Author Topic: inletting tapered round barrel  (Read 4519 times)

Offline whitebear

inletting tapered round barrel
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:15 AM »
I am soon going to start inletting my first round tapered barrel.  I intend to use angle iron clamped to the barrel to locate the edges for inletting.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice.  The barrel is 28" long and 1.145 at the breech tapering to
.758 at the muzzle with a .615 bore.  It is going into a nice piece of American black walnut that is 3" thick.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline smylee grouch

Re: inletting tapered round barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »
What kind of gun will it be?  Will it have any cast?

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:09:57 AM »
What kind of gun will it be?  Will it have any cast?

It is to be a short barreled 20 gauge flintlock shotgun.  I am considering doing cast off but haven't completely decided yet.  Give me your thoughts on this.
In the beginning God...

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:23:56 AM »
Once you shoulder a gun with cast-off, you'll wonder how you shot without it.  I usually inlet a rd. bbl. somewhat as you mentioned, but I measure 1/2 bbl. depth & drill shallow holes in wood, after laying out the outer edge and cutting a 3/32" deep line slightly inside the bbl. dim. so you can sneek up on the actual dim.  A few "U" gouges & a round scraper will cut your  channel.  Heres a 24 bore X 26" bbl. shorty.   click to see process...Tom

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:41 AM »
Or send the barrel and wood to someone who inlets by machine. Dave Rase, Knob Mtn, for starters.

I used to inlet by hand, never again.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
Acer, I agree with you but I have a whole lot more time than I do money so I best get to sharpening chisels.

Gunmaker I have built longrifles with cast off and I agree with you completely but will putting cast off in a gun like you and I are making be correct to the stile and period of use?

You and I are thinking very closely along the same lines my barrel is exactly like yours.
I am using a Navy Arms, Harpers Ferry flintlock that I bought from someone on the forum.  My barrel came from Numrich Arms.  I had not thought of the patchbox, or the sling swivels, or the thumb piece but now I am considering them.  I have quite a few nickels that were run over by a freight train and squashed flat.  I probably will use one for the thumb piece.  I like your overall stile and design and will probably copy it somewhat if you don't mind.

I recently bought a copy of "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" also from a forum member and I wanted to try some of the things that he suggested.  I have several walnut half stocks that will make a full stock for the barrel I have so I am going to make this gun to try some of his suggestions.  Thanks for the pictures and advice I may be aggravating you again later with questions.

In the beginning God...

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
Gunmaker, Did you have to ream your barrel or did you use it like it was?
In the beginning God...

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
Hey Whitebear
    While I no longer inlet long barrels by hand (Dave Rase does that for me), I still do every pistol barrel by hand, most of which have been oct-round or full round.  My method for starting is much like Gunmaker - I measure just over half depth in the stock, maybe 1/16" deeper than center, and draw that profile on the side of the stock.  I set up my drill press (little bench top model from the 80s, cost 25 bucks on craigslist, worth every cent), and set the depth stop where the line is at the breech.  Drill the hole with a 3/8 to 1/2" bit, then move it over, set the depth, drill the next hole, etc.  It takes a little while, but you can usually drill 5-10 holes without adjusting the depth stop.  Go the whole length of the channel and when you're done chisel out the wood in between - you'll now be within a few scraper passes of an accurate bottom profile.  I lay the barrel on top of that groove, then roughly trace the sides onto the wood - next cut to within 1/8" or so of the lines with a gouge, then you can draw more accurate lines as the barrel drops in.  The last 32" or so is done with scrapers and lamp soot.  It goes surprisingly quickly once you get past the drilling part. 
   As for cast off - I use between 1/8 and 3/16 on every gun I build.  On one earlier one I did (that is my regular shooter) I used about 5/16, too much, but still comfortable in the smaller caliber that it is.  If you haven't built one with cast off, its well worth your effort to try it!  Good luck,
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline RichG

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »
when you get the barrel channel roughed out Brownells carries round scrappers used on modern guns that I think would work great on a round barrel channel.