Author Topic: Comb location  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Kermit

Comb location
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm in the process of lining out a stock for a fowling piece, so I've been looking at info online about stock dimensions. It seems bespoke shotgun stockers are like baseball managers-- they measure and quantify everything possible. I see a lot of info and measurements for drop at the comb, but not much on the position of the comb fore-and-aft. There is some discussion on the importance of the trigger-to-comb measurement, kind of like LOP, but I haven't seen anything that helps actually locate that point? Any ideas?

If it helps, what I've drawn so far has the LOP at 14 3/4, drops are 1 1/2 at comb, 2 1/2 at heel. These are just for talking, since I have yet to put saw to wood.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Comb location
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
If you have 'Flintlock Fowlers' or 'Rifles of Colonial America' or other reference books, you can proportion the comb length from the photos. I usually leave the comb a tad long, and then cut it back once I'm able to shoulder the stock and see where my thumb and nose line up. Once you've got the mechanics right, adjust the proportions for appearance.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:36:11 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:33 AM »
Good advice, Tom.

Your drop measurements sound good...good to keep the comb relatively parallel to the bore, without excess drop at the heel.  But make sure you consider what you are doing with the pitch of the butt.  If you put a lot of pitch into the butt, like on a reproduction Tulle musket, you'll find the stock wants to punch you silly (in the face).  If on the other hand, your pitch is fairly neutral, you will enjoy shooting the gun much more.

14 3/4" LOP?????????  Really?  You'd have to be 6'6' tall and have llooonnnnngggggg arms.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »
Close, Taylor! I'm 6' 5" and wear a 37" sleeve (from center back). I'm starting with plenty of wood since my board stretcher is on the fritz. I'm planning to keep the comb high to start and see how it feels, then fit the buttplate when that settles. Pitch probably somewhere 3 to 5 degrees.

Good idea, Acer. Start forward and work it back. Not thinking. That's why I have you guys.  :-\

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:25 AM »
Good advice, Tom.

Your drop measurements sound good...good to keep the comb relatively parallel to the bore, without excess drop at the heel.  But make sure you consider what you are doing with the pitch of the butt.  If you put a lot of pitch into the butt, like on a reproduction Tulle musket, you'll find the stock wants to punch you silly (in the face).  If on the other hand, your pitch is fairly neutral, you will enjoy shooting the gun much more.

14 3/4" LOP?????????  Really?  You'd have to be 6'6' tall and have llooonnnnngggggg arms.

Having too much negative (?) pitch (when the gun is butt down on a flat surface the barrel tips "down" more than an inch or 2") can result in a really bad recoil characteristics since besides causing the butt to rise on the shoulder it reduces the recoil distribution to a smaller area at the top of the buttplate.  In a shotgun butt I like something near 0 pitch.  Barrel virtually vertical, though inletting plate can cause this to change slightly due "variations".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:30:01 AM »
Thanks, Dan. I've been thinking to keep it under 3 degrees. I've been looking at numbers on modern clay-busting scatterguns. I'm building a "fantasy" gun anyway, and not looking to copy any historical style.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »
Thank you, Dan, that's a really good description of pitch, and the effect that it has.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
What Acer said, Dan. In all the discussions on pitch in these forums, that was the first one that was easy to understand. Every other one required a pencil, paper and a calculator.
Best regards,
Dale