Author Topic: Sight/Barrel Lug Solder Hold-Down  (Read 5312 times)

BrushCountryAg03

Sight/Barrel Lug Solder Hold-Down
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:11:20 AM »
Howdy everyone,

After not being on here for a time, I thought I'd return with a contribution:  My New favorite method of holding anything down on a barrel while soldering.  (Great things are born out of desperation and frustration)

I made this from items which all came from LOWES:

- Pipe Hanger (Pluming)
 - 3/8" Thumb Screw w/ nut & Washers
 - 1/8" thick Mild Steel

omark

Re: Sight/Barrel Lug Solder Hold-Down
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »
Very good way of doing that.  Thanks.    Mark

B Staley

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:38:20 PM »
I like that nice idea.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
Alright, something else to build.  I love making tools.  That is a neat setup.  I see a distraction for me in the near future, and I don't even have a project coming up where I could use it.  Did I mention I love making tools.  ;D
David

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
Below is my front sight and bbl lug clamp for soldering. It works w/ both  octogon and round bbls. A clamp supplying light force is used at the short straight length. I like the idea of a band clamp for a round bbl. ....very stable.....Fred

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
Wow, kind of like a Kreighoff shotgun, If it could be made with three parts, they would
do it with six.  Fred is close, but I bend that far end down, then clamp it using a parallel clamp about 2" from the back end.    Plenty of spring in that steel so that when
the solder melts it just squeezes the sight or underlug down into place............Don

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
   Don posted photos of his real simple jig several; years ago.  I made one up out of heavy duty metal strapping...the kind like they used before they went to plastic .  Anyhow, Don's idea which is very close to what Fred pictured works very well, and I use my copy often.  I am sure both will work, but I am old so I KISS. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
I use a set of vice grips to hold my round lugs for soldering. I can adjust the tension to be light enough for a light tapping to line up the lug with my center line if anything shifts.

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:24 AM »
Thanks for all of the compliments gentlemen.  For me, the priceless part of this set-up is once I have it clamped on the barrel at the correct position, I can just swing the arm out of the way while fluxing/tinning and then swing it back and lock it down without wasting time with the other Mickey-Mouse methods I've tried before.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:52 AM »
Wow, kind of like a Kreighoff shotgun, If it could be made with three parts, they would
do it with six.  ............Don
I kind of like the Rube Goldberg approach.  :D
David

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:21:44 AM »
When I was a wee brat I used to turn to Rube Goldberg in the Sunday funnies first thing. I loved examining the convoluted systems. By all rights it should have made me an engineer.

When Don showed his fixture, I bent one out of a scrap of brass flat bar. It doesn't take much pressure to hold the lug/sight in place or squeeze things when the solder flows. Works great.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline whitebear

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »
If it hasn't already been put into the Shop Made Tools category it should be,
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot