use.

It also makes the case that a fair number of people were using either something similar to a single piece short starter like the military loading mallet or were using a two piece short starting system of a mallet and stick.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
When I became interested in shooting black powder, I did not have the benefit of the 'internet' or very many reference works either.  But I did make the acquaintance of an elderly (about my age now) man who hailed from Tennessee.  He introduced me to a book by Ned Roberts - 'The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" which I purchased from him, he having several copies.  Mr Roberts leaned about shooting muzzle loading rifles from his Uncle Alvero (sp?), shortly after the American Civil War.  Roberts spoke frequently of using a short starter to introduce the tightly patched round lead ball into the muzzle of the rifle, and in his book, illustrated with drawings and photos such devices, from his time period.  Many times, they were associated with target rifles that had false muzzles, and they were machined metal fixtures that fit over the muzzle of the rifle to start a ball,  cylindrical conoidal bullet, picket bullet, or sugar loaf bullet.  But there were also simple knobbed dowels to start the ball.  I've been using them ever since the early 70's, a short hundred years after Ned did the same.  I am far more interested in shooting all day without having to wipe my bore, and jealously steal every bit of accuracy I can from my barrels.  In my opinion, this requires a patch/lube/ball combo that cannot be started with just your thumb, or without extreme difficulty, the ramrod alone.  But that's the way my stick floats!
  Well Said, I agree. and thanks for sharing it.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:53:08 AM »
I have a copy of Ned Roberts book and (educated guess) the use of a ball starting tool must have predated him.  His mentor surely used them in his youth.  This begs the question, from whom did he learn of them?  And when? 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »
Then as now different folks had different circumstances and different needs.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »
I have a copy of Ned Roberts book and (educated guess) the use of a ball starting tool must have predated him.  His mentor surely used them in his youth.  This begs the question, from whom did he learn of them?  And when? 

good question

Today, many 'shooters'  are just happy their gun goes off and piece paper can be hit, to the other extreme of the guys who aren't happy unless successive balls barely enlarge the small oblong hole put in the target by the first 2 shots.  We are a wide group of many associated, but somewhat different interests. What drives some to perfection in the sport, would drive others from the sport.  We are a group of similarly minded individuals with quite differing interests in the same basic sport.  Thus, what floats someone's 'stick' might not float someone else's. We have to maintain an open mind, difficult at times for mere mortals.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kermit

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 01:33:27 AM »
Daryl, I think I'll dust off my calligraphy skills and copy that on fine velum, frame it, and hang it on the wall. Very well said, my man. It might keep me from putting my foot in my mouth so much. Maybe.